if you notice a theme below, every hornline had moments where...well...there needed more voulme. I dont know if it was me, the stadium, the weather, or the horn lines, but it's what i felt, so sorry if i seem to be beating a dead horse. I dont like all loud all the time, but i do like impacts and big moments to deliver, and on this night, i felt all the corps had that issue.

that said:

The show started off with The Exeter Township High School Marching Band in exhibition. Performing their “I Spy” show for the fans, they featured the music of “Secret Agent Man”, “Mission Impossible”, “Scooby Doo”, “Batman”, “Austin Powers”, “Peter Gunn”, and “the Pink Panther”. All in all a fun, crowd pleasing show that should entertain fans wherever they go this fall.

White Sabers: Sop solo to starts “Feelin Good” stronger than last view, and basses do a nice job with the swing feel underneath. Pit has come nice vamping parts as well as it builds to a standstill hit. Brass seemed a little underwhelming at the first hit, though they recovered at the tempo change, and the down and dirty bluesy feel hit started strong, had a small balance issue, but recovered well…soloist not projecting well over corps here. Corps does a nice job as the song dies down to a quiet ending.

Save The Last Dance For Me starts with pit to battery on accessories had some timing issues. Visually as the song chugs along, the sabers are visually featured, though, IMO, the work doesn’t match the feel of the music. Sop soloist does a nice job setting up for the push that leads to the drum solo. Battery to brass balance good here. Drum solo of Conga allows all sections of the battery to be featured several times, though the keys weren’t lining up with the battery front to back. All sections of the battery have improved performance since last viewing, but still some dirt due to individuals letting technique lapse in order to hype.

Visually behind the drum line the corps is using neon colored banners with the whole guard on rifles which definitely is eye catching as it makes the corps appear much larger.

“Don’t Cry For me Argentina” is, IMO, the corps’ best piece. It opens with a nice contra/pit duet, and then goes into a mello solo which blends into a mello feature. Battery here does a great job supporting the Latin feel. At the hit, the guards purple swing flags work well with the corps blue uniforms, and the corps displays a warm musical sound. As the song fades out, we have a mello solo restating the main line which fades into a sop/mello suet with both going way up the octave.

‘Tiger Of San Pedro” starts strong with a nice ensemble blend on the syncopated rhythms in the trade off between the sops and mellos. The timing going into the big push was a little shaky but recovered and the corps seems to have captured the feel of the piece and does a good job making the song groove. The transition into the ending is, IMO super abrupt, but designed well visually as it allows the smaller horn line to be upfront so as not to be over powered by the battery. The brass did lose some power at the onset of the transition, but recovered well by the time they sneak the “Argentina” lick back in.

IMO…musically much better, but still some balance issues brass to perc, and timing issues, esp. in the drum solo. Visually corps looks better individually, but lots of transition issues going from set to set.

Crusaders: I am sure I will get hate mail, but…I’m just not getting it. After the opener, IMO, the show just doesn’t gel.

Bari solo opens the “Firedbird” with the contras joining in underneath, and it trades to a mello solo. Here the pit scoring with four mallet work helps add to the bottom sound. Sops on side 1 a touch shaky as they enter, but the battery holds it together with some nice buzz roll work to help the mysterioso feel. The last chord before the tempo change however sounded rough.

Pit starts tempo change, and the battery was a bit overpowering here….everyone was distracted by one of the large props in the back slowly blowing front field until staff could control it. As the corps moved to the final push, the brass seemed tired, as the sound didn’t project like it had a month ago.

Pit starts off “Light My Fire” with some nice work, and the battery here lays down a nice rock groove feel, and the soprano soloist was on his game here. The entire soprano feature came across really, as did the mellos, but the low brass seemed a bit rough. As the song built up to the big hit, again the brass seemed to lose some steam. Noticed many people blow the lower body move at the halt.

Stairway begins with a nice pit intro, and the contras sell the bass line well here. The guard makes the moment visually with some really eye catching swing flags, but as the brass built to the peak of the ballad section, again it didn’t seem to make it where it feels like it should. Pit starts off the tempo change, and here the battery was a touch overpowering building to the hit. Sops come across nicely at the rock out section, but the last chord seemed to not reach the level of the previous few bars. Nice job on the sop solo to take the tune into the down ending with the pit.

“Firebird” drum solo has some nice ideas musically and visually with the feel work written, but performance was off…both within the ensemble and within sections. Visually the battery does move a lot with the rifles amongst them doing work. However, IMO, the transition into “Schools Out” is just…blah. It’s like, hey we’re done ramming, now here’s the horn line. The moment just doesn’t happen.

In Schools Out the corps builds to a nice hit before the next drum break, where the battery goes for a more throw down style of feature. Battery actually plays the section they move better than the standing still ones. However it doesn’t build to a nice conclusion to set the horns up for the re-entry, and the brass was shaky for the first bar or 2 when they came back in. they recovered well, but seemed winded, and the transition into the up tempo ending is again very abrupt….brass sounds gassed at end .

IMO: a collection of songs that just don’t flow. Still battery performance issues, and pit to battery timing issues. Transitions into brass re-entries are quite abrupt, and don’t leave you feeling like a moment has happened. Brass seemed gassed at the end, and the transition into the ending is way too jarring.

Gold: the corps opens in a block with the guard in a straight line while a sop soloist starts “you’re Still A Young Man” off nicely with the brass building up behind them to make the hit come to life. The crowd especially loved the sop feature with more than a few players going high…ending can be bigger though.

What Is Hip begins with a nice full sound, and the battery is throwing down a nice groove behind them. After the hit ends, we have a nice mello/sop trade off section that lets each section do their thing. Corps does a nice job playing with the feel needed for TOP, though the hit leading into the perc break had some minor timing issues. After the break, the guard is well integrated into the corps form. The soprano solo fest that follows is definitely a crowd pleaser, and the balance with the corps slowly building up behind them is well done. A few minor timing issues as the corps moves to the end of the song, featuring a well done bass run and higher octave soprano work.

The pit starts off “you can’t fall Up” with some really pretty scoring on the keyboards that fades into a nice groove with ethnic drums. Visually the brass is in pods of 2 spread across the field that slowly builds into a nice flowing open form while playing the melodic intro. A mello/bari duet sets up the main line with some nice groove work in the battery voice. The guard here does some nice body work and also uses stools the same baby color of their uniforms. As the corps plays backfield, they do a good job, but the timing was a little shaky as they turned front for the hit. The hit itself once it settled in worked well, and the guards purple flags helped sell the moment, though I wanted the hit to be bigger. A nice mello/bari duet at the end allows the song to fade out, while the battery starts a new tempo underneath.

The perc break takes us into “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride” which features some nice ensemble sounds with some tough syncopation from the full corps. As the song builds to the perc hit, the guard is on side 2 on all weapons. The final chord leading into the perc break should be bigger IMO. Perc break itself allows all sections to be featured with some creative writing, though there are a few performance issues. The conclusion of the break has the snares playing on a rack that has cymbals and trash can lids on it and builds to a nice big ending. The brass re-entry was done well with some high sop work again evident. As the corps builds to the conclusion the sop soloists again go wild, though the perc break leading into the final push to the end had some issues.

IMO: fun show, handles the tough stuff well for the most part. Stands still way too much, and it shows on the recaps. Perc had some performance issues, but does a nice job capturing the groove feel needed. Probably a finalist, and kind of late to add a lot of drill in, but maybe some body stuff to make the standstills not seem so overdone can help there.

Brigs: newest addition to the show is what looks to be large window frames spread out across the field with red cloth hanging like a curtain. Nice pit scoring and battery work underneath sop solo helping add to the myserioso feel of the opening. No balance issues with brass playing backfield. The brass is strong as they turn front for the hit in a triangle. Pit sets up tempo change with a mello/bari duet with guard around them with nice rifle work…here the corps moves under and around the props building up to a big hit with multi metered drill going on. Minor perc over balance building to the last big hit, but the hit resolves itself well and shows the corps has some power.

Battery starts off “Diamonds” with a nice swing feel with the brass doing some nice work to capture the feel building to the main line. The main line is traded by the mellos and sops, though the sops were overpowering at the start. Some nice saber work is staged upfront as the corps builds to the perc break, with the release having some nice high octave work. Perc break begins with the snares back sticking and adding in players as the feature builds. Battery here does a really nice job musically with the weapons in and around them visually. Brass re-entry works well though battery does over power for a few bars and brass doesn’t seem to match the battery’s intensity until the last few notes.

Pit starts off the ballad with some really nice work, lining up well with the corps spread all over the field behind them. Bari solo with contras and pit underneath works really well and the corps playing backfield when they come in also makes for a pretty moment. The guard’s blue flags and body work shines against the corps proper red uniforms and catches the eye. Visually the guard’s blue flags up front steal the show, though IMO, the hit doesn’t reach its full potential impact wise. As the hit dies out, the corps fades out to just the pit for a very pretty ending.

The Tango section starts off with some nice sop work over the corps…the corps does a good job with the tango feel. Nice bass run into the bari solo, though the battery was a touch loud here. Saber works here is well done especially the timing of the catch on the release of the tango phrase.

The corps accelerando into the next section had the battery over playing the sop soloist who missed the last note. Accell seemed shaky. From here the corps builds to the finish, though at times, I was confused until the very last perc break as to whom exactly was the lead voice…sop soloist, battery, or brass line. I just couldn’t get a read and it made the sound come across as muddled or unclarified. However after the perc break, the corps did end strong, though it does seem abrupt given the time to build up to it.

IMO; improved sine Lewisburg, though I felt a bit high given the issues at the end trying to decipher who had the lead. It came across as a long transition that I couldn’t figure out where it was going to resolve into the GE moment planned. Battery does a nice job, though overpowering at times, and brass doesn’t quite get the impacts as high as they could. Won’t hunt for the gold, but is strongly in that 5-8 fight.

Show delayed after Empire did their field warm-up due to the EMT’s tending to a member of the audience. Empire was allowed to warm up again.

Empire: “Georgia” opens with the contras and pit setting up that famous musical line with a nice swing feel. Tempo shifts with the sop solo and the corps running around the field, building to the hit which you can feel coming. Sop solo/snare lick takes you into the hit which was very strong musically, and the guard does a great job with the bright yellow flags catching your eye. Snares a bit loud though, and soloists can overpower the whole corps…though, that ain’t bad!

Corps then changes tempo and feel for Unchain My Heart with some nice mid voice work and some nice snare work both musically and visually building to the perc break with horn hits added in. however the horn hits seemed a bit soft compared to the battery. Joey then Ritchee go to the stratosphere for the tempo change into the standstill hit. The flags up front do a nice job with their work as the corps powers to the end.

“You Don’t Know me is next with Joey on the piano stage moving from side 1 to side 2. His solo works well against the pit scoring and corps playing backfield. The mello line is then featured at midfield, and they do a very good job carrying the melody facing front, and then do it playing backfield as the corps builds to the hit. Visually the corps moves to side to surround the pit for the hit with the guard on yellow/white flags to help make the corps look that much bigger out on side 2. As the hit resolves, Joey does some nice lower register playing that again lines up well with the brass backfield and the pit’s vamping.

As this dies down, the bottom bass sets up the new tempo into the percussion break with the snares starting as a trio, then up to 5 then to the full 7 person line ( I remembered ya Patsy!). The battery is really strong here but I had issues hearing the pit under them. Joey then starts off America with the corps playing softly underneath. this is true ray feel, then Ritchee comes into take the lead and goes way up there playing so many notes so fast and so high, you almost forget the corps building up to the end behind the. (Release needs to be bigger IMO)

Here I noticed the markers along the keyboard upfront telling us what years the songs played were done by Ray which helps give you the timeline for the theme.

After the full corps vocal introducing Ray, the battery and pit the feel and the corps keeps building and growing with all sections in the brass getting featured with a few tempo changes along the way building to a fun “hey” Ho” corps-audience exchange. After the vocals, the soloists again go nuts as the corps powers to a nice hit followed by a well done keyboard run that leads into the finish, which again, I thought could be bigger, as it appears they want you to buy that it’s a true ending.

From here, the full corps sings Georgia to start, but Ritchee takes over all by himself…and you don’t need any mics, here is clearly audible to all singing by himself. As he finishes, the corps dons shades and powers back in for the main Georgia melody (make bigger) and they hold the last note way out to make for a very strong ending.

IMO: new ending is going to bring down the house. Corps came to play, and I can’t disagree with anything I see on the recaps. Show makes visual sense with the guard creating all the color to play off the corps proper white and black tuxedo uniforms. I think the brass needs to make a few impacts bigger, and the snares just need to watch balance a few places. Pit definitely more audible, although I still lose them from time to time.

Not out of it yet. No way.

Bucs: I think the downtime hurt them more than Empire. They were at the gate sitting there the whole time the delay happened.

Bolero begins with the corps in the big blue x intersected by the guard in their tan uniforms. The solo snare playing the famous rhythm builds to the full battery into the full corps playing the familiar line with the guard in the middle of the form on red flags. Brass seemed a touch timid for the opening hit. Pit transition takes us into the mello quintet. As this builds to the next hit I noticed a touch of ensemble uneasiness. And the hit didn’t go where it could. At the tempo change with pit is flying while the corps is running in the box pass thru’s, setting up for the bass run that leads into the end of the song. Imo, corps seemed a touch shaky throughout…the delay? Nerves? Bass run made me laugh out loud though.

Capriccio starts off with the percussion doing a nice break that layer in brass voices building to the hit. The build seemed shaky, though the hit held. Noticed multiple feet tempos going here…by design not error, and the rifle staging and work was scene stealing good. Corps backfield build to tempo change seemed a touch off however the brass 16th note run up and down the line hit well. A little more shakiness leading to the push to end with yet another bass run that made many in the crowd give it up.

Claire De Lune is where I thought the corps finally settled in. The pit scoring to begin the song is absolutely gorgeous with just the right touch of woods to metals in the scoring. The brass enters behind them softly for a nice moment ending with a well done piano contra swell. Sabers do a strong job here visually to help set the mood. Visually and musically the corps builds to the hit in an arc, with the pit doing a great job helping to shape the build, but the brass needs more juice at the impact. The pit then finishes the song with a gorgeous moment.

Scheherazade started off strong with the full corps charging into the opening impact. A nice perc break sets up for the mello/sop trade offs with the guard using rifles, sabers and flags here. The trade offs into the low brass line, followed by the sop line worked into a well done tenor feature, with the pit doing a great job all the way leading to the tempo change for the battery. The “marketplace’ section had a few performance issues not normally seen tonight, but ending strong into the tempo change with the battery running across the front and continuing to throw in some great writing as the brass builds up behind them into a full out ensemble hit that the brass accents. The percussion then keeps setting up the build for the ending while going backfield allowing the brass to keep building musically as they come forward, though it did seem a touch off tonight. At the end of the build, the corps was flying with the brass doing ensemble hits over the exposed battery roll that started shaky but ended very strong.

IMO: performance is the key here for Bucs. IMO, they have the best designed show of every corps I have seen in DCA, but I have yet to see them put together that one show where everything clicks. Pit was on, but battery had issues I hadn’t seen since early July. Brass still needs more oomph for the big sections, as it will help the GE a lot. Visually all seemed well, and the guard is hands down the best I have seen.

If Bucs finally hit that show where magic happens, it will take an incredible, Bush 92 prelims performance to beat them. It can and will be close, but if all cylinders click, I don’t see them losing. But they key is all cylinders have to click. With a week to go, they need to find that magic or Empire will possibly end the run.

Next stop: Rachacha for the weekend, good seats in 107.

Thanks for your very comprehensive review.

“Firebird” drum solo has some nice ideas musically and visually with the feel work written, but performance was off…both within the ensemble and within sections. Visually the battery does move a lot with the rifles amongst them doing work. However, IMO, the transition into “Schools Out” is just…blah. It’s like, hey we’re done ramming, now here’s the horn line. The moment just doesn’t happen.

The transition following the "Berserk Dances" perc feature was intended to maintain continuity while providing a slight tempo and idiomatic change. Although I understand your comment, we have not received any negative critique from the judges all year on this from a design standpoint. The "Berserk" feature, being originally symphonic in structure, segways to "Schools Out' where we try to convey that "OK, lesson over, now you can kick back and just dig it".

Also, thanks for noting the multiple demand of almost constant battery movement thruought the show.

Hopefully, with continued improvement (we've got alot of hours scheduled) you will be able to enjoy it more Saturday. I'll look forward to your DCA review.

Thanks again.

Bill,

Maybe it was the performance then...in fact, at lewisburg, after checking the tapes i make with running commentray, it seemed to have had more impact. so i'll chalk it up to performance, since all night long, IMO, a lot of big horn moments didnt get the big i felt they should have.

did anyone else there find that too? or was it just me, were my ears clogged or am i going deaf? no i cant be deaf, i heard Empire's pit a lot better from their place on the field.

D*** you Jeff for having an opinion!! THAT'S not allowed here!!! D*** you, D*** you!!!! :P

J/K

In all seriousness, its nice to see a review of a show for those of us who are unable to either march or make any shows. I await your review of finals Jeff. Good luck to all corps!!

P.S.

Bring down the house Statesmen!!!! :lol:

if you notice a theme below, every hornline had moments where...well...there needed more voulme. I dont know if it was me, the stadium, the weather, or the horn lines, but it's what i felt, so sorry if i seem to be beating a dead horse. I dont like all loud all the time, but i do like impacts and big moments to deliver, and on this night, i felt all the corps had that issue.

that said:

The show started off with The Exeter Township High School Marching Band in exhibition. Performing their “I Spy” show for the fans, they featured the music of “Secret Agent Man”, “Mission Impossible”, “Scooby Doo”, “Batman”, “Austin Powers”, “Peter Gunn”, and “the Pink Panther”. All in all a fun, crowd pleasing show that should entertain fans wherever they go this fall.

White Sabers: Sop solo to starts “Feelin Good” stronger than last view, and basses do a nice job with the swing feel underneath. Pit has come nice vamping parts as well as it builds to a standstill hit. Brass seemed a little underwhelming at the first hit, though they recovered at the tempo change, and the down and dirty bluesy feel hit started strong, had a small balance issue, but recovered well…soloist not projecting well over corps here. Corps does a nice job as the song dies down to a quiet ending.

Save The Last Dance For Me starts with pit to battery on accessories had some timing issues. Visually as the song chugs along, the sabers are visually featured, though, IMO, the work doesn’t match the feel of the music. Sop soloist does a nice job setting up for the push that leads to the drum solo. Battery to brass balance good here. Drum solo of Conga allows all sections of the battery to be featured several times, though the keys weren’t lining up with the battery front to back. All sections of the battery have improved performance since last viewing, but still some dirt due to individuals letting technique lapse in order to hype.

Visually behind the drum line the corps is using neon colored banners with the whole guard on rifles which definitely is eye catching as it makes the corps appear much larger.

“Don’t Cry For me Argentina” is, IMO, the corps’ best piece. It opens with a nice contra/pit duet, and then goes into a mello solo which blends into a mello feature. Battery here does a great job supporting the Latin feel. At the hit, the guards purple swing flags work well with the corps blue uniforms, and the corps displays a warm musical sound. As the song fades out, we have a mello solo restating the main line which fades into a sop/mello suet with both going way up the octave.

‘Tiger Of San Pedro” starts strong with a nice ensemble blend on the syncopated rhythms in the trade off between the sops and mellos. The timing going into the big push was a little shaky but recovered and the corps seems to have captured the feel of the piece and does a good job making the song groove. The transition into the ending is, IMO super abrupt, but designed well visually as it allows the smaller horn line to be upfront so as not to be over powered by the battery. The brass did lose some power at the onset of the transition, but recovered well by the time they sneak the “Argentina” lick back in.

IMO…musically much better, but still some balance issues brass to perc, and timing issues, esp. in the drum solo. Visually corps looks better individually, but lots of transition issues going from set to set.

Crusaders: I am sure I will get hate mail, but…I’m just not getting it. After the opener, IMO, the show just doesn’t gel.

Bari solo opens the “Firedbird” with the contras joining in underneath, and it trades to a mello solo. Here the pit scoring with four mallet work helps add to the bottom sound. Sops on side 1 a touch shaky as they enter, but the battery holds it together with some nice buzz roll work to help the mysterioso feel. The last chord before the tempo change however sounded rough.

Pit starts tempo change, and the battery was a bit overpowering here….everyone was distracted by one of the large props in the back slowly blowing front field until staff could control it. As the corps moved to the final push, the brass seemed tired, as the sound didn’t project like it had a month ago.

Pit starts off “Light My Fire” with some nice work, and the battery here lays down a nice rock groove feel, and the soprano soloist was on his game here. The entire soprano feature came across really, as did the mellos, but the low brass seemed a bit rough. As the song built up to the big hit, again the brass seemed to lose some steam. Noticed many people blow the lower body move at the halt.

Stairway begins with a nice pit intro, and the contras sell the bass line well here. The guard makes the moment visually with some really eye catching swing flags, but as the brass built to the peak of the ballad section, again it didn’t seem to make it where it feels like it should. Pit starts off the tempo change, and here the battery was a touch overpowering building to the hit. Sops come across nicely at the rock out section, but the last chord seemed to not reach the level of the previous few bars. Nice job on the sop solo to take the tune into the down ending with the pit.

