In response to "chopped up" musical lines

This post is right on the money, IMO. The issue isn't "does the brass carry the melody", "how much does the brass play", etc.... it's the STRUCTURE of the musical arrangements on a macroscopic level and the development (or lack thereof) of sustained musical ideas that is the issue.

Bingo. Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm the only one on DCP who feels this way. Glad I'm not alone. :D

You are right on track with both points here.

To the original question, I don't think that it is the chopiness per say that is the issue for many drum corps fans, rather it is the loss of a melodic line that ties the different parts of a show together.

In that regard, MHO is that since '03 PR has done this best job in this area. The writing for the pit has been simply beautiful and the hand-offs between the pit and the hornline are the best in the activity. I don't hear anyone using amplification in service of melody and interplay with the horns better.

(HM to the XMen)

'05 PR has so many wonderful moments but the one that jumps out at me is the xylophone hitting a single note at the end of a phrase a few measures into the show and then hitting that same note right near the end of the show. It's sublte but it helps bring the musical ideas in the show full circle and gives the fan resolution.

Opinions vary greatly on what musical lines in drum corps should consist of. I don't think you can really say one is right and the other is wrong. I will say that the "choppier" approach makes the corps sound more alike.....for sure.

Phantom Regiment 2005 "in my opinion" is a great example of a show with superior musical lines. I feel that the best musical lines occur when the brassline is carrying the majority of the melody and the pit and field perc are also playing (supporting) along.......

Triple Forte