Cadets

:rolleyes:

Probably shouldn't bring this up, but...while I disagree with the other poster that the Cadets were making a political statement with the pledge (that is how it's written, after all), I don't think the words "under God" should be in there. I do very much believe in God, but I don't believe we are "one nation under God." There are plenty of atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. in this country who do not believe in "a God," and I'm pretty sure they are American citizens as well. Keep government and religion completely as completely separate entities...besides, incorporating religion into the government takes away from its majesty relegates it to something much less special.

ha even though our country was founded by men who believed HEAVILY in GOD and that is what many of our laws are based off....the idea of one GOD. I'm not saying this is RIGHT or WRONG, but that is just how it is. American History for ya.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha even though our country was founded by men who believed HEAVILY in GOD and that is what many of our laws are based off....the idea of one GOD. I'm not saying this is RIGHT or WRONG, but that is just how it is. American History for ya.

Not denying that. I'm just saying I personally don't believe we are one nation under God. I like to think I belong to one religion under God, though.

Not denying that. I'm just saying I personally don't believe we are one nation under God. I like to think I belong to one religion under God, though.

fair enough.

fair enough.

Only on DCP would we able to resolve a religion debate in six or seven posts, while after tens of thousands we're still arguing about amplification... :P

No, I'm not. I thought the Cadets' drumspeak in 2005 was great.

Dude, you are a living, breathing, contradiction.

Amplified drum-speak = good.

No-amp pledge = good.

Amplified pledge = bad.

Amplified singing = bad.

And in regards to your "under God" meme.... All religions believe in a God. They just have different specific names. But all religions reference "God". The phrase, "One nation, under God" does nothing to single out one religion over another.

It's not that it's a surprise, but there are about a billion more Cadets haters than any other corps... You don't hear people bashing SCV, BD, Regiment, BC, Cavies, etc. etc. NEARLY as much as Cadets... This is fact.

That's probably because they threaten the tradition of drum corps more often as of late....whatever tradition means, right?

I personally like what the Cadets are doing lately. It's about time. DCI has always been too "good ole boy" for me, anyways.

Dude, you are a living, breathing, contradiction.

Amplified drum-speak = good.

No-amp pledge = good.

Amplified pledge = bad.

Amplified singing = bad.

Well, the amplified drum-speak would have been MUCH better unamped, but it was still pretty good. And the amplified singing, while I didn't like it (she completely overpowered the hornline), was the least of my amplification concerns. Once you start speaking words into a microphone, that's where it gets absolutely repulsive.

And in regards to your "under God" meme.... All religions believe in a God. They just have different specific names. But all religions reference "God". The phrase, "One nation, under God" does nothing to single out one religion over another.

Should atheists not be considered citizens or part of this nation? (By the way, most scientists in this country are atheists.)

Well, the amplified drum-speak would have been MUCH better unamped, but it was still pretty good. And the amplified singing, while I didn't like it (she completely overpowered the hornline), was the least of my amplification concerns. Once you start speaking words into a microphone, that's where it gets absolutely repulsive.

Should atheists not be considered citizens or part of this nation? (By the way, most scientists in this country are atheists.)

don't go that far. you should never use the word MOST unless you have the facts to prove it. sorry, i'm just big on facts...

Are we deporting them for being atheists? They don't believe in God, fine. They don't have to say it, and they don't have believe that God has anything to do with this, or any, nation. The people that founded this country, however, felt otherwise.

don't go that far. you should never use the word MOST unless you have the facts to prove it. sorry, i'm just big on facts...

The following is from the September 1999 issue of Scientific American:

Whereas 90% of the general population has a distinct belief in a personal god and a life after death, only 40% of scientists on the B.S. level favor this belief in religion and merely 10 % of those who are considered 'eminent' scientists believe in a personal god or in an afterlife.