In Schools Out the corps builds to a nice hit before the next drum break, where the battery goes for a more throw down style of feature. Battery actually plays the section they move better than the standing still ones. However it doesn’t build to a nice conclusion to set the horns up for the re-entry, and the brass was shaky for the first bar or 2 when they came back in. they recovered well, but seemed winded, and the transition into the up tempo ending is again very abrupt….brass sounds gassed at end .

IMO: a collection of songs that just don’t flow. Still battery performance issues, and pit to battery timing issues. Transitions into brass re-entries are quite abrupt, and don’t leave you feeling like a moment has happened. Brass seemed gassed at the end, and the transition into the ending is way too jarring.

Gold: the corps opens in a block with the guard in a straight line while a sop soloist starts “you’re Still A Young Man” off nicely with the brass building up behind them to make the hit come to life. The crowd especially loved the sop feature with more than a few players going high…ending can be bigger though.

What Is Hip begins with a nice full sound, and the battery is throwing down a nice groove behind them. After the hit ends, we have a nice mello/sop trade off section that lets each section do their thing. Corps does a nice job playing with the feel needed for TOP, though the hit leading into the perc break had some minor timing issues. After the break, the guard is well integrated into the corps form. The soprano solo fest that follows is definitely a crowd pleaser, and the balance with the corps slowly building up behind them is well done. A few minor timing issues as the corps moves to the end of the song, featuring a well done bass run and higher octave soprano work.

The pit starts off “you can’t fall Up” with some really pretty scoring on the keyboards that fades into a nice groove with ethnic drums. Visually the brass is in pods of 2 spread across the field that slowly builds into a nice flowing open form while playing the melodic intro. A mello/bari duet sets up the main line with some nice groove work in the battery voice. The guard here does some nice body work and also uses stools the same baby color of their uniforms. As the corps plays backfield, they do a good job, but the timing was a little shaky as they turned front for the hit. The hit itself once it settled in worked well, and the guards purple flags helped sell the moment, though I wanted the hit to be bigger. A nice mello/bari duet at the end allows the song to fade out, while the battery starts a new tempo underneath.

The perc break takes us into “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride” which features some nice ensemble sounds with some tough syncopation from the full corps. As the song builds to the perc hit, the guard is on side 2 on all weapons. The final chord leading into the perc break should be bigger IMO. Perc break itself allows all sections to be featured with some creative writing, though there are a few performance issues. The conclusion of the break has the snares playing on a rack that has cymbals and trash can lids on it and builds to a nice big ending. The brass re-entry was done well with some high sop work again evident. As the corps builds to the conclusion the sop soloists again go wild, though the perc break leading into the final push to the end had some issues.

IMO: fun show, handles the tough stuff well for the most part. Stands still way too much, and it shows on the recaps. Perc had some performance issues, but does a nice job capturing the groove feel needed. Probably a finalist, and kind of late to add a lot of drill in, but maybe some body stuff to make the standstills not seem so overdone can help there.

Brigs: newest addition to the show is what looks to be large window frames spread out across the field with red cloth hanging like a curtain. Nice pit scoring and battery work underneath sop solo helping add to the myserioso feel of the opening. No balance issues with brass playing backfield. The brass is strong as they turn front for the hit in a triangle. Pit sets up tempo change with a mello/bari duet with guard around them with nice rifle work…here the corps moves under and around the props building up to a big hit with multi metered drill going on. Minor perc over balance building to the last big hit, but the hit resolves itself well and shows the corps has some power.

Battery starts off “Diamonds” with a nice swing feel with the brass doing some nice work to capture the feel building to the main line. The main line is traded by the mellos and sops, though the sops were overpowering at the start. Some nice saber work is staged upfront as the corps builds to the perc break, with the release having some nice high octave work. Perc break begins with the snares back sticking and adding in players as the feature builds. Battery here does a really nice job musically with the weapons in and around them visually. Brass re-entry works well though battery does over power for a few bars and brass doesn’t seem to match the battery’s intensity until the last few notes.

Pit starts off the ballad with some really nice work, lining up well with the corps spread all over the field behind them. Bari solo with contras and pit underneath works really well and the corps playing backfield when they come in also makes for a pretty moment. The guard’s blue flags and body work shines against the corps proper red uniforms and catches the eye. Visually the guard’s blue flags up front steal the show, though IMO, the hit doesn’t reach its full potential impact wise. As the hit dies out, the corps fades out to just the pit for a very pretty ending.

