Secretary, Treasurer, and assistand director wanted!

Our corps website is under construction. We have a professional grant writer writing us a grant for $750,000.00 for the state grant and a $2.0 million for a federal grant. We are a 501c3 not for profit organization tax exempt. We're paying out BOD our first year $8,000.00 and we actually have a executive director and corps director from the area who is going to work with the corps for free. I know the guy who was putting out the Mountaineers and it was for VIRGINIA not WVA. But everyone was giving the corps a bad name and spreading false rumors bout what the corps was up to so the group putting it out called it quits.

We have had much interest from the community and the City of Charleston Board committee has already expressed an interest in a performing arts group. Our plans if we get the 2.0million dollar grant is to rent a office complex and possibly build a music studio/practice lot for the corps. We already have the instruments and equipment to get the corps up and running were just needing to fill in the empty spots for the BOD.

Thats alot of money for something that doesn't exist. I've been through the if you build it in the distressed community the money will come promises. It didn't, even with the backing of the nationally

known Police Atheletic League, it didn't. and they weren't even talking that kind of money.Start small, start in some church or city park, you say you already have the equipment and that's half the battle. That's how pretty much every other program has ever started, slowly and one member at a time.

Good luck!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys enjoy bashing organizations? My friend Bryan, the guy who was in the process of getting a senior corps in Roanoke VA told us not to post on this site bc of all the hate mail and bashing, I didnt believe him but I see that its true. If your gonna hate or not interested in helping us out by getting another corps on the field than dont say anything. Think positive, not negative it wont get you anywhere.

Edited by Kanawha Sound Senior Drum Corps

Our corps website is under construction. We have a professional grant writer writing us a grant for $750,000.00 for the state grant and a $2.0 million for a federal grant. We are a 501c3 not for profit organization tax exempt. We're paying out BOD our first year $8,000.00 and we actually have a executive director and corps director from the area who is going to work with the corps for free. I know the guy who was putting out the Mountaineers and it was for VIRGINIA not WVA. But everyone was giving the corps a bad name and spreading false rumors bout what the corps was up to so the group putting it out called it quits.

We have had much interest from the community and the City of Charleston Board committee has already expressed an interest in a performing arts group. Our plans if we get the 2.0million dollar grant is to rent a office complex and possibly build a music studio/practice lot for the corps. We already have the instruments and equipment to get the corps up and running were just needing to fill in the empty spots for the BOD.

So..

all of this is contingent upon a HUGE grant that you've applied for? What are the chances it will be awarded?

What is the contingency plan?

I hope that it can really happen. But is there really that kind of public money around to give to ONE all-age corps?*

And your friends in Virginia canned their big plans just because of bad-mouthing on DCP?

* BTW: If there is - I'm sorry but, that's just WRONG! Our organizations should be able to carry their own weight. If individuals believe in the org. and want to donate money - GREAT! - Personal donations are a sign of an organizations REAL worth in the eyes of it's own community. But public funds pilfered from our pockets to be dished out a government bureaucrat in HUGE sums to previously non-existant organizations? - WRONG!

(Yes; I'm a Capitalist - so slam me!)

Edited by brassomaniac

You have to understand that you have made a total of 3 posts on these boards. And, we don't know your name. So you're allready not entirely credible. The whole thing with the Mountaineers was a giant fiasco from the get go. It started the EXACT same way. Someone saying they had everything they needed for a drum corps, when they actually had pipe dreams. You're talking about grant writing for a total of 2.75 millions dollars. Established champion caliber drum corps have a hard time convincing people to donate a gift card or product. How do you expect to generate that kind of money from that? As for the Mountaneers... irrefutable proof showed that someone was just making up names and "signing" people without so much as asking them. That's not people giving them bad press or trying to destroy them because there wasn't anything actually there. And at the risk of sounding cynical, this sounds like the exact same thing. You say you have people, but name no names. You claim you will pay salaries, but that money is based on an outrageous grant you don't have. I wouldn't even be surprised if this were the same person.

Do you guys enjoy bashing organizations? My friend Bryan, the guy who was in the process of getting a senior corps in Roanoke VA told us not to post on this site bc of all the hate mail and bashing, I didnt believe him but I see that its true. If your gonna hate or not interested in helping us out by getting another corps on the field than dont say anything. Think positive, not negative it wont get you anywhere.

I'm not bashing you, I want you to succeed!! Its a hard road that I personally traveled with a lot of hopes and promises that 'DID NOT MATERIALIZE'. Any government money will come with strings attached and regulations. In a area that has not had a drumcorps its a hard sell to the people with the money.You and hundred people all over your state will be going after the same money,it sucks to come in second on a grant. Grant writers make a living writing grants, they get paid first. I don't want you to suffer the same troubles I did. A Board has never built a drumcorps, only a leader with a vision, a staff to carry out that vision, will build a corps.They will build a program, draw people to it and make it grow.A Board is a support mechanism, that creates that enviroment for it to start and grow.

Good day!

I would like to believe this post, but am struggling with one thing.

We are a 501c3 not for profit organization tax exempt.

However, a quick search of the Internal Revenue Service's database of registered/recognized charitable organizations does not list any organization in the State of West Virginia that's named "Kanawha Sound" or any derivation of it. Further, a check of the "Charitable Organizations" listed by the West Virginia Secretary of State's office does not include any such organization name. If organized as a corporation in the state, it is reasonable to believe the organization would be registered with the Secretary of State's office.

Perhaps the poster that has made this claim could put our fears to rest by publishing the legal name of the organization so we can confirm the IRS status.

This is not a slam against this group. Everyone that makes a donation to ANY organization that claims to be 'tax exempt' should check this registration. Your accountant will advise you that if a "charity" is not properly registered and listed, any and all tax deductions taken may be disallowed by the IRS.

Caveat Emptor

You have to understand that you have made a total of 3 posts on these boards. And, we don't know your name. So you're allready not entirely credible.

Most don't post with real name on DCP, me too. Have to post 3 time before 4 and 4 time before 5, what is your point?

My point is that those of us who want to be taken seriously for our opinions represent them by stating our name (in most cases as a signature.) OR you could simply say something like "Hi, my name is___________"

My point is that those of us who want to be taken seriously for our opinions represent them by stating our name (in most cases as a signature.) OR you could simply say something like "Hi, my name is___________"

Most people starting a drum corps would identify themselves, I think.