Facial hair and low brass

flashofthunder

Bottom line...

Try it. Se what works best for YOU. I have known professional low brass players with both opinions. I have known upper brass players that have a problem with facial hair and trim out the mouthpiece circle.

The only players that it ALWAYS makes a difference for are the female players...

I've had a pretty thick goatee for the past three years and I don't feel that it has affected my playing. (Euphonium, by the way.) I had to shave it for a few months last year via high school dress code rules, and it felt pretty similar to how I play. I guess it just affects people in different ways, or not at all. If my drum corps plans hold up, I'll have to shave again. My playing has changed a lot since high school, so we'll see how that goes.

Edited by King_ReMO

I've never had a problem with it. Have played with and with out it, only difference really has been is that when I have it, it wears away the plating on my mouthpiece faster :blush::blush:

Only problem is if my moustache gets too long and curls into my lips. Not sure if it affects my playing but it's a bother and distraction.

PS - A beard is great for cold parades. :)