Word Filters

We've listened to the points raised in the community regarding some of the words in the word filter. While the vast majority of members are able to restrict their use of 'age-inappropriate' language and respect the guidelines set-forth for the community, there are some that aren't - therefore, the need for a filter mechanism. That said, we've reviewed the list and have removed some of the items that are more benign. That said, the "context" in which the newly lifted words are used will be subject to the DCP Community Guidelines, and violators will be addressed appropriately. Hopefully, we won't have to put the filters back in-place.

Rich

I, for one, appreciate you guys continually paying attention to things. Enough is never enough for some, and some are just never

satisfied with anything. Even if you change something to appease the worst critic, they will find something else almost immediately to

start complaining about again.

Now, if people will just be responsible and police themselves before they type... :laugh: (ummmm... don't count on that. :P )

I wonder... how do you politely suggest people walk away from the computer if a post irritates or angers them BEFORE they type a response...

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Thanks for continuing this "work in progress" forum... the issue of certain words being blocked was "indeed in need" of review.

edit: WOOPS... I shouldn't have replied to this "read only" announcement... sorry 'bout that. Ummm... delete this if necessary... I understand!

or can you just make Rich's post the "last post" ???

Edited by GGarrett

# #### You ! :)

I LOVE ### too! :)

Oh now Love is entered? Just a question.

Edited by Jimisback

My apologies - I thought that's what you meant.

Edited by BetoSuave

Copy of my earlier post - buried in a thread in the Customer Service forum:

The definition of the words on 'the list' and the application of the software tool requires balance and a bit of understanding - by everyone involved. The filtering of 'inappropriate language' is an 'imprecise science' in our simple application - which does not afford us the flexibility the English language provides in the use and meaning of words. Therefore, we're forced to be 'mostly accurate' - for the 'greater good' of allowing a wider age-range access to the site. My guess is that the word filters affect less than 0.5% of all the words entered into this forum.

As Rich has announced in the Announcement Forum, we've made some changes to the list and its application - in the hopes that we can improve the 'accuracy' of the filters. Some words have been removed entirely - and we're going to appeal to your sense of propriety to ensure that the context of their use is appropriate for all ages (a nickname for "Richard" is one that comes to mind). This is not a declaration of "anything goes" on these terms, as the context in which they're used can vary widely. The context will continue to be evaluated and misuse will require that we remove the content and possibly take action against the offender.

Our primary intent is to make this site one where the widest number of people can participate, without the worry of having to deal with language that is in-appropriate. I know that the majority of our members appreciate and subscribe to that goal. I'm hoping that 100% will respect it.

Thank you for your consideration and support,

-john