If Madison Plays Mambo Kings...

DISCLAIMER: I am not in any way, shape or form associated with the corps. These drawings are for speculative purposes only - in other words, it is , as always, just for fun and 'cause I'm just that in to visual design.

A few weeks ago, I recall reading that someone(s) wanted to see/hear Madison play music from the Mambo Kings. I did a little research, rented the movie, blah blah blah... y'all don't care about my process... y'all wanna see pictures, right?

CLICK HERE to see my concept drawings for Madison 2007 (or later...)

YES - I made an entrely new (modernized, updated) corps proper

YES - I'm only working with the movie and fan sites as a guide - I have not seen the musical verson yet.

I assumed that whoever wanted to see this happen was refering to the Mambo Kings movie / musical - there are several actual musical groups out there calling themselves by that title as well... Hope I got this right.

As always, I am still at work on other designs. I recently finished designs for Reding Bucs and the Renegades or, if you want a different Renegades design, try this design too! If you sent a serious request by PM, chances are it is still literally on the drawing board - that includes DCPI stuff and the prospect of a new judges uniform. Keep checking in at my gallery for updates more new images!

-TGB

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually written shows for this. This is a great show and I would love to see Madison pull it off.

My suggestion for the show

Mambo Caliente

Beautiful Maria of my Soul

Para Los Rumberos

Perfida/Mambo Caliente Tag

DISCLAIMER: I am not in any way, shape or form associated with the corps. These drawings are for speculative purposes only - in other words, it is , as always, just for fun and 'cause I'm just that in to visual design.

A few weeks ago, I recall reading that someone(s) wanted to see/hear Madison play music from the Mambo Kings. I did a little research, rented the movie, blah blah blah... y'all don't care about my process... y'all wanna see pictures, right?

CLICK HERE to see my concept drawings for Madison 2007 (or later...)

YES - I made an entrely new (modernized, updated) corps proper

YES - I'm only working with the movie and fan sites as a guide - I have not seen the musical verson yet.

I assumed that whoever wanted to see this happen was refering to the Mambo Kings movie / musical - there are several actual musical groups out there calling themselves by that title as well... Hope I got this right.

As always, I am still at work on other designs. I recently finished designs for Reding Bucs and the Renegades or, if you want a different Renegades design, try this design too! If you sent a serious request by PM, chances are it is still literally on the drawing board - that includes DCPI stuff and the prospect of a new judges uniform. Keep checking in at my gallery for updates more new images!

-TGB

SWEET! You've got talent there, fella...

I've actually written shows for this. This is a great show and I would love to see Madison pull it off.

My suggestion for the show

Mambo Caliente

Beautiful Maria of my Soul

Para Los Rumberos

Perfida/Mambo Caliente Tag

Great selections - I personally would like to hear some liberties taken with the score as well, like Madison's J.C. Superstar in '99 - that was some killer arranging!

Mambo Kings could yield some awesome musical/visual moments. Obviously Mambo Caliente would have to somewhere in the program. Ran Kan Kan could deliver some awesome dance and visual moments. Accidental Mambo is smart and Cuban Pete is fun. You could always augment this music and or show with other music of a similar nature. Unfortunately, this type of show would not place very well in today's DCI. Unless of course the fans demanded change!!! Call, write, email, bug, harrass the DCI staff!

Unfortunately, this type of show would not place very well in today's DCI. Unless of course the fans demanded change!!! Call, write, email, bug, harrass the DCI staff!

In some respects, yes - the cohesive narrative theme show I grew up with in the 80's and 90's is gone.

However...

I could see this show as working on a philosophical level, examining the fragmentation and infusion of Latino and Swing musical styles; or it could be about the struggle to find freedom in a land of displaced immigrants (a very hot topic in educational systems here in the Southwest...), or simply about musical migration in general - an evolutionary exploration of Latin styles.

But again, the "social issue" show is falling by the wayside as well. I personally hate the highly fragmented, randomized show concepts of today. I like what corps like Cavies and Regiment do - with "loose" narratives - no direct story, but suggestions of a cohesive plot. I could see the "Madison Mambo" show being like a Cavie "Bond" or "Machine" - or Regiment's "Faust" or even "American in Paris". Better yet, consider BD's "Godfather" this past season - loosely narrated, or fractured narration (no, I'm not talking about vocal narration, but about the implied story line).

So, you see, it wouldn't just be hot mambo swing Latin-in-your-face - it would all that WITH a story / thought-provoking question. I don't think we'll ever go back to pure, straight-ahead storytelling or musical aesthetic (higher faster, louder), but I think shows like Mambo and the aforementioned "real" examples are a way of finding balance between intellectual and aesthetic appeal.

Love it, along with all your other stuff. I check your gallery pretty much all the time.

I was really impressed this time you did the guard and flags, too. Great, great stuff.

Great stuff! :)