Schedual conflicting with spring training?

I'm 16 years old, and I was a sophomore and 15 when I first auditioned for Carolina Crown. When Spring Training rolled around, I was lucky enough to be within driving distance(an hour) of the all-days site. So, every night after rehearsal was over, around, I dunno, 10 or 11 or whatever it happened to be, I'd go home, get very few hours of sleep, then drive there after school and stay from like...5 until rehearsal was over. This was for the first two weeks until school was over, then I packed everything and stayed full time. On the weekends I stayed full time even during school, so I'd just drive up on Friday night and bring my sleeping bag and enough clothes and supplies for the weekend, then leave again after rehearsals on Sunday night. As a result, I did lose the visual blocks in the morning and afternoon brass sectionals, but I would learn the drill from that day during ensemble at night. It really wasn't too bad for me.

Mike, when we marched there wasn't any real scheduling problems because corps didn't have "spring trainging" and drill was being taught as early as April on the weekends. So when June came around it more putting it all together for the first show early in the month. But then that's the model of today's senior corps and they seem to be doing very well. Maybe the juniors need to reconsider how the do things and return to what worked for decades.

Steve: I remember learning drill inside an armory when there was snow on the ground. Competitions would start early in June. It sure was a different world.

We also had to practice outside on fields that sloped upwards from front-to-back AND also from back-to-front. We'd be marching uphill from the 50 to the goal line AND also from the goal line to the 50. Kids today just don't realize how tough we had it back then. And there we no aisles on our buses...We had to crawl over the front seats to get to the back.

(ps: I'm a sophmore in high school this year)

My first question is...

What do your parents say about this? As a sophomore, you'd have to have their blessing before this would even be an issue.

Steve: I remember learning drill inside an armory when there was snow on the ground. Competitions would start early in June. It sure was a different world.

We also had to practice outside on fields that sloped upwards from front-to-back AND also from back-to-front. We'd be marching uphill from the 50 to the goal line AND also from the goal line to the 50. Kids today just don't realize how tough we had it back then. And there we no aisles on our buses...We had to crawl over the front seats to get to the back.

Now you can tell the kids how easy they have when you can say you really had to march uphills both ways...and in a blizzard. :P

So true. We didn't do much drill inside where we rehearsed, but as soon as the weather broke and drill was available, there would be some outside work done. The kids are treated like royality today...then complain when PB&J is served.

Edited by sburstall