When did drum corps become just about winning?

zips up flame throwing resistent suit to protect against overzealous Phantom die hards who always believe Phantom deserves to win no matter how much they stand around and sound raunchy aka "beautiful brass sounds" :music: )) ((now puts on a safety helmet))

You must die!! :laugh:

:P

You can go ahead and add us fans to that as well. Who do you go watch in the lot? Who's APD do you dowload, and who's do you skip? Where are you when the first corps goes on at a local show?

Well, it may be true that the top groups get preferential treatment from sponsors, but I went to two practices this year: Cavaliers (gold) and Phantom Regiment (silver). I have multiple recordings of both those shows (I have yet to buy BD, which was also a great show). And Phantom Regiment is a lot richer this year because of me. So frankly, I think the most entertaining shows WERE the winning shows. <-- OPINION

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, call me crazy but back in my day, drum corps were created to win shows, to become National Champions. To be the best they could be, and to give the youth an outlet that provided an alternative to the streets and destructive behavior.

So what's changed?

OK, call me crazy but back in my day, drum corps were created to win shows, to become National Champions. To be the best they could be, and to give the youth an outlet that provided an alternative to the streets and destructive behavior.

So what's changed?

I'm not sure it the original poster is talking about now or then, but I sure found the Blue Devils very entertaining during the years I marched.

And like Mike D. taught me long ago, the tick is also subjective....

Not sure if my post makes sense but I wanted to add that I did want to win!