Oregon Crusaders announce new executive director

Yes the Crusaders had an awesome staff, and the corps had lots of talent. I hope everyone that jumped ship, and moved over to the Cascades, lots of success. What I don’t understand, is people who think that the Oregon Crusaders should just fold and go away. They have been delivered a tremendous set back, with the loss of all their caption heads, but none of them are irreplaceable. The Crusaders will find replacements and offer a quality experience for those who want to march in a div II corps. Crusader members have always had the opportunity to march for the Cascades. The Cascades provided shuttles from the Portland area to their camps, and had there all days 40 minutes from Portland, in fact quite a few made that decision. I hope that people can get beyond their petty differences and see the value of having both corps in the northwest. There is plenty of people and talent to support three corps in the northwest. I have been involved with drum corps for 30 years and drum corps is not about what position you end up at the end of the year, it’s about the experience. I wish that people would stop dwelling on the negative and promote a positive transition for the Oregon Crusaders. The Cascades and the Crusaders will both benefit from have two strong corps in the northwest. I’m hoping that the Cascades become a powerhouse, and move themselves into top 12 again, and I would encourage people to support the Crusaders in this transition, and keep drum corps alive and thriving in the northwest.

Edited by argonaut

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oregon Crusaders announce new executive director and launch new website design, also information about auditions.

Oregon Crusaders website

Thanks for the update. Nice new website. Bright, clean and engaging ... much like the Oregon Crusaders themselves on the field. I just really loved your show last year. It was so well staged, well played, well excecuted. Yours is one of the shows I always search the boards for reviews in the early season because just I wish I could be there at the field.

Maybe this year I will not have to wait for the last week of shows. :) I am making tentative plans for a drive cross country to the northwest so I can enjoy the natural beauty of the area again and I hope there will be a few shows I can catch along the way.

Best wishes for a great year, Oregon Crusaders!

What locations do OC use?

Southridge High School (Beaverton)

Oregon School for the Deaf

Grants Pass High School

Hillsboro Stadium (for spring camps and what not)

Yes the Crusaders had an awesome staff, and the corps had lots of talent. I hope everyone that jumped ship, and moved over to the Cascades, lots of success. What I don’t understand, is people who think that the Oregon Crusaders should just fold and go away. They have been delivered a tremendous set back, with the loss of all their caption heads, but none of them are irreplaceable. The Crusaders will find replacements and offer a quality experience for those who want to march in a div II corps. Crusader members have always had the opportunity to march for the Cascades. The Cascades provided shuttles from the Portland area to their camps, and had there all days 40 minutes from Portland, in fact quite a few made that decision. I hope that people can get beyond their petty differences and see the value of having both corps in the northwest. There is plenty of people and talent to support three corps in the northwest. I have been involved with drum corps for 30 years and drum corps is not about what position you end up at the end of the year, it’s about the experience. I wish that people would stop dwelling on the negative and promote a positive transition for the Oregon Crusaders. The Cascades and the Crusaders will both benefit from have two strong corps in the northwest. I’m hoping that the Cascades become a powerhouse, and move themselves into top 12 again, and I would encourage people to support the Crusaders in this transition, and keep drum corps alive and thriving in the northwest.

one thing to consider is that when i march or when i decide where to march i look for where i can learn the most, and to be honest i would rather go to a corps with a proven staff over a staff TBA.

another fact of this matter is that people want to march division one. just look at the numbers, its simple. the crusaders can hire new staff but you cant hire members. most of the vets will probably move on to follow their staff who taught them the past few years.

and to your refrence to them having "jumped ship"... i truly resent that comment. i have marched for a few different corps and i strive to march where i have the opportunity to learn most.

as for the staff who you declare having "jumped ship" i also resent that. i know for a fact that many of the former oc staff were really heavily invested in that corps. read the names, leone, benson, thompson, norfleet, they built OC into who we were in madison. they are the reason that OC had such a successfull program the past few years. they would not have left unless there were some pretty huge reasons...

and how often do football coaches get hired elsewhere? do we say that they bailed on their previous program? NO

you have the right to say whatever you feel on this subject but please dont insult the integrity of my friends and family.

one thing to consider is that when i march or when i decide where to march i look for where i can learn the most, and to be honest i would rather go to a corps with a proven staff over a staff TBA.

another fact of this matter is that people want to march division one. just look at the numbers, its simple. the crusaders can hire new staff but you cant hire members. most of the vets will probably move on to follow their staff who taught them the past few years.

and to your refrence to them having "jumped ship"... i truly resent that comment. i have marched for a few different corps and i strive to march where i have the opportunity to learn most.

as for the staff who you declare having "jumped ship" i also resent that. i know for a fact that many of the former oc staff were really heavily invested in that corps. read the names, leone, benson, thompson, norfleet, they built OC into who we were in madison. they are the reason that OC had such a successfull program the past few years. they would not have left unless there were some pretty huge reasons...

and how often do football coaches get hired elsewhere? do we say that they bailed on their previous program? NO

you have the right to say whatever you feel on this subject but please dont insult the integrity of my friends and family.

Thank you for saying that. Most know they didn't jump ship and there is more behind it than the public will know. OC is a great corps, and hopefully will be back on the field this summer.

As for argonaut, nobody wants them to fold. If they fold thats one less corps in an already dwindled D II. I have faith in the BoD's abilities to pull this through.

Please let it go. I have not chimed in at all and have just let it go until someone posts garbage

like this. Yes Football Coaches move to different schools. The difference is they don't take all the players with them.

Integrity is a word I might not use here.

I did not insult the integrity of your friends and family. I’m sorry you took the comment that way, it was not my intention. I probably should have chosen different words. If any of the former staff took my comments as an insult, I apologize. I’m not really sure what your motivation is on to point out the challenges the Oregon Crusaders are dealing with on this public forum. As a former member, I would hope that you would like to see them progress and offer the same kind of positive experience that you hopefully had, as a part of the corps. Like I wrote in my earlier post, I wish the best for the Cascades and wish people would support the Crusaders in their period of transition, and stop debating the negative. Lets hope that the new staff will be up to the challange and offer a great experiance for the members that choose to march for the Crusaders.

What he said was not an insult, but you are talking to one of the Oregon Crusader's biggest supporters, one who has taken the time to cook meals, build props, prepare trailers for travel, etc. I know because I've been there and I've seen it, and I've seen him in action. Mike and company did wonders for the corps and I was very fortunate to be able to spend time and talk with him about when I was a volunteer, but it's not all about staff, and as the OC saw time and time again (especially in 2005 when I was there), they can't get anything accomplished without the support of volunteers and parents. You know that, I know that. So get a grip. Staff come and go, but if you REALLY want to see the demise of the OC, then pester and insult their volunteers.

I for one am excited for the OC and can't wait to see what they bring to the field. Again, I'm loving their new website, and hopefully, that's just the beginning to what's the come.

Edited by bari_benzo