Connecticut - Milford Shoreliners & Emerald Cadets

Delaware - Blue Rock

Florida - The Floridians

Illinois - Vanguard & Kewanne Knights

Iowa - Emerald Knights & Osage Precisionnaires

Kansas - Argonne Rebels

Kentucky - Buccaneers

Louisiana - Bleu Raeders

Massachusetts - Pembroke Imprerials, I C Reveries, Blue Angels, Dukes of Marlboro, Beverly Cardinals, 27th Lancers, Boston Crusaders, Wilmington Crusaders, Norwood Debs, Joanettes

Michigan - Royal Lancers, Flint Guardsmen, Vanguards

Minnesota - St. Paul Scouts

New Jersey - Audubon Bon-Bons, Sacred Heart Crusaders, St. Andrew's Bridgemen, Polish Falcon Cadets, Blessed Sacrament, Garfield Cadets

New York - St. Rita's Brassmen, OLPH Ridgemen, Long Island Kingsmen, Magnificent Yankees, Warriors, Knickerbockers, Syracuse Marauders, Geneva Appleknockers, Grenadiers, Kingston Indians, Purple Lancers, Mark Twain Cadets, Greece Cadets, Mello-Dears

Ohio - Queen City Cadets, Marion Cadets, Buckeyes

Pennsylvania - General Butler Vagabonds, Belvederes, Royal Crusaders, Cambria Cadets, Quasar's, Ambassadors, Catholic Daughters of America

Wisconsin - 32d Hussar, Madison Scouts, Mariners, Imperials of St. Patrick, Kilties, Racine Explorer Scouts, Capital Aires, The Windjammers, The Rebels

Canadian Entries - DeLaSalle Oaklands, Scarborough Princemen, Toronto Optimists, St. John's Girls, Opti-Knights, Companions, Flying Dutchmen

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As was the case with the 1972 DCI Championship thread, quite a few of these corps didn't compete at the '72 U.S. Open....Argonne, Boston, Madison, Brassmen, Bon Bons, etc. But as somebody who was there for all classes, prelims and finals....I can tell you this was one FABULOUS weekend in Marion!

As was the case with the 1972 DCI Championship thread, quite a few of these corps didn't compete at the '72 U.S. Open....Argonne, Boston, Madison, Brassmen, Bon Bons, etc. But as somebody who was there for all classes, prelims and finals....I can tell you this was one FABULOUS weekend in Marion!

And unfortunately, I don't think there are more than 4 (and that may be optimistic?) of these corps still around today. :(

Missing is the Royal Coachmen from NY. WE were there because we did a show in Bellefontaine before that with Mello-Dears, Beverly Cardinals, Marion Cadets and others.

Advertisement for the 1972 U.S. Open National Championships

Reserved Finals Seats - $5.00

General Admission Finals Seats - $3.00

Reserved "Class A" - "All Girl" Finals - $3.00

General Admission - $2.00

Alabama - Charioteers

California - Anaheim Kingsmen

Delaware - Blue Rock

Florida - The Floridians

Kansas - Argonne Rebels

Kentucky - Buccaneers

Louisiana - Bleu Raeders

Massachusetts - Pembroke Imprerials, I C Reveries, Blue Angels, Dukes of Marlboro, Beverly Cardinals, 27th Lancers, Boston Crusaders, Wilmington Crusaders, Norwood Debs, Joanettes

New Jersey - Audubon Bon-Bons, Sacred Heart Crusaders, St. Andrew's Bridgemen, Polish Falcon Cadets, Blessed Sacrament, Garfield Cadets

New York - St. Rita's Brassmen, OLPH Ridgemen, Long Island Kingsmen, Magnificent Yankees, Warriors, Knickerbockers, Syracuse Marauders, Geneva Appleknockers, Grenadiers, Kingston Indians, Purple Lancers, Mark Twain Cadets, Greece Cadets, Mello-Dears

Pennsylvania - General Butler Vagabonds, Belvederes, Royal Crusaders, Cambria Cadets, Quasar's, Ambassadors, Catholic Daughters of America

Wisconsin - 32d Hussar, Madison Scouts, Mariners, Imperials of St. Patrick, Kilties, Racine Explorer Scouts, Capital Aires, The Windjammers, The Rebels

Canadian Entries - DeLaSalle Oaklands, Scarborough Princemen, Toronto Optimists, St. John's Girls, Opti-Knights, Companions, Flying Dutchmen

And unfortunately, I don't think there are more than 4 (and that may be optimistic?) of these corps still around today. :(

I counted 6 that are still active in junior corps (as long as you take into account name changes)

Boston Crusaders

Garfield Cadets - (The Cadets)

Madison Scouts

Imperials of St. Patrick - (Pioneer)

Capitalaires - (Capital Sound)

Flying Dutchmen - (Dutch Boy)

And I wasn't sure but are the Racine Scouts still competing?

My memory is somewhat good here, as it was my first "big time" drum corps show.

Charioteers..."March of the Charioteers", Big triple drums

Kingsmen...I was hooked on to drum corps forever because of them

Argonne and Des Plaines just wowed me along with Racine Explorer Scout, Blue Rock, oh crap it was the greatest thing I had ever seen!!!!

Advertisement for the 1972 U.S. Open National Championships

Reserved Finals Seats - $5.00

General Admission Finals Seats - $3.00

Reserved "Class A" - "All Girl" Finals - $3.00

General Admission - $2.00

Alabama - Charioteers

California - Anaheim Kingsmen

Delaware - Blue Rock

Florida - The Floridians

Kansas - Argonne Rebels

Kentucky - Buccaneers

Louisiana - Bleu Raeders

Not sure if it was 1972, but is that the year Beverly Cardinals played "Fanfare for the New"?

They blew the stands down in finals. One of the greatest performances I'd seen and I talked about it for years. They were ON FIRE that night!

Not sure if it was 1972, but is that the year Beverly Cardinals played "Fanfare for the New"?

They blew the stands down in finals. One of the greatest performances I'd seen and I talked about it for years. They were ON FIRE that night!

Did they play "Get It ON?" That was 1972

I counted 6 that are still active in junior corps (as long as you take into account name changes)

Boston Crusaders

Garfield Cadets - (The Cadets)

Madison Scouts

Imperials of St. Patrick - (Pioneer)

Capitalaires - (Capital Sound)

Flying Dutchmen - (Dutch Boy)

And I wasn't sure but are the Racine Scouts still competing?

St. John's of Brantford is still in existence although now it's a co-ed corps.

St. John's was the All-Girl US Open Champion in 1972. It was my rookie year and it was a fantastic show. I believe it was one of the few years that it didn't rain...... much.

kel