Memories of Marion, OH and the US Open

That 1973 downpour on finals remains one of the worst deluges I've ever seen! I still have my recording from that show. You can hear the rain blasting Blue Rock. Right in the middle of their exit number stadium announcer Tom Judd can be heard saying.....

"Keep your #### ticket stubs!"

At the 1977 downpour the judges put their score sheets inside a popcorn cart at the concession stand to dry them out.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 1973 downpour on finals remains one of the worst deluges I've ever seen! I still have my recording from that show. You can hear the rain blasting Blue Rock. Right in the middle of their exit number stadium announcer Tom Judd can be heard saying.....

"Keep your #### ticket stubs!"

At the 1977 downpour the judges put their score sheets inside a popcorn cart at the concession stand to dry them out.

We gave our tickets to #### Hoppe because the corps had to leave that night so he sold them the next day...hmmmm I don't think we got our money back!

Winning Class A finals in '77. Bluecoats were a close second.

The same year Seneca Optimists win Open Class finals, with Crossmen a close second. Tons of rain that night too.

So you marched in Cardinals from Scarborough in 1977 ?

How come you guys never made it to Denver in '77or '78 ? B)

We gave our tickets to #### Hoppe because the corps had to leave that night so he sold them the next day...hmmmm I don't think we got our money back!

I can't believe we cannot write the shortened name of Richard on here! Richard Hoppe

That's the truth! Cardinals beat the Mighty Liberators by 21 points at '77 U.S. Open, and Mighty Liberators made DCI Class 'A' finals.

Hey Brian. There's a blast from the past!! We used to see ML a few times a year and always enjoyed their show.

You wouldn't happen to have the results from '77 US Open Class A finals would you? We've started an alumni site and that performance was probaly the ultimate in the corp's history, yet no one seems to have scores. I believe Bluecoats were a close second.

Another piece of Cardinal of PB trivia: the corps attended 5 US Opens - the first 4 in ClassA.

In 1974 we placed 21st

In 1975 we placed 14th

In 1976 we placed 7th

and in '77 we won.

Also that year, Seneca Optimists won Open Class, so both US Open winners were Canadian.

Making finals in 1977 while marching with the K-W Lions Northstars, from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. !! ^OO^ ^OO^

This corps stayed in my small hometown outside of Marion. They were amazing people and one of the reasons that I marched DCI. Thanks Bob (and Northstars and Dutchboy)

I miss the US Open.

You wouldn't happen to have the results from '77 US Open Class A finals would you? We've started an alumni site and that performance was probaly the ultimate in the corp's history, yet no one seems to have scores. I believe Bluecoats were a close second.

Here you go Barry:

Cardinals--72.85

Bluecoats--70.70

Shoreliners--67.70

Fire-ettes--64.55

Chatelaines--62.25

Saginaires--62.15

Black Watch (NJ)--60.00

Guardsmen (ONT)--58.60

Fitchburg Kingsmen--57.45

Ventures--57.35

Mighty Liberators--51.75