Best consistant solos

cheezedogg 23

Who do you feel year after year has the best solos, when they have solos  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you feel year after year has the best solos, when they have solos

• Cavaliers
    • Blue Devils
    • Cadets
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Blue Coats
    • Madison Scouts
    • Crossmen
    • Glassmen
    • Other (from any division too)

I voted for madison, I've just always loved the music they play. Although I did like ECJ's contra solo. A contra soloing in the middle of the show is something I'd like to see more often. I kinda liked playing my little solos too though, going up a couple octaves is always fun :P . and switching from sop to mello for the second year was nice, getting a break from all that high stuff is always a treat.

Yeah we had a contra solo at the begining of our 4th tune. He did a pretty job. The whole 4th tune was a fun tune. We had alot, ALOT of fun with it. And he would improve his solo every once in a while and really P*$$ off the staff.. but it was fun. I like contra solos and Mello solos, need more of them. I like mello solos, they so pretty, but my luv will always be sop solos, (well trumpet in corps and band and jazz world) But thats the hothead trumpet player in me. :D

I will refrain from voting, however I will mention my favorite soloist that, to me, defines consistency.

Larry Dastrup - Blue Devils 79-81

For three years he was the epitomy of a Blue Devil soloist. Every show was a consistent performance. Every rehearsal was also a consistent performance. After he aged out, the issue was if anybody could step up and shine as well as Larry did. Certainly there have been many great soloists that have come and gone since Larry's days in the Blue Devils.....but it's Larry that they all get compared against.

In addition to the performance level, from what I've seen and known of Larry and having marched with Larry. He's always been gracious and friendly.

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the kind words! How much do I owe ya! B)

I love soprano/trumpet solos, makes sense since i'm both. but, i think that mellos and contras always end up giving up the best performances on solos. I like to listen to something soothing or at least not as much schreeching. and to me, the contras are what make the hornline, if you have a strong contra line, the crowd's going to like you because everyone is into that nice deep rich sound that contras have. it's always nice to hear someone just go up a couple octaves, very impressive, in my opinion at least. i know i was off topic on this one i just wanted to state that :P

Being a good soloist certainly means more than nailing a high note to be sure....

I'd offer up a couple other individuals for being amazing soloists in their own right:

Shawn Owens ( Madison Scouts )

Jerry Noonen ( Northstar )

as well as some others whose names escape at present

the soloist from the Muchachos ( 74-75 )

the various soloists from the Guardsmen (78-79-80).."Tiger of San Pedro"

the soloists from the 1997 Magic of Orlando ( esp the Baritone player )

Suncoast Sound (85-86)

the melophone soloist from 1988 Florida Wave-- if you've not heard him you missed out!

the 1984 Avant Guard soprano solists-- they could wail!

just my 2 cents....

cm