2005/06 Cadets Positive Contributions to the DCI Arena

Seeing how The Zone parts #1 and #2 ( especially #2 ) have been in my opinion the most drastic and sudden leaps away from the standard/modern Drum Corps show design mold since Star 93, I wanted to start a thread that gives people a chance to lists the great concepts and ideas implemented by the 2005/06 Cadets to see what people liked about the shows and what ideas they think should stick around.

List ONLY POSITIVE things you think The Cadets displayed/introduced in the DCI arena over the past two years. Anything positive is fair game.

* Please keep the sarcasm on the not-so-friendly to The Cadets threads. I know it will be hard for some, but I figure that if most of you are old enough to drive a car, then you should be able to follow instructions. Don't embarrass yourselves.

I will post later....gotta go. B)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The overall problem with the premise of the thread (and I'm not bashing, honest) is that it believes the last two years did something revolutionary. I'd strongly disagree. The elements that everyone focused on this year the most (spoken lines, amplified singing, and costumed characters) had been done before by others (costumed characters go back to at least 71, and probably further).

So...maybe someone can enlighten me as to which ceilings got broken here. The table jumping thing was fine as far as it went, though so poorly staged as to actually negatively effect the concept. Cuz when I look at the two years taken together, I see a winning show design that was beautifully performed and a 5th place show that was performed well, but designed not so well.

But in neither case was there the sense that history was being made. And I DO think you can sense when something really different is happening. Anyone who saw Garfield live in '83 could tell that they were looking at the future of drum corps. It was unavoidably clear.

Edited by mobrien

The Cadets may have just invented Drum Corps on Ice. :music:

Going along with that... Blue Devils from 2003-to the present have redefined the seperation of the top half and bottom half of the body. All of a sudden these devs are marching and jazz running at blazing tempos while their top is completely still. It's like they're running around the field with a cup of coffee

On topic:

2005 Cadets, to me, has scared me in terms of execution of such a difficult program.

It wasn't just the hornline, the guard, the percussion, the visuals, the effects or the music. That show was a monster from 360 degrees.

Their approach with the uniforms was a fairly innovative one. I am actually surprised that this concept has not been embraced further.

Their approach with the uniforms was a fairly innovative one. I am actually surprised that this concept has not been embraced further.

You mean, besides being done two years in a row?

It was great for a one-use deal. The effect is over, please do not come out with any other back to the uniform this year. Although a different front might be interesting...