Marching perc books

louderisbetter

As a music educator, with a few short years of college to learn dozens of instruments, it's really hard to cram enough info into the brain to teach kids beyond the middle school level. For most people, it just takes a few years of teaching (read: learning) to get into the groove.

One thing I've definitely gotten no good information on is marching percussion. Thus, I'm looking for books that cover the essentials: technique, exercises, common issues and how to approach them, etc. I'm not a percussion novice, but I never had the opportunity to spend time in a battery, so I'm looking for resources to help my students kick it up to the next level.

If you've got a few moments to jot down your favorite books or other resources, I'll love you forever. And my future percussionists will, as well. Thanks!

Gussick and Casella have a book called "Fresh Perspectives for the Modern Drumline" ... a lot SCV stuff and things you might be interested in. But please take

into consideration it is the Santa Clara Vanguard they are talking about in that book... so apply appropriately to the level you are instructing.

You know... there sure ain't anything wrong with the old Haskell Harr books for those taking their first few steps...

No matter what or who your ensemble is, the Tapspace books - Fresh Perspectives and Upfront - are great resources for writing, teaching, etc.

I'm partial to the Bachman books (Bass Logic, Quad Logic, Rudimental Logic. GREAT for "newbs"), Freytag's Rudimental Cookbook (it has some technique stuff in the beginning, but the solos progress pretty quickly for beinngers in terms of difficulty. LOTS of technique needed to play these properly), and Wessel's Fresh Approach (I realize Fresh Approach is not strictly a marching book, but it's LOADED with great educational techniques and information up the wazzoo: 2 play-along discs, a DVD, and 40-rudiment poster)

My suggestion is to get all 4 books. The Wessels and Bachman lay out the technique PERFECTLY (from rebound strokes to down strokes to great techniques for teaching up strokes, sweep technique, BD technique, etc) and then you can use the cookbook to build chops.

Best

CJT

Read as much as you can, as you shold to learn in general.

I'd agree with all above books but would the Championship Concept for Marching Percussion by Thom Hannum and a book by James Campbell whose name slips me by just now!

Im sure Dennis Delucia has released one in the past too.

Read as much as you can, as you shold to learn in general.

I'd agree with all above books but would the Championship Concept for Marching Percussion by Thom Hannum and a book by James Campbell whose name slips me by just now!

Im sure Dennis Delucia has released one in the past too.

I concur, the Hannum book is chok full of basic line excerises all the way up to a piece from The Cadets. Thom covers all aspects of marching percussion, with a nice cymbal section. He has rehearsal techniques, orchestration, voicing, setting a line etc. If you get one book for marching percussion THIS IS THE BOOK.

No matter what or who your ensemble is, the Tapspace books - Fresh Perspectives and Upfront - are great resources for writing, teaching, etc.

:blush::blush::blink:

Bachman other than Quad Logic and maybe Rudimental Logic: <**> <**> <**>

stick control by stone,,,solos by john pratt