BD Brass

I am glad someone else thinks BD 91 is one of their best hornlines. I was just listening to that today and forgot how INCREDIBLE it was. "Adventures in Time" and "Bird and Bela in Bb" have to be one of the most difficult brass books of all time for many reasons. (Technique, intonation, phrasing, unbelievable solos, soft entreances, exposed attacks, the incredibly difficult fugues in the opener and closer... the list goes on and on) They played that program like no other. Check it out if you have not listened to it in awhile.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand where some of you are coming from? You are knocking a horn line that finished 4th behind 3 GREAT brass sections. A brass section that scored a 19.0 (95/100). If you feel BD had so many problems, I can only imagine what you must be thinking about the brass sections of the 19 corps that finished below them.

Is it possible BD is being held to a higher standard than any other corps?

The placement of the brass line is not what concerned me nearly as much as the sound of the brass line. I am ok with BD finishing 4th behind the brass lines that beat them this year because those brass lines were amazing. What did concern me was the sounds that were jumping off of the field at times. Just the intonation problems alone were enough cause for concern IMO.

As far as the question about BD being held to a higher standard I think it goes both ways. There are times when I feel that people expect way too much out of BD becuase they compare them to the excellence of years past. This is obviously not fair to BD, but at the same time I do feel like they get a free pass sometimes as well. So, I believe thier past dominance in brass can serve as a double edged sword when it comes to how they are judged and percieved.

just a few things..

someone mentioned 94-97.. and then the hornline in 98.. 98 was a rebuilding year.. thats a fact.. the #1 lead sop in 98 was the equivolent to a 3rd sop in 97. there was a LOT of age outs in 97.. the show reflected that in 98.

about winning high brass since 99... there is also the fact that BD has won the high brass award more times than anyone in DCI.

gino.. yes.. that man is great.. theres a reason why every hornline he goes to does incredibly well.

staff changes in the hornline? i highly doubt it.

different BD hornline sound.. yes.. they were a LOT darker sounding this year.. it was great (you know.. except the whole Bb thing.. but i guess thats here to stay).. if you didnt notice, there were only 4 baritones.. and.. 16? euphs.. or 20.. somewhere around there.... but you could definently hear the difference, especially live

I am glad someone else thinks BD 91 is one of their best hornlines. I was just listening to that today and forgot how INCREDIBLE it was. "Adventures in Time" and "Bird and Bela in Bb" have to be one of the most difficult brass books of all time for many reasons. (Technique, intonation, phrasing, unbelievable solos, soft entreances, exposed attacks, the incredibly difficult fugues in the opener and closer... the list goes on and on) They played that program like no other. Check it out if you have not listened to it in awhile.

Absolutely ! 1991 is without a doubt, one of BD's best hornlines ever, hence, one of the best brass lines of all time. "Commencement' is the best OTL ever, in my opinion, and I never get tired of listening to the dynamics, depth and color of this hornline ! WOW

~G~