SCV Baris/Euphs

Does anyone know how many baritones/euphoniums SCV marched this past year and if they are planning on marching the same ratio next year?

I'm auditioning there this year and wanna know if I should be working on my bari chops or my euph chops. :wub:

just practice and they'll place you on whatever is needed...no worries about euph/bari just come prepared with a hardcore attitude

i'd work the euph chops...just in case, you'll be ready. easy way to work out for it...take a marching horn from your school and attach a 1-pound walking weight (velcro attached exercise weight) on the bottom tube near the bell end, then practice like normal. (and don't tape a bag of chips to your bell as was done in camp once)

There's really no difference. Vanguard marches Yamaha horns, meaning both their baris and the euphs are large shank.

You'll be getting a little bit of a different tone coming out the other side of the horn on a euph, but there's no real huge difference in 'chops,' especially for an audition!

Vanguard's audition exercises are easy for a reason. They want you to play a short solo and some simple exercises....to hear how you sound at your most basic. Everything else can be built upon. They aren't going "Well this kid's really prepared for a euph spot so let's let him have it!" They listen and say 'Wow this kid can play and he's got a great attitude, let's give him a spot!' then they'll worry about placement.

So just keep practicing and if you're worried about holding the horn....start slammin down those 'shups ^0^

I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between playing bari and euph except the tone and maybe the mouthpiece.

Not sure about SCV, but at some places they put people on euph because they think they can hold it, and at other places it's just 3rd Baritone part and they let them figure it out.

Either way, I agree with the ankle weight plan, I did this throughout the offseason and before Spring Training and I fared pretty well. While others are getting dominated by the horn, you'll be the stud. Whether you play bari or euph, you'll be looking awesome if you prepare the right way. 2.5 pounds, maybe 5 if you think that's easy.

BTW, SomeEuph, I love your sig XD

Edited by fourouttheforty

Well the large shank/small shank was pretty much the answer i was looking for, and since all their horns are large then it really doesnt matter.

As far as holding the horn goes, I've marched Euph in a div 1 corps before, so I know how it is and how to prepare myself. I find doing arm circles helps me out the most. And when I can easily do arm circles for 15 minutes, I start doing them with weights in my hands. Push ups are always a big help too. Another way is to just hold the horn up with perfect posture while you go through your practicing routine.

My vote for SCV - all euphs.

i think ron used to always ask us "do push-ups help you hold your horn up?" and of course someone would say yes, when in reality the best way to get strong for holding your horn up is to hol dyour horn up

i think ron used to always ask us "do push-ups help you hold your horn up?" and of course someone would say yes, when in reality the best way to get strong for holding your horn up is to hol dyour horn up

Yup, you want to learn to hold your horn for long periods of time quickly...well then hold your horn up for long periods of time.

I know this is probably a bit hard core, but one of the things we used to do in SCV was mark time high for 101 counts with the horns up and if anyone missed the halt, we'd have to do it all over again. After camps (I was an import) I'd head back home and work out at the gym...one of the exercises I came up with involved standing in front of a large mirror and marking time high for 101 counts, beginning with a 10 lb. dumbell held in front of me in a playing position. After a short rest, I'd do the same exercise with a 15 lb. dumbell. This sequence was repeated working upward in 5 lb. increments, with the last sequence done using a 30 lb dumbell. Following that I'd strap on some anti-grav boots (the type with the large hooks that allowed you to hang from a pull up bar; they were pretty popular in the 80's) onto my ankles, and do some free weight exercises while hanging upside down.

Admittedly this is pretty extreme, but it made holding those ancient poorly balanced 2-valve Degs a little easier. B)