Hawthorne Honour Guard!

Starting at the right, for an American Honor Guard, and proceeding to the left in descending order:

Weapon bearer to guard the colors, American flag, other national flag(s) in alphabetical order. "Other" national colors are to be flown at the same height as the American flag. Next, State flag of the corps. Then "other state or provincial" flags.

County or parish flags come next. Then city flags. Next in order would be our 5 service flags, Army, Navy, etc. Then service groups, i.e. Legion, VFW, Moose. Then service awards such as the orange Legion Championship flag. Finally, flags of the marching organization itself, or simple colored flags with no "real significance."

Flag code rules and penalties essentially only relate to National colors, and the respect due them.

As long as the American colors are shown respect, and any other flags are carried in the correct order per flag ettiquette, all is good.

Question- Is it EVER proper to fly ANY flag above the American flag, in this country? :lol::lol:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. I was just blown away at the DCA Finals by the Hawthrone Caballeros. I just have one question about there honour guard...... Why was the Quebec provincial flag flown, and not the Canadian flag??? Quebec is still a province of Canada, and not a seperate county. I am just curious!!!

Thank you

The answer in quite simple, there were 8 CANADIANS marching at Cabs in 2006 and all came from the Province of Quebec and we were fortunate that Cabs had a Quebec flag and used it all year.

Hope that answers your questions,

Guy

Thanks Guy. And yes the Cabs know how to fly the flags correctly. American Legion Post 199 makes sure of that believe me !! Army Intelligence is involved in the form of Tom Wilbur. The flags flown are shown the greatest amount of respect. So much so that after I worked at ground Zero I had found small American Flags in several places all but destroyed AND some of the flags given to a lot of us working on the pile by random strangers became tattered and ruined. Tom took them all from me after I collected them and did the proper thing. So BELIEVE me the Cabs know how to treat all the flags. Including flags from Canada, Japan, and the American Legion.

Thanks,

Obviously, the Caballeros Honor Guard is one of the finest in the nation. That's a given. However, it did appear to me that the Quebec Provincial flag was at the far left of their line, with Legion colors between the American and Quebec flags. This is technically not correct, but certainly not a big deal.

The answer to the other flag question is "Yes, it is proper to fly the Papal flag of the Vatican, above the American flag, if the Pope is in attendance." ( This is the ONLY exception )

I guess the question is would the honor guard ever fly the state flag instead of the national flag I suspect NO would be the answer. the same for the previous posters comments re German and Dutch members in Sky they carried the national Flag. As Guy pointed out there were 8 CANADIANS marching in Cabs this year last I remember the national flag of CANADA was red and white :lol::lol::lol: :angel:

the blue and white flag could also be flown as another sign of respect compris

Edited by ripper

Kamarag- The United States Flag Code, established by Congress, is a list of rules and recomendations regarding the etiquette and protocol for our National Colors. Although I no longer posses a copy, I used to get copies at the American Legion or VFW. They should be able to hook you up. Also, try your Congressman or U.S. Senator. B)

Question- Is it ever appropriate to fly the American flag upside-down?

Answer- Yes, as a signal for distress or surrender. It then, is technically not considered the United States flag.

Edited by markdewine

I guess the question is would the honor guard ever fly the state flag instead of the national flag I suspect NO would be the answer. the same for the previous posters comments re German and Dutch members in Sky they carried the national Flag. As Guy pointed out there were 8 CANADIANS marching in Cabs this year last I remember the national flag of CANADA was red and white :lol::lol::lol: :angel:

the blue and white flag could also be flown as another sign of respect compris

So a Canadian corps who performed at several Tournament of Roses parades over the years would HAVE to display the American Flag and not the California state flag? Even if presented as a token of appreciation by the City of Pasadena?

I wasn't there this year, but I have seen the Cabs put the Quebec flag out of order re: the Japanese flag, but a flag code penalty is too old school :P

Question- Is it ever appropriate to fly the American flag upside-down?

Answer- Yes, as a signal for distress or surrender. It then, is technically not considered the United States flag.

Sorry to go OT - but when my parents first moved to LI (1961), my mom had only been in the US a few years, and thought it would be nice to hang the flag outside the house new house. Well she put it on upside down (purely accidental) and the police came to the house to see if everything wal alright. She was mordified..........