Stick taping: is it necessary?

azwethinkweizm

Two reasons:

1. Stick longevity - taped sticks live longer.

2. Visual - Taped sticks look better. Natural wood colour doesn't stand out.

Taping does change the balance of a stick, but I wouldn't say it ruins the balance. Most marching sticks I've used feel better taped.

I agree totally with Slow Adam. It would probably be better to use untaped sticks for I & E.

another endless debate topic. My thoughts

Sound better? Maybe. Its like anything else. Tape adds weight. makes the sound heavier if you tape alot.

Neccesary? No

Desireable? Yes for uniformity sake. Im looking at 3 different shades of the same model stick on my bookshelf right now

effect the sound? yes, but not for better or worse.

Plus some sticks are only offered in a certain varnish. Like the Thom AUngst stick. GREAT sticks! some of the best ever (indoor and outdoor models) but are only offered in a NASTY looking Maroon Varnish!( Green for indoor model) And i like white.

OVerall i do it for uniformity sake. If the sticks are well matched and pitch paired, and you can tape consistently, they will be cool with tape

Tony

Marines

Brigs

Bucs

VicFirth Team

Most corps are going with Stick taping job "B" to have the natural feel of the stick in the fulcrum. Some go with A and some with C. I know that Pioneer didn't have a set stick taping look a few years ago. Some of the snares had the look of stick "B" and some had the look of Stick C. Not trying to bash them, but it just irks me (look in the 2004 Program book, look at Pioneer's picture, it has three snareline members and the sticks are not in uniform.

I usually prefer Stick taping job A for the complete uniform look and also it doesn't screw up the remaining tape job.

Note: A is on the left, B is the middle and C is the right.

Nasty Maroon.... but great for The Cadets. :P Even though they'd get lost in the uniform and they would also need to tape. But I digress...

Haha! VERY true about their colors. I hope i didnt inadvertantly insult the Cadets colors! (any cadets, that wasnt the case! )

But yeah.. the color is cool, just not for sticks! lol

(out of curiosity, is Green also a cadet color historically? ASkin cuz of the Green Tom A. Stick).

Tone Tone

Stick tape is mearly a matter of preference. Honestly, you can tape up sticks so the whole line matches, and you can repair tape (rimshot area) for a clean look.

Does tape affect the sound? Barely if at all. Is tape hard to play with? Not once you get used to it. Why does everyone use white? Modern convention really.

Personally I like the colors Vic Firth is putting out now, and a whole line playing with some Aungst sticks would look great. A few days of rehearsal though and the sticks would take a beating and look crappy, so tape them up.