index or middle? which finger is correct?

yashiharu

With my SRHJR ...

i'm not sure which finger is correct to be a pivot ...

index is good for my double stroke ...

but not good for triple stroke ...

(should i use the last 3 fingers for triple, either than just rebound?)

seems the index is tired for triple ...

middle may have much rebound for it!

Edited by yashiharu

With my SRHJR ...

i'm not sure which finger is correct to be a pivot ...

index is good for my double stroke ...

but not good for triple stroke ...

(should i use the last 3 fingers for triple, either than just rebound?)

seems the index is tired for triple ...

middle may have much rebound for it!

WIth the right hand (or left hand too if using matched grip) you should have the thumb, index and middle finger involved.the back finger should stay relaxed and in contact with the stick, but are not generating the motion.

C

There are two fulcrums on the right hand: The index finger, and the middle finger. This is known as the moving fulcrum (pretty obvious, haha). The index finger is the more commonly used, "modern" technique, and is more useful for the precision work necessary for today's drumming. The middle finger is a more old school technique, and is much more relaxed, and gives a fuller sound on those old low-tension drums. The relaxation (which is ALWAYS important) is the explanation for your better triple strokes.

If you use middle finger, it will help you control what you are playing much better.

To be precise, it's actually better if you use both together or alternating.

If you experiment with it, you'll discover that some things are better with one area as a fulcrum than others...

I for one use use the index and thumb as fulcrum, and the other three to manuver the stick. I never could understand why people let the pinky stick out like they are drinking tea. May I suggest playing with each finger individually to build strength? Ie use your fulcrum and the middle, then fulcrum/rign then fulcrum/pinky.

In basil drumming they actually hold the stick at the end with the pinky and fourth finger and the upper fingers and thumb are loose on the stick. Different techniques for different applications.