Advice on changing a marching snare's head

azwethinkweizm

Now, I've heard of people breaking a rim because they tightened it too much. How will I know when the head is too tight?

Breaking rims doesn't happen often, but when it does happen, it's usually due more to uneven tension than excessive tension. Make sure the drum is in tune from lug to lug and then increase tension on each lug little by little. IIRC, Remo recommends tensioning the drum in a circular pattern, going from one lug to the next in a clockwise or counter-clockwise order instead of the traditional pattern of tightening opposite sides of the drum.

As for being able to tell when the head is too tight... Modern heads and drum hardware should be able to withstand any reasonable playing tension. So long as you're not cranking the head like you were trying to determine the breaking strength of kevlar, you should be OK.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking rims doesn't happen often, but when it does happen, it's usually due more to uneven tension than excessive tension. Make sure the drum is in tune from lug to lug and then increase tension on each lug little by little. IIRC, Remo recommends tensioning the drum in a circular pattern, going from one lug to the next in a clockwise or counter-clockwise order instead of the traditional pattern of tightening opposite sides of the drum.

As for being able to tell when the head is too tight... Modern heads and drum hardware should be able to withstand any reasonable playing tension. So long as you're not cranking the head like you were trying to determine the breaking strength of kevlar, you should be OK.

I would be willing to bet that you would determine the breaking point of a few chrome plated lugs long before anything happened to the kevlar. :)

I dunno...I've blown a few snare-side kevlar heads in my time.

Man, those things make one hell of a bang when they go too...

If you think it makes a bang when a head blows, you should see what happens when a rim goes! On mid-80s or early 90s Yamahas (before the Corps Custom or sfz models), the rims can actually shatter and send shrapnel flying!

Ok now I have another problem except it's with the bottom head.

I started playing on my drum today and I look at the bottom rim and notice that one of the lugs was LOOSE! Can you tell me how this happens and why?

By the way, this is what my drum looks like:

mydrum.png

It's a problem I've noticed with Yamaha. I've been tightening bottom lugs non-stop since HYPE got the new drums a year ago.

You see those white nylon nuts on the bottom tension rods between the rim and the lug casings? Tighten those all the way down against the rims and put a bit of force into it. That's what those are there for.

• 5 weeks later...