195 members have voted

1. 1. The best hornline...

• ...plays LOUD.
    • ...plays with QUALITY.
    • ...plays music that I RECOGNIZE/LIKE/think is COOL
    • ...plays LOUD and COOL music.
    • ...plays COOL music with QUALITY.
    • ...plays LOUD and with QUALITY.
    • ...plays COOL music LOUDLY and with QUALITY.

None of the above. Attention to detail. Plenty of hornlines can put a good ensemble sound out there, or have some outstanding individual sections that have a lot of talent/cleaned the #### out of their shows, but attention to detail is the one thing that a lot of the better hornlines in DCI lack. It's not completely fair to judge on the basis of a good sound, simply because different hornlines go for different sounds. Listen to BD at their best, and Phantom at their best. Not even remotely similar. Find me a hornline that ISN'T AFRAID TO TAKE THEIR MUSIC, SPECIFICALLY LONG TONES, TO A SPECIFIC, UNIFIED RELEASE POINT, that can attack as one, has nuance in their music (subtle crescendoes and decrescendoes), impressive articulation, DOESN'T SPLAT WHEN THEY PLAY ACCENTS, have equal contribution through all the parts in a section (Phantom most definitely was a serious offender of this one; their lower trumpets overblew horribly at louder dynamics this season), and has a challenging book in the categories of technicality, exposure (not hiding difficult passages behind other parts or the drumline), stylistic difficulty (extra credit goes to corps who correctly use jazz articulations and accent patterns).....then I'm impressed.

Actually, no, I'm not really impressed until I watch the corps PLAY ON THE MOVE, demonstrate musical control at larger step sizes, actually have a difficult show to execute visually while still performing at a consistant level as a brassline, and not give up by the end of their program. Honestly, I'm a sucker for difficulty, recently. Play a detailed, extensive, nuanced yet blatantly challenging book with some success and I'll honestly be at least somewhat impressed and willing to give credit. Get my ears to ring during the same show, and I'll consider standing up for it, haha.

Intonation, volume, cool music.....those things should hopefully be a given, really.

Sorry if I'm a tough critic. :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The volume of a drum corps is defining to a drum corps for that reason.

What brass player didn't get goosebumps during the first note of their first hornarc? Comon...

The volume of a drum corps is defining to a drum corps for that reason.

What brass player didn't get goosebumps during the first note of their first hornarc? Comon...

Very true....but not what the thread is asking though, keep that in mind. Otherwise, I do agree, and it's a point I always mention when showing someone a drum corps video.

So, how do you decide on YOUR favorite hornline?

It's the one wearing the Phantom Regiment uniform.

Very true....but not what the thread is asking though, keep that in mind. Otherwise, I do agree, and it's a point I always mention when showing someone a drum corps video.

No i was just responding to some of the other responses that didn't talk about volume.

the one that plays nothing but Concert F's.... all day.... and loves it.... :doh:

I think when deciding the best hornline, and jared kind of hinted at this, but I'd like to see the difference between design in music arrangement, visual design (performer simultaneous demands), and its influence and lack of influence on hornline execution.

I'm more picky about intonation than anything.

But if you don't have a good repretoire, it's not that interesting to listen to ya know?

I think when deciding the best hornline, and jared kind of hinted at this, but I'd like to see the difference between design in music arrangement, visual design (performer simultaneous demands), and its influence and lack of influence on hornline execution.

Very very very well put. :rolleyes: