Practicing During the Off Season

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok. thanks for clearning that up for me. your explanation was very helpful.

While buzzing can be very beneficial, most professional don't recommend spending more than a few minutes on it a day (as a supplement). Of course, using it while working on etudes and whatnot is not included in that time.

Plus, if you're just lounging out watching commercials while buzzing, you're probably not really paying attention to the steadiness of the tone, the smoothness of the buzz from high register to low, or to what the embouchure/air is doing to move around the mouthpiece. You're probably not sitting with good posture either, reinforcing bad breathing habits.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I agree with the rest of you. Playing in front of a tuner is so much better. SOMETIMES if you havent practiced all day or something it might be ok to play a few licks in between commercials or something, but that is only in the extreme case.

Edited by marchinalong8

ok. thanks for clearning that up for me. your explanation was very helpful.

I already explained myself, and I know I'm right, why should I have to reiterate. Go back and read it. Besides, if it's not common sense to you already that aimlessly playing your mouthpiece and doing long tones while sitting in front of the tube and not really focusing on what you're supposed to be doing is wrong and not beneficial whatsoever, then you're lost.

Get away from the tv. What good does playing long tones infront of the tube is going to do? What is the point of long tones? Seriously.

So you are going to play and not focus on pitch center, tone, flow? Just play.

Makes no sense. Look at your drum corps history, practice like you perform.

Edited by CloudHype

I was attempting to say, evidently not very well, "when you're not paying attention to the tv"--id est, during the commercials, "why not work on buzzing?" I know that when I watch tv, I don't actually pay attention to the commercials, I use that as more of a time to chat with whomever. I didn't mean absent-mindedly buzz for no reason. Also, it's possible to sit with good posture when in your living room. I didn't mean to get all snippity. Sorry, I've been working a lot lately.