Hall Of Fame

NanciD

Any one out there in touch with Wes Hobby? Anyone care to help us get him in the HOF? Any Drum & Bugle Corps background / History.... dates etc... would be much appreciated! He was one of our most loved announcers! EVER! Not to mention a great guy all around!! I haven't seen him in a while but, I always looked forward to seeing / hearing him. Truly an informed and colorful commentator!

*Oh, there's a delay in the show.... ok, he'll entertain us for a while!*

And what fun we had listening to him! :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nanci, count me in....... time to re-launch "Operation Wes Hobby"......LOL

Seriously.... if anyone does have info on Wes or stories about him, or endorsements of him, feel free to e-mail Nanci or me.

I think Wes Hobby is long overdue for the Hall of Fame. In my opinion, he is the best PA announcer in the history of drum corps, by far. He set the standard for the rest of us who've ever held a microphone at a drum corps show.

Fran

Nanci, count me in....... time to re-launch "Operation Wes Hobby"......LOL

Seriously.... if anyone does have info on Wes or stories about him, or endorsements of him, feel free to e-mail Nanci or me.

I think Wes Hobby is long overdue for the Hall of Fame. In my opinion, he is the best PA announcer in the history of drum corps, by far. He set the standard for the rest of us who've ever held a microphone at a drum corps show.

Fran

Totally agree with Wes Hobby being long overdue, as is Moe Knox! C'mon folks on the committee, it's time!

Hey Fran, how about Tony Schlecta for his PA prowess? ("from Trooper, Wyoming, the Caspers...") ????????

Ray

Totally agree with Wes Hobby being long overdue, as is Moe Knox! C'mon folks on the committee, it's time!

Hey Fran, how about Tony Schlecta for his PA prowess? ("from Trooper, Wyoming, the Caspers...") ????????

Ray

I think it is high time for the doors to open for George DelMonte, long time, great soloist for the Hawthorne Caballeros. George just was inducted into the Buglers HOF and it is time for him be be in the WDCHOF as well as the New Jersey Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

Ray, Honey.... . We the people, have to gather all the background then get someone who is a member (I believe) to nominate him and then...

*Hey Fran, how about Tony Schlecta for his PA prowess? ("from Trooper, Wyoming, the Caspers...") ????????

(one of my most memerable announcements from the *Way Back* sorta... would have to be the Shriners Show from 1971? This announcer was all about the nasal thing.... *from Deleware, The Blue Rock!*

Too Funny to hear!!

Ray

But... getting back to Wes..... we KNOW he's more than worthy... we just need his background. So, please if any of you know it and / or have a current connection to him.... please contact me or Fran....

Thanx in advance!!!

This means the world to some of us.... much more than you'll ever know!

But... getting back to Wes..... we KNOW he's more than worthy... we just need his background. So, please if any of you know it and / or have a current connection to him.... please contact me or Fran....

Thanx in advance!!!

This means the world to some of us.... much more than you'll ever know!

Wow! I really need to learn how to quote and respond..... sorry folks.... I guess I really am a rookie here

/quote]

LOL..... how true. Mr Schlecta was not the greatest PA guy who ever lived!

I understand he WAS pretty good, however, at "strongly suggesting" who should win his show. B)

Fran

OK Ray, Nanci and Fran and the host of other folks with excellent example of individuals who have served the drum corps community so well for so many years (Tony Schlecta Ray....c'mon man):

It's not the job of the HOF committeeto create nominees. They review submitted applications, which are available from the WDCHOF website, and act on them. There have been a couple thousand submitted over the past few years. To review, rate, send to selection committee for the yearly balloting still leaves many worthy individuals in the system awaiting their turn. One of the most important requisites of the submission/application/resume is the details, especially correct and current contact information, specific details of involvement in the activity and the name of a current hall of Fame member who is willing to sponsor the candidate.

If we don't have the appropriate info we can't properly act. One of the situations I've run into is that, from the time of a submission to making the final step for ballot, candidates have moved, emails have changed or other problems arise which make our information out of date.

Soooooooo, please get whatever information you can in order to get an application (provided one has not already been submitted) to Wes, George, Moe or any other potential candidate and get them back to us as soon as possible.

I'm sure you folks have seen the system at work in the past few years and can agree with the quality of the new inductees. Please consider that for every elected new member there are three candidates that did not make it and they are still in the system for the following year. We, as an organization, have upgraded our internal communications, systems and processes in order to make the submission, nomination, selection and election process more equitable. We update and improve our methods annually at the least. We've learned to adapt to the needs of the activity and welcome all new submissions.

The HOF will have some updates coming out on this very same subject in the near future and we'll also post details on our website.

If I had to condence this facet of the HOF I'd have to say that those successful, elected new members came from a hundred of yearly reviews, which came from a thousand submissions from worthy candidates.

To paraphrase an old Marine adage..."the difficult we can do now; the impossible takes a little longer"

Thanks for your concern

Ray

Agreed, Jim.... it's not the HOF's job to gather the info. It's up to anyone who wants to put someone's name in front of the nominating committee. Hopefully we can get the info on Wes put together and submitted before the deadline early next year!

Fran

Agreed, Jim.... it's not the HOF's job to gather the info. It's up to anyone who wants to put someone's name in front of the nominating committee. Hopefully we can get the info on Wes put together and submitted before the deadline early next year!

Fran

Great Fran........I'll keep eyes open for resumes on Moe and George anyway......