Parade Of Champions Review

This was my first DCA experience this year, so be patient as my comments may still be in somewhat of a DCI mode. I attended with my wife and 2 girls, ages 10 and 12, all of whom have seen plenty of drum corps action.

After originally finding soccer at the High School, and asking for some directions, (against every male gene in my body), we arrived at Clarks Summit Elementary just as the rain started to fall. The Cabs started their run through as we walked up the ramp to the small bleachers and stood on the top one, about the right 45, under an umbrella. A few things struck me right away.

The first was the age of the MMs, which from our standpoint seemed younger than we expected, especially in the battery.

The second was the positive energy of the corps as they pushed through the rain. The brass was powerful and pretty clean, with the exception of a few attack and release issues I could hear from the middle voices in front of us, and a few gacks by the sop soloists. I liked the 12 contras and their staging in the show. The drum line was solid and seemed to be playing some tough parts, with nice timing and energy from the pit.

The third was the familiarity of the music, and my immediate desire to start bouncing up and down to the rhythms. I enjoyed hearing strains of Malaga, Spain, and Concierto de Aranjuez, as well as a new but familiar ending. When they wheeled the front on the 50 at the end, I found myself looking forward to how exciting the show would be in white satin under the lights.

We blasted my 71 DCA finals cd in the car, (Cabs, Sky, and Rebs), as we headed for a late lunch/early dinner at the Summit Diner downtown. Decent food from this small place, I always like their breakfast anytime of day. Then we headed to the Steamtown Mall to wait out the rain and do some back to school at Steve and Barry’s. I recommend this chain if you have never been, everything 6.95!

We drove into the stadium lot as the sky started to clear, and looked up some friends in Sky. We reminisced about some of the great shows in the stadium over the years, (even though the old stadium was gone and replaced with this nice new facility). We changed clothes in the car, adults in BD garb, and the girls in their 27th and Bayonne retro T’s, and made our way to the ticket window, opted for the 15.00 GA seats, and wiped off the bleachers about 20 rows up on the left 40. The attendance was a little sparse, not surprising considering the weather, so there was plenty of room to spread out. Nice AT surface, and big stands on the backside under which corps waited to come on.

The 7:30 start was right on time, with the Legion presenting the colors. Interesting that the youngest guy in the honor guard, (by maybe 20 years), was the only one who couldn’t stay in step. Legion dignitaries lead The Pledge of Allegiance, and one sang a decent rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. Hall of Famer Dr. AJ Sebastianelli, (been hearing that name in Scranton since I was born, and I’m OLD), introduced 10 or so Legion dignitaries. The “pre game” was done by 7:40, and it was announced the first corps, (Cabs), would be on at 8:00. The 20 minutes seemed like a strange time void to me. Had they gotten right going, the last 2 corps would have finished before the rain came.

When the DM’s fire up the battery, and lead the arm swingers onto the field, I got Goosebumps. The kids even commented on how cool the Cabs uni’s were. The performance was solid. Some nice guard work. There were some visual issues in many of the sets, and fewer attack and release issues than the run, a very nice horn line. The soloists were clean. The drum line was smokin! We were on our feet at the end of the show. Gotta believe the "first on" start affected the scoring. I had them 2nd.

Hurcs were next with their JCSS show. Tough spot for them to follow Cabs. Nice sop solo work! The drill had several holes and set issues. Seemed like a couple of brass players had glaring horn move and marching issues, over and over. The wife commented that a couple heads were way to small for the size caps they were wearing. The brass line seemed to run out of gas a little.

Sky took the field next, and I got the same goose bumps when they fired up the street beat and took the field. The 21 brass performed with heart. Some visual issues with the apparently recently added horn moves etc. The drum line was solid. They do a nice job with Bohemian Rhapsody, ending the show with a lot of energy. Found myself wishing they had more numbers, as the performance level and show are worthy.

