Hawthorne Honour Guard!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Canadian Corps marching in the Rose Parade would more than likely carry their national colors. No corps has EVER been OBLIGATED to carry any other flag than their own. When I marched in Canada, we carried the Maple Leaf out of respect; not obligation.

P.S.- A few years ago, a U.S. Marine Corps Honor Guard appeared at some major function. They accidentally flew the Canadian flag upside-down. It was rumored that the Marine carrying that flag was SEVERELY chastised!

Edited by markdewine

A Canadian Corps marching in the Rose Parade would more than likely carry their national colors. No corps has EVER been OBLIGATED to carry any other flag than their own. When I marched in Canada, we carried the Maple Leaf out of respect; not obligation.

P.S.- A few years ago, a U.S. Marine Corps Honor Guard appeared at some major function. They accidentally flew the Canadian flag upside-down. It was rumored that the Marine carrying that flag was SEVERELY chastised!

That would be the world series with the Blue Jays.

Please STOP, I have 1 reason, no rule, not on a book, is very simple. I have 8 Canadian with the corps and everyone like more see the Quebec flag in front of the corps.

I remember at Wilwood, the honor guard having the Canadian flag and the Quebec flag. And a just saw thank you at Cabs poeple for the respect for us.

WOW..... I didn't think it would get into this much of a debate. I am not against Quebec in any way. Someone did say though "We had 8 Quebec people marching in the corps". Usually if we had other countries marching in the corps people would say we had Americans and Canadians etc.. marching in the corps! But what is done is done...... No biggy!

WOW..... I didn't think it would get into this much of a debate. I am not against Quebec in any way. Someone did say though "We had 8 Quebec people marching in the corps". Usually if we had other countries marching in the corps people would say we had Americans and Canadians etc.. marching in the corps! But what is done is done...... No biggy!

Sir,

You wrote "I was blown away".

I wrote we were 8 CANADIANS (in capital letters) who all came from the province of Quebec. Not 8 Quebec people, and I wrote that cause you needed an explanation.

You wrote you had nothing against Quebec people.

And you're right, what is done is done.

Guy

Sir,

You wrote "I was blown away".

I wrote we were 8 CANADIANS (in capital letters) who all came from the province of Quebec. Not 8 Quebec people, and I wrote that cause you needed an explanation.

You wrote you had nothing against Quebec people.

And you're right, what is done is done.

Guy

Sorry, my Bad! Cheers!

Kamarag- The United States Flag Code, established by Congress, is a list of rules and recomendations regarding the etiquette and protocol for our National Colors. Although I no longer posses a copy, I used to get copies at the American Legion or VFW. They should be able to hook you up. Also, try your Congressman or U.S. Senator. B)

Question- Is it ever appropriate to fly the American flag upside-down?

Answer- Yes, as a signal for distress or surrender. It then, is technically not considered the United States flag.

Id like to add that this regulation involving what is also known as the "church pennant" is also found in Army Field Manual 22-5, and virtually evey American Boy Scout manual printed in the last 50 or so odd years...Drive on marine, Semper Fi! :blink:

Bill

Id like to add that this regulation involving what is also known as the "church pennant" is also found in Army Field Manual 22-5, and virtually evey American Boy Scout manual printed in the last 50 or so odd years...Drive on marine, Semper Fi! :blink:

Bill

It took me 20 minutes to find (As my memory of FM 22-5 is hazy at best), but I found the reference:

E-4. Display

The Flag of the United States represents the living country and is considered a living thing.

a. Rules and customs for displaying of the US Flag, adopted by an act of Congress in 1942 and amended in 1976, are found in Title 36 of the United States Code.

NOTE: No other flag or pennant shall be placed above, or if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for Navy personnel, and except as required by multinational agreements to which the United States is a signatory.

And that's straight from FM 22-5. This Army member didn't know that partiuclar nuance, but isn't surprised a Marine did...as they're part of the Naval Department.

*whew*

Lots of links covering Flag Code on the web.

usflag.org

Flag Rules and Regulations

U.S.Flag Code (4 US Code 1)

I could not find anything by way of regulations for the Candadian Flag but ironically I found a pdf document in english for proper display of the Quebec Flag.

Hold the presses; Flag Etiquette in Canada

More on the National Flag of Canada