The Tango section starts off with some nice sop work over the corps…the corps does a good job with the tango feel. Nice bass run into the bari solo, though the battery was a touch loud here. Saber works here is well done especially the timing of the catch on the release of the tango phrase.

The corps accelerando into the next section had the battery over playing the sop soloist who missed the last note. Accell seemed shaky. From here the corps builds to the finish, though at times, I was confused until the very last perc break as to whom exactly was the lead voice…sop soloist, battery, or brass line. I just couldn’t get a read and it made the sound come across as muddled or unclarified. However after the perc break, the corps did end strong, though it does seem abrupt given the time to build up to it.

IMO; improved sine Lewisburg, though I felt a bit high given the issues at the end trying to decipher who had the lead. It came across as a long transition that I couldn’t figure out where it was going to resolve into the GE moment planned. Battery does a nice job, though overpowering at times, and brass doesn’t quite get the impacts as high as they could. Won’t hunt for the gold, but is strongly in that 5-8 fight.

Show delayed after Empire did their field warm-up due to the EMT’s tending to a member of the audience. Empire was allowed to warm up again.

Empire: “Georgia” opens with the contras and pit setting up that famous musical line with a nice swing feel. Tempo shifts with the sop solo and the corps running around the field, building to the hit which you can feel coming. Sop solo/snare lick takes you into the hit which was very strong musically, and the guard does a great job with the bright yellow flags catching your eye. Snares a bit loud though, and soloists can overpower the whole corps…though, that ain’t bad!

Corps then changes tempo and feel for Unchain My Heart with some nice mid voice work and some nice snare work both musically and visually building to the perc break with horn hits added in. however the horn hits seemed a bit soft compared to the battery. Joey then Ritchee go to the stratosphere for the tempo change into the standstill hit. The flags up front do a nice job with their work as the corps powers to the end.

“You Don’t Know me is next with Joey on the piano stage moving from side 1 to side 2. His solo works well against the pit scoring and corps playing backfield. The mello line is then featured at midfield, and they do a very good job carrying the melody facing front, and then do it playing backfield as the corps builds to the hit. Visually the corps moves to side to surround the pit for the hit with the guard on yellow/white flags to help make the corps look that much bigger out on side 2. As the hit resolves, Joey does some nice lower register playing that again lines up well with the brass backfield and the pit’s vamping.

As this dies down, the bottom bass sets up the new tempo into the percussion break with the snares starting as a trio, then up to 5 then to the full 7 person line ( I remembered ya Patsy!). The battery is really strong here but I had issues hearing the pit under them. Joey then starts off America with the corps playing softly underneath. this is true ray feel, then Ritchee comes into take the lead and goes way up there playing so many notes so fast and so high, you almost forget the corps building up to the end behind the. (Release needs to be bigger IMO)

Here I noticed the markers along the keyboard upfront telling us what years the songs played were done by Ray which helps give you the timeline for the theme.

After the full corps vocal introducing Ray, the battery and pit the feel and the corps keeps building and growing with all sections in the brass getting featured with a few tempo changes along the way building to a fun “hey” Ho” corps-audience exchange. After the vocals, the soloists again go nuts as the corps powers to a nice hit followed by a well done keyboard run that leads into the finish, which again, I thought could be bigger, as it appears they want you to buy that it’s a true ending.

From here, the full corps sings Georgia to start, but Ritchee takes over all by himself…and you don’t need any mics, here is clearly audible to all singing by himself. As he finishes, the corps dons shades and powers back in for the main Georgia melody (make bigger) and they hold the last note way out to make for a very strong ending.

IMO: new ending is going to bring down the house. Corps came to play, and I can’t disagree with anything I see on the recaps. Show makes visual sense with the guard creating all the color to play off the corps proper white and black tuxedo uniforms. I think the brass needs to make a few impacts bigger, and the snares just need to watch balance a few places. Pit definitely more audible, although I still lose them from time to time.

Not out of it yet. No way.

Bucs: I think the downtime hurt them more than Empire. They were at the gate sitting there the whole time the delay happened.

