Composers knowing about corps

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've long wished to arrange an all-Metheney show and have Pat show up at a rehearsal- he doesn't live in Kansas City, but he grew up in the area, and his parents and brother do (the last I knew).

The Boston Crusaders performed an all-Metheney show in 1995.

Someone involved with the corps that season had some connections. They were able to get the corps to attend Pat's sound check when he performed at "Harborlights" on the Boston waterfront that summer. At the conclusion of the soundcheck, the corps did a standstill performance of the show for Pat and his entourage.

Pat was so impressed and pleased, that he invited the corps to be the opening act for him that evening. The corps then stayed and watched the remainder of the show for free.

It was one of the highlights of the 1995 season for all involved in the organization!

The 1984 Cadets had to get permission/release to perform West Side Story from Leonard Bernstein.....when the corps received permission, a thank you and an invite to come see the corps was sent to Bernstein. We received word in the summer that he was not going to be able to attend nationals, where he was invited to see the corps, as he had a conducting engagement. After finals, however, a telegram was received back in New Jersey, saying that he had seen the show on TV....congrats on a great job with my music and your championship...from Leonard Bernstein....very touching.

GB

The 1984 Cadets had to get permission/release to perform West Side Story from Leonard Bernstein.....when the corps received permission, a thank you and an invite to come see the corps was sent to Bernstein. We received word in the summer that he was not going to be able to attend nationals, where he was invited to see the corps, as he had a conducting engagement. After finals, however, a telegram was received back in New Jersey, saying that he had seen the show on TV....congrats on a great job with my music and your championship...from Leonard Bernstein....very touching.

GB

That's the best story yet!

I love Lenny!

Steven Melillo came out to Allentown in 1995 to see Crown perform "Stormworks". He seemed pleased with the result. Not sure if he is a fan of the activity.

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

Johan de Meij.

Is it true that he refuses to let any corps arrange his work because of the Cadet 1999 show?

Patriots did one of his pieces in 2001. However, I couldn't understand why he wouldn't allow someone to arrange his work because of a show. just out of curiosity, is this because he thinks they did a bad job? because he doesn't like corps? or something else? just wondering.

I know that Marquis out of Fond du Lac, WI did a David Foster show back in the early 90's and he actually critiqued them and helped them with their show a little. I think he came and saw a performance or practice, something like that.

John Tesh was pretty much still the Entertainment Tonight co-host when we played his music in 1991 - 1993 at Colts. He was quite thrilled that we would even consider using his music, and didn't charge a dime.

1991 Colts is one of my favorite shows.

I work with Chick Corea's son. I could ask him.

I'm prety sure that Chick marched in one accually, I just can't seem to recall the name of the corps or when he marched for the life of me.

"Nuttville" was written by Horace Silver.

It's "Nutville." It was on the Cape Verdean Blues album. With JJ Johnson, Joe Henderson, etc.

I can't believe that Buddy Rich wouldn't know that record. Particularly since the original version is scorching. It wasn't like it was on some obscure label...or by an obscure composer. If you know "Rikki Don't Lose that Number" by Steely Dan, you know Horace Silver...they lifted the piano thing from "Song for my Father."

Horace Silver rules...I'm a big fan. He had a remarkable string of albums that were nothing short of brilliant.