Question for any instructors out there...

be relaxed, be positive, and help them out.

instead of "WHY THE ($*#%&W AREN'T YOU ON YOUR DOT?!?!?!" maybe try "in this form try and be a little further to the left, ok? awesome"

"you missed that 3 times, take a lap!" turns into pulling them out and helping individually, or marching next to them as they go.

I really think the most important thing is to be more positive with your instructions, instead of negative (as they tend to be given in corps). And complement people when they do things that are good, it's worth the 2 seconds it takes to say "good job."

Now, if you want to instruct in a Drum Corps, well, I can't help you. I remember that many of my instructors in the Kavaliers were alums, but I don't think that's common (but I never marched anywhere else, so I could be wrong).

For a few years after I left High School I helped out with the band there. It was fun, and a learning experience.

First thing, and it's already been said, don't expect to get paid.

I got into that position from hanging around band camp and practices. Plus the director knew I'd marched (and was still marching) in a Drum Corps.

Be willing to help out. It was a small program, so it was often more important for me to be helping move the pit than setting drill. You might also be asked to drive the equipment truck to different performances, especially if the school's home stadium is far from the school. (This might not be a problem in a bigger program with more parents to help out)

Most Important (and this has also already been said): HS band students are not Drum Corps Members. You can't treat them the same as your Drum Corps instructors treat you. I was told I couldn't make the kids do pushups, or run laps. Yelling at them just makes them not want to cooperate. Use the "soft" approach. And the kids usually aren't as dedicated as Drum Corps Members. Expect that, and try to make the experience enjoyable for them.

And, whenever possible, pimp the Drum Corps activity. B) Be subtle. I just wore my Kavalier jacket to rehearsals and a few years later I find out that one of the girls I'd instructed was marching in the Oregon Crusaders.

And, whenever possible, pimp the Drum Corps activity. B) Be subtle. I just wore my Kavalier jacket to rehearsals and a few years later I find out that one of the girls I'd instructed was marching in the Oregon Crusaders.

Hehehe.... EVERY one of our instructors wears a drum corps shirt to practice. Most wear either the BD show shirt or the BD property shirt. A couple will get tired of those and wear Pacific Crest jackets or shirts. :)

And the one thing everyone has said so far in the topic is that there will be no money the first year :P But it's the thrill of seeing the group I help do well that I want to experience. It'd be fun to shape young minds.

Edited by smit90

-Learn from good instructors. Take the time to think through the strengths of instructors that taught you and work that into your teaching.

-Learn to break down WHY something looks bad, not just that it looks bad. There are so many instructors in this world that just tell students "Do X better" with no help in HOW to make it better.

-Ask your area/state director's organization if they have a classifieds/Help Wanted page.

Best of luck!

I marched until my age out year, moving from a small local corps to a DCI Champ. After aging out, I talked to every corps director I could and got a gig teaching for free. Second year, I got paid. Stayed there for a bit, then moved to another corps, using the network of friends and instructors from my earlier days.

Basically, networking is important, so is persistence. Talent is useful as well.

Good luck!

Start with your band or a div II corps and MEET PEOPLE!!!!

getting a job at a top corps is about getting your name out there and getting recognized.

Alot of it is simply who you know.

also, be prepared to work for chicken feed for the vast majority of your instructing career. LOL

Best of luck.