2005/06 Cadets Positive Contributions to the DCI Arena

I would even go as far as to say that at this point, The Cadets have made a commitment to a goal/idea/dream that in their opinion is MORE important than winning another World Championship........ and definitely higher than apealling to DCI Judges and Fans.

At the end of the day, if you're not entertaining the fans, what is the activity all about? I'm not saying this year's show didn't entertain anybody, (in fact, I know at least one of my close friends that really enjoyed their show), but if they're putting their "artisticness" above everything else then I don't think DCI is the place for them.

There is a difference between a performer and an artist. An artist doesn't care what anyone else thinks because to him, the only thing that matters is fulfillment of his own internal vision. A performer, however, makes his living off of entertaining the audiences before which he performs.

At the entrance to the tunnel into Camp Randall, DCI hung a banner that said "Through these doors pass the greatest performers in the world." DCI is clearly more of a performer's arena than an artist's arena.

So if the Cadets are going for this "we don't care what anyone else thinks" attitude, is DCI where they belong? Maybe they should follow Star's lead and move into a more creative arena?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOWEVER, I would make a strong argument that The Cadets at this point in their history could REALLY CARE less about what the judges think at all. I am very very serious about this statement.

*Read carefully, this is very important to my argument.........I would even go as far as to say that at this point, The Cadets have made a commitment to a goal/idea/dream that in their opinion is MORE important than winning another World Championship........ and definitely higher than apealling to DCI Judges and Fans.

Enough already. If the Cadets were so concerned about their "artistic vision, critics be ####ed," they would have kept the History Repeating beginning part of their show in tact. It was, after all, THE most unique and interesting part of the program which was the cornerstone for the entire show concept. George gave an interview on DCI.org commenting that, (paraphrased) "As defending champion, the Cadets have an obligation to go out there and do something new and different and not just do the same thing every year." So what do they do? Well, after repeated losses to the Bluecoats, they scrapped the most unique part of the show completely and replaced it with...you guessed it...virtually the same exact beginning to last year's show. Wha, wha, whaaaaatttt????? :worthy:

I think we can stick a fork in the "drum corps is art" talk when it comes to the 2006 Cadets. Artists don't sacrifice their vision just to win a blue ribbon at an art show.

I think we can stick a fork in the "drum corps is art" talk when it comes to the 2006 Cadets. Artists don't sacrifice their vision just to win a blue ribbon at an art show.

We have a winner.

The Cadets 2006 show had germs of ideas but horrendously realized explicitations of those germs. The members did what they could with it, but the design of the show was SO far down the scale from what the number 1 and 2 corps were doing that trying to compare it to them is a waste of time

Cavaliers did it better. They designed it better, they sold it better, it was a much more sensible and realizable concept. PR, ditto. Cadets had a half-baked series of notions, some of which were poorly staged and under-considered. The positive lesson for them and everyone else next year is this:

"All mistakes are made in pre-production."

THAT's the positive message from this year's show. If you don't plan ahead and try to pick apart your own product before it hits the field, don't sit there and pout when others notice significant problems that you yourself failed to discern.

Edited by mobrien

I wonder if those who keep on gushing about this year's Cadets show have any concept of how foolish some of their sentiment is.

I wonder if those who keep on gushing about trashing this year's Cadets show have any concept of how foolish some of their sentiment is.

I loved the History Repeating opener. It was really cool!

At the end of the day, if you're not entertaining the fans, what is the activity all about? I'm not saying this year's show didn't entertain anybody, (in fact, I know at least one of my close friends that really enjoyed their show), but if they're putting their "artisticness" above everything else then I don't think DCI is the place for them.

There is a difference between a performer and an artist. An artist doesn't care what anyone else thinks because to him, the only thing that matters is fulfillment of his own internal vision. A performer, however, makes his living off of entertaining the audiences before which he performs.

At the entrance to the tunnel into Camp Randall, DCI hung a banner that said "Through these doors pass the greatest performers in the world." DCI is clearly more of a performer's arena than an artist's arena.

So if the Cadets are going for this "we don't care what anyone else thinks" attitude, is DCI where they belong? Maybe they should follow Star's lead and move into a more creative arena?

Any thoughts?

The word is artistry.

A performer is an artist.

This isn't the professional world, the kids aren't being paid.

The one truly "new" thing that I think was interesting and will get picked up on by other corps in the future is the use of amplified voice as a timbre -- as opposed to the singing of lyrics.

I think that we'll see corps go back to exploring choral works (like in the early 90's), but will integrate voice into the arrangements. I also could see a corps (*cough* Phantom *cough*) trying to integrate voice into an arrangement of an opera.

However, I still think there is a ways to go technically to make use of voice truly seamless and effective. Further, given the equipment limitations and the opinions of the numerous professional sound designers that have weighed in on the subject, I have my doubts as to whether the vision can ever be satisfactorily achieved in an outdoor stadium. Maybe we'll see this in the next generation of Blast!