2005/06 Cadets Positive Contributions to the DCI Arena

I got my information from multiple people on the Cadets own staff. (FYI, what the staff tells the kids and what the staff tell their friends and colleagues is often two different things.) Maybe some others on the staff feel differently, I don't know. The last thing I'll do is call my friends liars, so I take them at their word. I knew this show was in for trouble back in June based on some of the stuff they were telling me. Not to mention what I was seeing with my own eyes.

My favorite line: "It just seemed like people in the stands we're clueless, so we made a change." Nice! Now the "artists" are sacrificing who they are and what they do in order to get more applause. From the clueless people in the stands.

My point all along:

Cadets = great drum corps

Cadets does not = art

(this applies to all drum corps...it ain't art, it ain't sport, it's its own thing and it's awesome)

It's ok for an artist to try to connect with an audience. It's also ok for an artist to admit that his work isn't perfect and try to make improvements

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ok for an artist to try to connect with an audience. It's also ok for an artist to admit that his work isn't perfect and try to make improvements

Oh, I absolutely agree. In some instances.

I was simply addressing the following statement: "The Cadets at this point in their history could REALLY CARE less about what the judges think at all. I would even go as far as to say that at this point, The Cadets have made a commitment to a goal/idea/dream that in their opinion is MORE important than winning another World Championship........ and definitely higher than apealling to DCI Judges and Fans."

That's the whole "we're artists" thing. I've got some Cadets staff people telling me that they made changes to get better numbers. I've got people here telling me they made changes because the "clueless people in the stands" didn't get the show and applaud when they were supposed to. Either way, it goes against any statement declaring that the Cadets could care less about what the judges think or appealing to their fans. They care very much about what the fans and judges think. Just like every other corps. "Art" only goes so far in this activity. That's the only point I've been trying to make. The Cadets shows of the last two years are no more or less "art" than any other shows.