MegaVox vs. Long Ranger

Which do you prefer? MegaVox or Long Ranger?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Please Select One

• MegaVox
    • Long Ranger
    • Both (please explain below)

I've used both somewhat extensively, and I'd say they're both pretty much even as far as functionality. The only reason I'd use the megavox over the long ranger is that the megavox has more 1/4" inputs on it. This year a group I taught with used two metronomes to facilitate count offs with programmed tempo/meter sequences.

I'm not sure about durability. I know the wireless transmitter mic cables for long rangers were designed to last about 15 minutes on tour, not sure about megavox.

I've used both somewhat extensively, and I'd say they're both pretty much even as far as functionality. The only reason I'd use the megavox over the long ranger is that the megavox has more 1/4" inputs on it. This year a group I taught with used two metronomes to facilitate count offs with programmed tempo/meter sequences.

I'm not sure about durability. I know the wireless transmitter mic cables for long rangers were designed to last about 15 minutes on tour, not sure about megavox.

I've used both, too but I think I'm leaning towards abandoning the Long Rangers in favor of only MegaVox(es). Anchor Audio has really good warranty service as well. I guess I'm looking for MegaVox horror stories, since we all have plenty of Long Ranger horror stories...In other words, someone convince me that I should stay with Long Rangers.

I've used all three (Anchor, MegaVox, Long Ranger) and without question the Long Ranger wins hands down. Listen, when you are trying to cut the beat through a battery and bodies you need the most penetrating power for your money. Long Ranger wins hands down. Anchor has nice features but does not have the prescence of Long Ranger. MegaVoxes do not cut.

Go with the NewMexico wonder.

Even though it does tend to break down over the years. But then again, any electronic will wear under heat, stress and bumps and bruises of handling.

I've used all three (Anchor, MegaVox, Long Ranger) and without question the Long Ranger wins hands down. Listen, when you are trying to cut the beat through a battery and bodies you need the most penetrating power for your money. Long Ranger wins hands down. Anchor has nice features but does not have the prescence of Long Ranger. MegaVoxes do not cut.

Go with the NewMexico wonder.

Even though it does tend to break down over the years. But then again, any electronic will wear under heat, stress and bumps and bruises of handling.

Just curious, what is the difference in prices?

The band I work with has two of them. They hold up pretty well and like you said, it cuts through the band. When you have over 200 on the field, you need to get their attention sometimes.

I think my high school used long rangers and my drum corps used MegaVox (w/ a doctor beat). I think MegaVox are cheaper, for the most part. They are also easier to carry around and are more durable to outdoor weather thanks to the plastic covering around the speaker.

and yeah... if you do decide to go with the megavox, may I suggest buying it from here? :devin:

My experience is fairly limited, but I've always encountered far more battery problems with MegaVoxes....extremely short battery life, needing to be replaced every couple months, etc.

Yeah--that's the kind of input I'm looking for. There's no doubt that MegaVox is cheaper (by a LOT) and seems to be more durable, but that's obviously immaterial if they don't get the job done.

Rangers just seem to be so moody and fragile, plus they're no good for piping in music.