Bush came out with their 25th anniversary show. The baris in the first half of the show were the LOUDEST of the night, and played very well. The drill was performed well, only some minor set issues. I felt like the drum line was off a few times. The girls perked up with the opening strains of Rocky Point Holiday. I felt like doing Rocky Point was a mistake. I kept being disappointed with the performance as I compared it to Cadets, both musically and visually. They also had the misfortune of the rain starting for the last 3rd of the show, and there was little applause and few stood at the end, as everybody seemed to be holding onto their umbrellas and keeping their bleacher seats dry. I was impressed by the announcer’s point of how they had made finals in all 24 previous years of their existence. I didn’t see them being a close 3rd, much less 2nd, but what do I know.

Bucs came on without plumes as the rain was coming down pretty steady. The guard left garbage bags on their rifles where they left them on the front sideline, trying to keep them dry before they picked them up. Since we had no umbrellas, the girls headed down for some cover, and I moved up next to the press box in anticipation of the nights best visual. Bolero was a nice OTL, and the visual sets and marching performance, even in the wet conditions were clearly the best of the night. The machine-like move they do at the end of Bolero reminded me of a robot move done this year by a DCI corps,(who is less than a favorite of ours.) I loved the book, recognizing everything they do, including 2 tunes I remember from my days of performing, Capriccio Espanol and Sheherazade. Overall a nice winning performance by all sections, and a shot at another title IMO.

We got out to the lot to visit with my buddy in SKY, just as he finished his post show refreshment, and got called to the field for the DM only retreat. From a purely selfish standpoint, we wish Finals was in our back yard again this year, as there will be a lot to enjoy.

Edited by truman

Sky took the field next, and I got the same goose bumps when they fired up the street beat and took the field. The 21 brass performed with heart. Some visual issues with the apparently recently added horn moves etc. The drum line was solid. No keyboards in the pit has to hurt the score. They do a nice job with Bohemian Rhapsody, ending the show with a lot of energy. Found myself wishing they had the numbers to do the show and corps justice.

i am not understanding your comment here ..... we do have keyboards in the pit .....

i am not understanding your comment here ..... we do have keyboards in the pit .....

:(

OOPS

very sorry...my bad

guess I was distracted by the "flames"?

I edited that section as it didn't come out the way I meant it to.

please forgive me?

Edited by truman

Cab's When the DM’s fire up the battery, and lead the arm swingers onto the field, I got Goosebumps. The kids even commented on how cool the Cabs uni’s were. The performance was solid. Some nice guard work. There were some visual issues in many of the sets, and fewer attack and release issues than the run, a very nice horn line. The soloists were clean. The drum line was smokin! We were on our feet at the end of the show. Gotta believe the "first on" start affected the scoring. I had them 2nd.

Bush came out with their 25th anniversary show. The baris in the first half of the show were the LOUDEST of the night, and played very well. The drill was performed well, only some minor set issues. I felt like the drum line was off a few times. The girls perked up with the opening strains of Rocky Point Holiday. I felt like doing Rocky Point was a mistake. I kept being disappointed with the performance as I compared it to Cadets, both musically and visually. They also had the misfortune of the rain starting for the last 3rd of the show, and there was little applause and few stood at the end, as everybody seemed to be holding onto their umbrellas and keeping their bleacher seats dry. I was impressed by the announcer’s point of how they had made finals in all 24 previous years of their existence. I didn’t see them being a close 3rd, much less 2nd, but what do I know.

Nice review, couldn’t agree more

I think the rain may have put a damper on the Buc’s

performance tonight. Buc’s Color Guard is clearly the best

great colors and costume. Thought Bush was pretty good also, the drill seemed thin at times, with what looks like lots of blanks in the brass line

Cab’s on first again, Not quit as exciting as Kingston, but cleaner and very powerful. The Color Guard has come along way. The only thing “visual lacking” is some cleaning and clarity. I think the build into the fifty from the left side of the field, is the most visually exciting moment in DCA. The coordination and brass staging is excellent, and drum line has the most movement, visual involvement and interest of any drum line. OK. I'm a Cab fan, but do think the show has the best pacing and excitement in DCA this year

Edited by SKEK_SOP