The new Dennis Delucia Pro-Mark stick

Cadet311

Anyone see or use these things yet? I'll be putting up a review in the next few days in the review section, but I thought I'd mention it here, incase they're not released yet.

The BD I work with worked with Dennis a while ago, and we do our orders through him, and I opened up the box to see these promark sticks. Intrigued, I examined them further to only see the DD name on them.

They're much lighter and nowhere's near a log - and are actually slightly tear-dropish similiar to a pair of ancient rudimentals.

Anyways, if you've got 'em or used 'em, what did you think? Or am I one of like 5 lines in the world to have them?

They're much lighter and nowhere's near a log - and are actually slightly tear-dropish similiar to a pair of ancient rudimentals.

Anyways, if you've got 'em or used 'em, what did you think? Or am I one of like 5 lines in the world to have them?

Dennis gave me a complimentary pair of his new sticks in Allentown a few weeks ago. I've left them on my coffee table with a Gladstone pad and two pairs of the very popular Ralph Hardimon snare sticks. I and my sons have drummed with them off and on since then. We like the new DeLucia sticks, they feel good to play, we and found them to be comparable. The "tear-dropish" shape is visually distinctive, and seems to create a nice balance.

On a wim I bought the following sticks from Vic Firth: Scott Johnson, Thom Hannum, Hardimon (snare and tenor), Tom Aungst, and the Vega Tenor stick.

I can say all are pretty nice, but the Hardimon tenors are too short with a big fat bead. My favorite so far at the Aungst. Nice wood finish, slightly longer and good balance.

I might try some DD sticks, but honestly haven't been to excited about Promark for several years. The Firth sticks are far superior and the matched sets are pretty #### close to being a good match. I prefer going to a store and picking sticks untill I find a perfect set because playing on a pad with different pitched sticks stinks.

Weren't the last Delucia sticks super heavy short and fat? I played with some once and couldn't believe how heavy they were.

• 4 months later...

In the '80s he had a stick that was maple-rosewood laminate I believe, very fat, very short. Very heavy, and if you busted them, nobody messed with you the rest of the season! :worthy:

Is that the one you mean?

In the '80s he had a stick that was maple-rosewood laminate I believe, very fat, very short. Very heavy, and if you busted them, nobody messed with you the rest of the season! :worthy:

Is that the one you mean?

No, those are the Vic Firth Delucia's. Dennis recently moved to Promark and designed a stick that looks like the old rope drum sticks. They have a tear-drop shaped bead and the taper of the stick shaft gets larger toward the butt of the stick. I personally like the way the taper feels in my hands. The drumline I play with might use them this coming season if everyone else likes them.

When you first get them and start to play, they look like they would have a wierd feel to them. But I like the way they feel. These make YOU play into the head because of the way you grip the back of the stick ,and have a great sound on the kevlar. Because of the way the back of the stick is formed, it also doesn't take its toll on your hands when you play for extended periods of times like some other sticks do.

A couple of tenor players I know like the way they feel playing arounnd the drums. Dennis has two styles and weights of his new sticks. Granted they are not as heavy as his last set from VF, or logs like the ones he had in the last 70's early 80's.

My High School line was a very raw line. The snare line was 9th graders. brand new, we tried different sticks with them, You know how new students take some time to get used to holding onto the sticks when playing fast or heavy passages and when Dennis sent me the new models, the kids loved them and it made them play with a better style and correctness, or how I stylistically wanted them to play, as well as holding onto the sticks! In 6 of the 8 competitions they used these sticks, they won top drums. Not that it would do that to everyone or every line that uses them!! Also every drummer has different take on the feel and weight and rebound of a stick. Some may like it, some may not, some will have no opinion. But I would recommend the new DeLucia's. I like them!

No, those are the Vic Firth Delucia's. Dennis recently moved to Promark and designed a stick that looks like the old rope drum sticks. They have a tear-drop shaped bead and the taper of the stick shaft gets larger toward the butt of the stick. I personally like the way the taper feels in my hands. The drumline I play with might use them this coming season if everyone else likes them.

Yeah, I saw the Pro-Mark ad in Percussive Notes.

I'm talking about the pre-Vic DeLucias. They were maple laminate and yes, they were logs.

I liked the old DD logs. They helped build the chops.

NS79vote.jpg

Good to see ya posting Seamus and top o the day to you.

In past years Dennis would send me his annual Christmas present of one, yes, count-'em, one, of his new line of sticks. He had obviously seen me with sticks in hand and thought that for me one stick was best. :worthy:

Jimbalaya

Dennis gave me a complimentary pair of his new sticks in Allentown a few weeks ago. I've left them on my coffee table with a Gladstone pad and two pairs of the very popular Ralph Hardimon snare sticks. I and my sons have drummed with them off and on since then. We like the new DeLucia sticks, they feel good to play, we and found them to be comparable. The "tear-dropish" shape is visually distinctive, and seems to create a nice balance.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they still make the Vic DD's? I love those sticks, I have one pair that I got a few years ago. Is there another stick out there that compairs to the heavy DD?