DCI Offers Survey On ESPN2 Broadcast...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=013be...b9-f3d350ee3584

Make sure you participate and make your voice heard!

:)

I will do the survey... but how can I be sure the right "ear's" ("eye's"?) will get the right message? How will I know that some suit (who probably was the same one

insisting it be listed as "Band Competition") won't get the results and misinterprit them and pull the plug due to ignorance of the activity?

3 minutes of each corps performance is an injustice to the viewing public and the corps performing it ... too many commercials with the same content over and

over again...

BUT ...

Thank you so much for carrying the program!! Great job covering the event for the most part (contradiction from above...)!! Good hype/vibe going on to keep a

"competition" worthy of ESPN (I guess... :unsure: ) ...

yikes... I'm so confused. Wait...maybe I'm not.

Well, I can only assume that since it's coming off of DCI.org's page, that this survey will go to "official" peeps. That's why I decided to hype it with a thread...maybe next year II/III can get some love, along with more of a plug for DCA. :)

As far as the "band comp." nomenclature, I imagine that's probably between the cable company and how it's labeled, not ESPN2 or DCI.

For instance, my Dish Network listed is as "Drum Corps International Championships" (Music).

Oh, and I was REALLY hoping they'd air that amazingly dorky FJM commercial (the one that ends with the Cavalier doing the "Fight Club" stuff) that was shown on the webcasts this year. That one was so bad, it was almost good. :P

The history before each corps was cool. The video work for the commercials was great. Lots of good field level close-ups showing performance intensity. The actual performance video was TERRIBLE! I hadn’t had a chance to see any DC this year and I still haven’t! No opening establishment (high camera) shots and the cut-away camera locations were terrible. The corner of the end zone wide shot is useless, yet they kept cutting to it. Is Tom Blair the director? He sucks! The DC design teams spend countless hours designing the show so it looks best in the box (50 yard line, high angle) and that should be the primary camera angle. It should be on screen every three or four takes. DC is a high energy and fast moving and the pace of the video should reflect that. Shots should be no wider than a three or four shot and from field level. Yet we were bombarded with mid-level medium shots that show none of the intensity of the performers and also show nothing of what’s going on drill wise, another useless shot. Close-ups that illustrate the drill’s complexity are wonderful. Too bad we didn’t see any. Instead we see some CG person rolling around on the ground emoting .Terrible directing! Terrible video! Oh and the audio was just as bad, if not worse.

Edited by ptr250

I think that the edits were designed that way to make you want the DVD...more of a tease than anything else. That's just a guess on my part, though.

I do agree that the corps audio came off as kind of muffled or possibly compressed(?) on my end.

Edited by bawker

I do agree that the corps audio came off as kind of muffled or possibly compressed(?) on my end.

I did have to crank it up for the actual corps performance... and turn it down for the dialogue. Kind of annoying...

For instance, my Dish Network listed is as "Drum Corps International Championships" (Music).

I got the tv guide from the Detroit Free Press, it said "DCI WOrld Championships (N)", and in the guide "N" stands for nudity. :unsure: Guess that's one way to get Average Joe to watch drum corps.

I simply LOVE the idea that DCI is on ESPN and hope that these last two years are the start of a long and GROWING relationship between the two. :unsure:

Here's a couple of "simple" suggestions I think would make the telecast even more enjoyable, educational and just plain better ...

-- at least one full show so people can see/understand how long one really is. The only thing there is that showing the Cavies' full show "gives away" the fact that they won. While I don't really like the idea of replaying it like it's really happening and announcing the scores after the performances like they do, I understand it for this TV show -- and this way my Bluecoats were in first place for quite a while last night!!! b**bs

-- Give the viewers a little more of an idea that this isn't just a one-night or even one-week event. Mention the "Road to Madison" with a map or list of all the regionals at least and something like "these top 12 corps each performed in an average of 30 shows and travelled an average of 10,500 miles over the 60-day tour, practicing an average of 8 hours a day, seven days a week to get here to this night" or something like that. I'm sure we've all been to a local show where the announcer says "and we'd like to thank Corps X for coming all the way here to Smalltown, Pa., from California" when that corps was actually only in another small town in Pa. the night before.

-- they did have one small mention of "all-age corps" but NO mention of the smaller DII/III corps. That was a little disappointing. A simple 10-second screen and list of II/III's final scores and a mention of how many TOTAL corps competed in all three divisions would give a better idea of how big the activity is.

-- Oh, and fewer shots of the Wisconsin capitol building!!!! :huh:

Otherwise -- keep up the good work and I can't wait for my DVDs. (Funny, but my CDs came in yesterday afternoon, so I listened to them as much as I could before the telecast!!)

Edited by BlueR36

http://dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=013be...b9-f3d350ee3584

Make sure you participate and make your voice heard!

:)

As much as I don't care for DCI, I know that lots of youth will only be exposed to drum corps through the DCI Championship program. So I WILL visit the link and participate in the poll.

FWIW, I was disappointed that for a number of corps only the dancing and prancing was emphasised. I wanted to use the video as an instructional aid to teach young kids a little about marching. The edit down will give me about 10 minutes of usable material. Only one tight shot of SCV's plates in the whole show, and that was a "color" moment. Gimme the meat an 'taters. And I don't want to even talk about instrument manual - shots of that are virtually non-existant.

HOWEVER, I thought the segments where the judges used BAC (do they still use that moniker?) to demonstrate what the panel is looking for in performance execution was well done. (I thought the "perfect" horn demonstration started with a sloppy entrance, but I don't have a great sound system.)

It was actually (or I think it was, looking at the guide I saw) available in Japan, but only on a pay-per-view J-Sports channel. Also, it was listed as the 2005 All-American Marching Band Contest... so I'm not even sure if that was the DCI broadcast or not. It was in the right timeslot though :unsure:

So yeah... I would say (or will say) to make it more easily available to all the drooling drum corps fans in Japan... and yeah, there are quite a few here.