Drum Corps in Our Lives

I am just heart broken today. I was just browsing fellow drum corps members' blogs and websites and was totally disheartened by what I read. People write

about stuff you would never think would come from a respectful, dedicated, and honorable drum corps member. It's just appaling and outrageous to me. You

would think drum corps would teach these kids honor and respect not to post that kind of stuff! You might think no one will know you march drum corps and

you can post anything you want and not represent your corps, but people can easily find out you post on Drum Corps Planet, so therefore you represent your corps. What

are your thoughts on this? I just can't believe some people. Whether you know it or not, you represent your corps even while not with them for years to

come!

Yeah, that's right, the corps handbook isn't something the leaders just felt like putting together one day! Look back at it now and then to remind yourself who you represent in your daily life!

We are a corps, a family, and most of all, a team working together for the same goal!

Edited by CourtOfHonorMember

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt the same way the first time I stumbled onto this type of situation. I was totally amazed that some members were even including links to their personal sites in their signatures! I thought these links would let me learn a bit more about some great kids. Some of them were quite a shock! The only good thing about my experience was that it became a "real life" lesson for my own kids about how easily peoples opinions about them can be influenced. I've never said anything to the people I've discovered things about that I didn't want to know, but I hope they read posts like this and reconsider how they are presenting themselves, and like it or not, representing their corps, not to mention their families.

<**> <**> <**> <**> <**>

Another reason I forgot to mention is, even though you may not be in drum corps, what you post on your website could effect your chances of making a corps if leaders or other members happen to come across undesirable content.

I even checked my own site to make sure I was on the right track.

Uh....I'll just go ahead and completely disagree. My apologies. If I lived my home life via the standards and expectations enforced in the summer tour handbook, I would be EXTREMELY bored here at school. Drum corps = drum corps, off season = off season. How someone chooses to combine the two entities in their life is a completely personal and individualistic decision, and you really have no right to chatise people based on your judgements of it.

That would be like saying, "Well, I'm in the military when I'm with them fighting or training, but I'm not when at home." So you're saying you can rob a bank when not with the corps and not represent them?

Whoa whoa this isn't physical. Robbing a Bank and Saying stuff are completely different. Statements and actions are quite different from eachother.

Well, still, some people are saying that they can just say whatever they want and it doesn't represent their corps. Like "Corps x sucks and should fold." It's like serving your country and saying "I hate this country."

Maybe it comes from being raised by a paratrooper and an airforcemen, but I believe in honor, respect, and discipline always. Words offen speak louder than actions. You never know what effect what you say will have on someone.

If I could, I would serve in the military, but drum corps is the closest I can get.

Uh....I'll just go ahead and completely disagree. My apologies. If I lived my home life via the standards and expectations enforced in the summer tour handbook, I would be EXTREMELY bored here at school. Drum corps = drum corps, off season = off season. How someone chooses to combine the two entities in their life is a completely personal and individualistic decision, and you really have no right to chatise people based on your judgements of it.

Totally. Agree.

Don't take people's opinions or choices so personally. Seriously...we're all reading DCP, come on now. We should all know better. What people do or say in the off season is completely up to them and is sometimes totally different from how we act or speak during the summer when we are touring with and directly representing our corps.