Composers knowing about corps

Prior to the summer of 1979, Spirit of Atlanta was planning on playing "Nutville" which they picked up off a Buddy Rich album. As corps manager, it was one of my tasks to secure the rights to all the music we played. We could not, however, figure out who the composer was, and therefore who the publisher was. We tried and tried to no avail.

Desperate, since DCI was still telling me to "GET THE RIGHTS!" I called my uncle, who was a good friend of Buddy Rich's (he used to be Charlie Parker's lead singer, and was at that time, the music director for all Playboy Clubs worldwide). He gave me the name and phone number of Buddy's agent (a Mr. Alexander, if I recall correctly). I called Mr. Alexander and explained the situation. He had no idea how to help me, but since he knew my uncle (Connie Milano) he said, "Here, call this number and explain your situation."

I called the number and the voice at the other end said "Green Room." I was confused and said that Buddy Rich's agent had told me to call this number. The receptionist (as it turns out) said, "Oh, okay. Please hold."

The next voice said, "This is Buddy." I was on the phone with Buddy Rich, who was in the Green Room (waiting room) of the Johnny Carson Show, getting ready to go on in a couple minutes.

I stammered something about my uncle Connie (who Buddy immediately said he knew, etc.). I then quickly explained my situation. Buddy said they had tried to figure out the same thing that I was, never could, and just went ahead and recorded it. He told me it was a "bitc^& to play" and wished us the best of luck. That was that . . .

I went to rehearsal that night and told the corps the story. They were pumped. A few weeks later, Jim Clark (one of our staff members) stumbled upon an older version of Nuttville in a discount record store and we were able to get the info we needed.

Buddy contacted my Uncle after I sent him the Finals recording and said we had done a "great job" with the song.

So there's another famous composer/performer who knew about drum corps (though I believe Buddy visited Blue Devils once when they were performing some of his stuff a few years earlier).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed Nalle (Glad -- a capella group)

Ed Nalle, producer and writer/singer with the Christian acappella group "Glad" was happy to hear the music of his group would be used on the field by the Colts in 1998 as well -- "Crown Him With Many Crowns".

That is one incredibly talented group of guys i tell ya..GREAT SOUNDING a capella..if anyone hasn't heard them..you should. I need to get a hold of the Colts show from 98..and listen to that tune.

"Nuttville" was written by Horace Silver.

I know . . . now! :P

Here's my lead sop music to Nuttville, in Jim Ott's handwriting...

2284745430032437388bcWfxH_th.jpg

2230979560032437388XCYKif_th.jpg

Don't ya' just love the dynamic markings on the last line?! "fffffff --- Blowisimo!"

I remember hearing rumor that The Cavaliers performed their show for Michael Daugherty. Any truth to that?

I don't know if they (cavies) did, but Michael Daugherty DID marched drum corps........ back in the day