Bolero begins with the corps in the big blue x intersected by the guard in their tan uniforms. The solo snare playing the famous rhythm builds to the full battery into the full corps playing the familiar line with the guard in the middle of the form on red flags. Brass seemed a touch timid for the opening hit. Pit transition takes us into the mello quintet. As this builds to the next hit I noticed a touch of ensemble uneasiness. And the hit didn’t go where it could. At the tempo change with pit is flying while the corps is running in the box pass thru’s, setting up for the bass run that leads into the end of the song. Imo, corps seemed a touch shaky throughout…the delay? Nerves? Bass run made me laugh out loud though.

Capriccio starts off with the percussion doing a nice break that layer in brass voices building to the hit. The build seemed shaky, though the hit held. Noticed multiple feet tempos going here…by design not error, and the rifle staging and work was scene stealing good. Corps backfield build to tempo change seemed a touch off however the brass 16th note run up and down the line hit well. A little more shakiness leading to the push to end with yet another bass run that made many in the crowd give it up.

Claire De Lune is where I thought the corps finally settled in. The pit scoring to begin the song is absolutely gorgeous with just the right touch of woods to metals in the scoring. The brass enters behind them softly for a nice moment ending with a well done piano contra swell. Sabers do a strong job here visually to help set the mood. Visually and musically the corps builds to the hit in an arc, with the pit doing a great job helping to shape the build, but the brass needs more juice at the impact. The pit then finishes the song with a gorgeous moment.

Scheherazade started off strong with the full corps charging into the opening impact. A nice perc break sets up for the mello/sop trade offs with the guard using rifles, sabers and flags here. The trade offs into the low brass line, followed by the sop line worked into a well done tenor feature, with the pit doing a great job all the way leading to the tempo change for the battery. The “marketplace’ section had a few performance issues not normally seen tonight, but ending strong into the tempo change with the battery running across the front and continuing to throw in some great writing as the brass builds up behind them into a full out ensemble hit that the brass accents. The percussion then keeps setting up the build for the ending while going backfield allowing the brass to keep building musically as they come forward, though it did seem a touch off tonight. At the end of the build, the corps was flying with the brass doing ensemble hits over the exposed battery roll that started shaky but ended very strong.

IMO: performance is the key here for Bucs. IMO, they have the best designed show of every corps I have seen in DCA, but I have yet to see them put together that one show where everything clicks. Pit was on, but battery had issues I hadn’t seen since early July. Brass still needs more oomph for the big sections, as it will help the GE a lot. Visually all seemed well, and the guard is hands down the best I have seen.

If Bucs finally hit that show where magic happens, it will take an incredible, Bush 92 prelims performance to beat them. It can and will be close, but if all cylinders click, I don’t see them losing. But they key is all cylinders have to click. With a week to go, they need to find that magic or Empire will possibly end the run.

As always a great objective review.

Happy you enjoyed the ending. It was a lot of fun to perform.

As for the impacts not being quite loud enough. I bet Paetec park will fix that. I think we , ES, also have a couple more notches to go. :-)

Take Care

^OO^

Jeff -

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do a review and for the constructive criticism.

The constructive comments can go a long way in helping a corps to improve.

I can't speak for my whole corps, only myself, but I think the White Sabers are going to be ready for Paetec Park.

It will be a blast in any event and hopefully the crowd will reap the benefit of all the hard work put into this activity by ALL the corps.

It's a pleasure to hear your comments (good and bad) and that you don't appear to have any "agenda". Thanks again :)

Look forward to your reviews for their detail. They are your opinion of course, and that's not a knock, because from what I've seen, you're never far from the truth for any corps. I wonder how you get to sit and actually injoy the show with all the things you're watching? Maybe its just like a professional sports referee, once you know you're stuff, you really can enjoy a great performance, no matter how 'close' the game.

Anyway, we found it difficult to project sound on Saturday, during rehearsals and at showtime. I think the delay did put us (Empire) off our game a little, (but no excuses for the score) The stands were quite a distance away so that probably contributed too.

I can guarantee you will not have a VOLUME issue in Paetec from any corps, but most specifically not from us.

D*** you Jeff for having an opinion!! THAT'S not allowed here!!! D*** you, D*** you!!!! :P

J/K

In all seriousness, its nice to see a review of a show for those of us who are unable to either march or make any shows. I await your review of finals Jeff. Good luck to all corps!!

P.S.

Bring down the house Statesmen!!!! :blink:

my finals and prelims reviews will not be anywhere this detailed. i may make quick notes, but i dont need writers cramp :P