Can Dutch Boy make it back to the top?

With KK moving, is Dutch our last Canadian Corps? I know the Bandettes are still doing parades and hope to come back, but Dutch is on the field.

*cough*

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With KK moving, is Dutch our last Canadian Corps? I know the Bandettes are still doing parades and hope to come back, but Dutch is on the field. Could the Dutch Boy bill themselves as such? Rally all the Canadian corps vets, and try and market a Canadian powerhouse? There has to be several thousand Canadian corps vets, someone should tap that market for donations.

The Kavaliers have not been a factor up here since they moved to Florida some five to six years ago.

There are four other corps in Canada, HYPE out of Hamilton, Ontario, St. John's from Brantford, Ontario, Blue Saints from Sudbury, Ontario and returning to the field this year after taking a year off, Allegiance Elite from Alberta. (I haven't heard about Les Stentors as of yet)

To build a POWERHOUSE from Canada has been tried and failed two times: Oakland Crusaders and Seneca Optimists.

What happened, I don't know !! B)

Edited by ODBC

Alliance Elite from Alberta.

Allegiance Elite.

• 6 months later...

I hope for the best interests of the corps that we never ever go back to DIV. 1. Why go on that path that is not feasable for a Canadian Corps. You know what is missing.....MARCHING BAND....as in we don't have any.

I marched in the glory years of our DIV. 1 existence and I can tell you it was not enjoyable struggling to get kids to march every year.

Lets be the best DIV II/III we can be and leave it at that.

Brass Instructor/Ensemble Coordinator

R. David Hipperson

Edited by Hip

I hope for the best interests of the corps that we never ever go back to DIV. 1. Why go on that path that is not feasable for a Canadian Corps. You know what is missing.....MARCHING BAND....as in we don't have any.

I marched in the glory years of our DIV. 1 existence and I can tell you it was not enjoyable struggling to get kids to march every year.

R. David Hipperson

Amen.

With music education the way it is up here, and the total lack of any scholastic marching programs, the best any of us can hope to be is a solid Division III corps.

Wish the best to Dutch Boy. I miss the Canadian corps we used to see on tour, like Les Chatelaines.

R. David Hipperson

I'll go along with that Dave.

Not that I know much about getting a corps off the ground (or anything), but I'd venture to say that in Today's world if a Canadian corps had a unique style and identity, as well as solid management and funding it wouldn't be much different to attract members here than in the states.

I suspect the real issue behind attracting members is funding and ability to actively recruit at Marching Band Contests. With a proper recruiting budget it could be done. That being said, I doubt it would be fun/easy.

I've frankly always thought that there was room for a top DBC to be sponsored by MLSE (Maple Lead Sports and Entertainment, for those not from the TO area). Essentially the corps (and associated staff/members/whatever) would perform during MLSE events in the winter as another form of entertainment, do some shows etc during J's games, Leafs games, whatever, in return for an intitial grant or yearly funding. Given that MLSE owns a variety of different sports teams and the support that DBC could likely garner around the TO area if marketed properly it would probably be feasible with a few tweaks (aka, getting staff to also perform during the intial period).

I'd venture to say that any corps that is really committed can make it to the top. It just takes time, money and effort. All of which most people are fairly short on.

*cough*

hey adam, st johns '04 actually came up in a conversation of mine a few days ago. i was talking to a friend of mine from canada and she asked who the 'other' of the two corps that played pirates during the '04 summer was. i somehow remembered that it was st johns from a few retreats with the corps. makes me miss retreat/actually being at shows where div 2/3 corps are performing (the second one being much more of a problem).