Composers knowing about corps

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck Mangione, and Chick Corea I'm sure they both know about drum corps, especially from the late 70's for Chuck !!

Chuck better. He co-hosted the PBS broadcast once.

Edited by Michael Boo

I know that the likes of Samuel Hazo, John Mackey, Aaron Copland, David Holsinger, Chick Corea, and many others know about corps, lets start a list and see who either can say what composers know about corps or have had some sort of story or contact about it. Sorry if this topic is a repeat.

Sam Hazo, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, used to coordinate and run the Pittsburgh DCI show.

Sam Hazo, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, used to coordinate and run the Pittsburgh DCI show.

I agree - he conducted one of his pieces with our band a few semesters ago.

Paul Stiller (Vox One)

John Rutter

Joseph Curiale

John Tesh

Ed Nalle (Glad -- a capella group)

Pat Metheny

Gordon Goodwin

I've had conversations with both Paul and Joe. . . it was Jay Kennedy who actually talked to the Vox One guys when I suggested the music to the Colts in 1998 . . . also spoke with Rutter's folks back in '96 for the Colts' rendition of "Magnificat". . . if Rutter's schedule had been more favorable, he was going to come meet the corps.

Joe Curiale is very aware of the drum corps activity, and considers himself a fan. I'm gonna say I helped get his music on the field for the first time in 2004 with the Troopers. . . even though Crown did play something more like a clip of one section of one of his pieces that same year. Joe was going to visit the Troopers in '04, but corps management had some difficulties following up on the opportunity.

John Tesh was pretty much still the Entertainment Tonight co-host when we played his music in 1991 - 1993 at Colts. He was quite thrilled that we would even consider using his music, and didn't charge a dime.

Ed Nalle, producer and writer/singer with the Christian acappella group "Glad" was happy to hear the music of his group would be used on the field by the Colts in 1998 as well -- "Crown Him With Many Crowns".

Pat Metheny knows all about drum corps, and when I spoke to his people in the studio (I called in the middle of a recording session) they were happy to hear "Heat of the Day" was going to hit the field.

Gordon Goodwin was a blast to talk to on the phone, when we talked about using "Count Bubba" with the '03 Crossmen as well. Neat guy, who just wanted to hear what we would do with the piece -- very enthusiastic supporter of any activity that would combine jazz and education!

Anyway. . . lots of folks know about drum corps. . . just not all of them support the use of their music. . .

best,

Chuck Naffier

Edited by man of the ages

Ed Nalle, producer and writer/singer with the Christian acappella group "Glad" was happy to hear the music of his group would be used on the field by the Colts in 1998 as well -- "Crown Him With Many Crowns".

Hope he felt that way when Glassmen did GLAD music in '95 and '96.

Well, at least '95. :D

I missed out on seeing GLAD perform at a local church here in Medina, Ohio. I had to work that night but I am a big fan of a capella and especially of GLAD's music and sound.

According to G.M. Kuzma's book about the '94 Blue Knights, James Curnow, composer of "Trittico for Brass Band", came out to BK rehearsals and talked to the corps about the music they were playing.

Did Alfred Reed visit PR in '84 when they played Armenian Dances? I've heard rumors to that effect.

Jennifer Higdon, composer of the music Boston used last year, was so ecstatic about her music hitting the drum corps field she plastered a scrolling message at the top of her website, as well as a message about how excited she was. Ms. Higdon also visited Boston during Finals week.

Of course, any drum corps arranger who wrote original compositions for their corps automatically get added to the list. :D