Word Filters

Copy of my earlier post - buried in a thread in the Customer Service forum:

The definition of the words on 'the list' and the application of the software tool requires balance and a bit of understanding - by everyone involved. The filtering of 'inappropriate language' is an 'imprecise science' in our simple application - which does not afford us the flexibility the English language provides in the use and meaning of words. Therefore, we're forced to be 'mostly accurate' - for the 'greater good' of allowing a wider age-range access to the site. My guess is that the word filters affect less than 0.5% of all the words entered into this forum.

As Rich has announced in the Announcement Forum, we've made some changes to the list and its application - in the hopes that we can improve the 'accuracy' of the filters. Some words have been removed entirely - and we're going to appeal to your sense of propriety to ensure that the context of their use is appropriate for all ages (a nickname for "Richard" is one that comes to mind). This is not a declaration of "anything goes" on these terms, as the context in which they're used can vary widely. The context will continue to be evaluated and misuse will require that we remove the content and possibly take action against the offender.

Our primary intent is to make this site one where the widest number of people can participate, without the worry of having to deal with language that is in-appropriate. I know that the majority of our members appreciate and subscribe to that goal. I'm hoping that 100% will respect it.

Thank you for your consideration and support,

-john

ok, ok i'll try to curb my use of ###, ####, #######, ####, #######, #######, and ####

i cant make any promises tho :P

There are times when the bleeps (aural or visual) are actually funnier...I guess it has to do with the amount of censoring required...more bleeps = more funny