Tonguing and Articulation Help

BCC99Man

Does anyone know of any ways to help with tonguing and articulations at quicker tempos? When I first started off playing trombone, I was never taught to actually use my tongue to initiate a note, and I guess I'm still having troubles getting it down to the extent that I'd like it. Because of that, I can't really tongue all that fast. Any ideas that could help me out? Thanks!

There are so many things you can do but the best is to just go back to the basics. If you are worried about just tonguing faster than practice that on straight eighth notes. start on concert f and work your way up to Bb, middle of the register stuff where you should be most comfortable. Tongue a measure of F eighth notes, then G, then A, then Bb and back down. Technique is more important than speed. So make sure you are hitting the same spot in your mouth every time. Take it real slow and then over the weeks gradually speed it up and expand the notes. Tongue up to C and down to Eb. It's a real process but it works.

Once you start speeding up your tongue exam how your air effects the speed. Keep a consistant airstream behind your tongue and make sure the back of your tongue is down low. If you say the word Dog you can feel the -g- hit in the back of your throat. Now say the word Dog without the -g-....... it should sound like Dah. A naturally tendency with beginners and people first learning how to tongue is that they seperate the notes in the back of the throat like the word dog..... make sure that you are doing this correctly. You should be able to say the word Dah! faster than the word Dog.

So it comes down to three things...... that your tongue is doing the correct motion, that your tongue is hitting the same spot every time and that your air is helping your tongue move and not hindering it. Once you get good at these things you can move on to other styles of articulation. Also a private teacher is always your best bet they will be able to better identify the parts of your tonguing that need the most help. And understand that tonguing correctly is a long, long process once you have become good at the very basics then you can add tonguing exercises or tonguing across scales or whatever. Always remember that when you can't master a passage, isolate what the exact problem is and work it out on the simplest and most basic level. Hope this helps.

Adam

http://www.cabs.org

Also, whenever you practice tonguing, always use a metronome. Not only is it great for keeping your tongue in rhythmic motion, but it also helps you gauge your progress.

I initially had a lot of trouble with double tonguing. I didn't feel like I was making progress, but I found that each day I practiced double tonguing, I got consistently faster, although by small increments. Knowing that I was in fact getting better was very encouraging.

I know what you mean! You initiate with air. I know just the recipe. Start to tongue your notes slowly. Start using your tongue while playing for like one time per measure. I know it sounds awkward but it worked for me. Slowly start to use it more and more and eventually you'll be tonguing when you need to.

Sorry if I may have been slightly off topic, if so, tell me so. -.-

Edited by rai-mello

Don’t sweat the fact that you can’t do something – and don’t look for reasoning as to why…!

The tongue is actually a very quick muscle… and articulation on the horn actually has much more to do with than just the tongue. It is important that you dont overanalyze the process -- better to use something as a model that you ALREADY know how to do... (looking at it all organically)

...such as SPEECH.

When we play we use the tongue in a very similar way as when we are speaking (certain syllables) and singing (speech + pitch).

So, presuming that you can speak clearly and that there are no physiological aliments (such as someone who has had Bell’s Palsy etc) then you should be able to "tongue" notes just fine.

…it’s just a matter of coordination.

Build things up organically, one aspect at a time.

Start with something you already know how to do…

Say the syllable "TA", say "TITITITITITITI" notice where the tongue hits when you speak – right on the fleshy part right above your front upper teeth. THAT is where you want it to hit when you articulate on the horn.

Next SING TA TA TA… everything should be the same. (making sure you are taking in a FULL tank of air beforehand… sing with bravado and no pressure)

NOW Buzz on the mouthpiece alone, the exact thing. Breathe in and INSTANTLY articulate. TA TA TA keep doing that until you have it down to a preliminary habit.

Finally, try it on the horn… don’t worry about how it feels… go with it.

Also, you don’t need the tongue to initiate notes – also work on articulating without the tongue.

If I would wager a guess it is as much of an air thing as it is a tongue thing. I wont analyze anything else without hearing you – just make sure that WIND is aspect #1, and the tongue is just used to shape whatever articulation syllable you desire. Your body already knows how to manipulate that muscle much better than you could mechanically teach it (same goes with breathing) USE THAT.

And, take a lesson. That’s the best thing to do.

Joe

Edited by tubajoe

Typically, the biggest problem people have with articulation is that they're trying to DO something, as opposed to allowing the action to occur naturally.

When you articulate, the tip of your tongue will strike the interface between the roof of your mouth, and the back of your top teeth. The secret to clean, fast articulation is using as little movement as possible. Don't try to force the attack, don't stab it, and don't move your tongue wildly around your mouth. Rather, use the least amount of movement possible to produce a solid attack on every note....no "fwaaaah" attacks! Lots of "front" on each note...each note must have a very defined and clear beginning.

• 3 weeks later...

So, we know that the tongue is a muscle. Is it the end result of what you hear- I think not. For example if I stepped on your big toe and told you not to think about it - what would you do? So, perhaps we could think of how we want to pronounce the sentence - hear it as you would the words in a sentence- whether it be Ta, Da, Du, you want to keep you imagination as far forward as possible - and allow the pronounciation to float on the air. Remember , you don't order up air, you don't order up tongue- You Order up Song - stop making causes out of the END RESULT. Believe in WhAT YOU WANT TO HEAR rather than reacting to what might happen. Peace, DT

• 3 weeks later...

Think lighter!