US Naval Academy Drum & Bugle Corps compete this weekend

As a former Army guy, the thing that gets me upset is that USNA, USAFA and USCGA all have Drum Corps and USMA doesn't. That irks me to no end. They should either start one or "cheat" and hire the Troopers. :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, they only make the trip when it is a football home game for Navy (in Annapolis)

Exactly. They were always a great addition to the competition when it was at the Boat School.

I remember thinking the same thing re: USMA. I was particularly amused one year at Army-Navy when the USMA band took the field for half-time and lip-synced their show.

Go Navy, Beat Air Force,

Bob

Good thing it is in Colorado this year - real wet on the east coast this weekend

You should have seen it last year...competition in pouring rain, parade to stadium in pouring rain, football game in pouring rain, and then it started raining harder.

Considering I am originally from Ohio, I actually miss that kind of weather...

GO NAVY!!!! Having a son who is in the Navy and just returned from Afghanistan, I have to root for Navy. I wasn't aware there was a Navy Drum and Bugle Corp. That explains the daily phone calls from recruiters for my youngest son (a Boston Crusader) trying to get him in to sign up. I would like to find out if we can get it on DVD later.

GO NAVY!!!

GO NAVY!!!! Having a son who is in the Navy and just returned from Afghanistan, I have to root for Navy. I wasn't aware there was a Navy Drum and Bugle Corp. That explains the daily phone calls from recruiters for my youngest son (a Boston Crusader) trying to get him in to sign up. I would like to find out if we can get it on DVD later.

GO NAVY!!!

This is what I'm talking about... Like Mom here, I feel a little embarassed I didn't even know this competition was going on, and a little embarassed I didn't even know the Navy

or the Coast Guard or the Air Force HAD drum & bugle corps. I feel shame...and should be sent to the penalty box... (thanks "Slap Shot" :P ) I always thought it was just

"The Commandants Own" Marine Corps D & B corps... and those guys kick butt! (Nice jobs at DCI Finals this past year, too!!) I'm happy to hear there is more than just the one!

If there is one drum & bugle corps we should all be behind and rooting for it's the one representing our fighting men in women in the armed forces. So I'm for that one!!!

OH... wait... :wub:

Well what I mean is I hope no one loses this weekend. :worthy:

I would love a recording or DVD of the competition, too. Anyone know if one will be available?

This is what I'm talking about... Like Mom here, I feel a little embarassed I didn't even know this competition was going on, and a little embarassed I didn't even know the Navy

or the Coast Guard or the Air Force HAD drum & bugle corps. I feel shame...and should be sent to the penalty box... (thanks "Slap Shot" :P ) I always thought it was just

"The Commandants Own" Marine Corps D & B corps...

The marines have the only ACTIVE DUTY drum corps in the US military. They used to have 2 others (29 Palms in California and a logistical base in georgia), but they were cut due to budget constraints in the late 80s/early 90s

The USAFA, USNA, and USCGA corps are student corps....a college marching unit, for lack of a better term. probably why you may not have heard of them.

I would LOVE to see these three go to DCA some year, but the timing;s wrong...a #### shame.

I was particularly amused one year at Army-Navy when the USMA band took the field for half-time and lip-synced their show.

LOL..... an old drum corps buddy of mine is a percussionist with the USMA band.... I think the year you're referring to is 1989.

He told me that the band went down to NJ's Giants Stadium to rehearse their halftime show a day or so before the Army-Navy game in early December (I think that was the first year the game was not held in Philadelphia in a while).

Anyhow..... the band got there, and it was bone-chilling cold.......the band's instruments were freezing up.... oil was no help for the valves on the brass instruments, and the woodwinds also were taking a beating.

The forecast for game day was for more of the same..... freezing cold. (Temps in the low teens at best.) So rather than risking an embarrassing performance with instruments not working and so forth, the colonel in charge of the band put the band into the recording studio they have at West Point, recorded the halftime show.... then had the recording played over the PA system on game day.... the band "lip-synched" the show while doing their drill.

Several years later, I was working a high school band show at Giants Stadium, and I met the audio technician who was the guy who played the tape over the PA system during that Army-Navy game!

Fran

should be a NAVY win on the football field twice!!

Football and Drum Corps wins!

good luck to both though!

at least we can agree USMA won't win the competition!

I'm not playing favorites, I'm speaking only from a historical standpoint, but I believe USNA can boast to have the oldest exisiting Drum & Bugle Corps in the U.S. Established in 1914 I think.

Edited by Piper