Advice on changing a marching snare's head

azwethinkweizm

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem:

I've tightened all of the lugs as tight as I could and I start with one random lug and do the cross tuning method. The only problem is when I start with the first one then tune the second one, the one right next to it is very loose to where I could hand turn it out of the slot. What am I doing wrong?

Be careful that you aren't overturning the lugs. Once all the lugs are finger tight I wouldn't go anymore than a half turn to bring the head up to playing tension. When you tighten one lug, naturally the lugs on either side will see a reduction in the upward force applied to them by the rim. That is why they become loose. Tighten one lug a little, and its neighbours get a little loose. Tighten one lug alot, and the others get a lot loose.

I would get them all finger-tight to begin with, then from there, don't pay attention to the force, but rather only to the distance you're turning them. Whether you do cross-tuning, or around-the-rim tuning, the last one is going to feel pretty loose. Turn it the same amount you turned the others, don't tighten back to finger-tight and then turn it--the tension will not be even. Best way to go about it is to get a moderate amount of tension on it (maybe about 60-70% of what you want--enough to get the wrinkles out and get a good ring on the head) and tune by pitch to get them all the same tension, then go equal distances all the way around until you get where you want.