Retention

:laugh:

either i'm channeling you or you're channeling me. because word for word that is almost exactly what i said to someone last evening. :laugh:

We have ESPN :laugh:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a lot more than 2 cents, my friend. That's DRUM CORPS'!!!! If they make you feel like Family then you've found a home. :)

Yep that was certainly a big thing. I didn't see anyone left to sit in a corner eating lunch by themself. And to think I used to compete against these guys in the '80s......

Another thing - getting an ensemble together at the end of camp, if at all possible. It really makes you feel like you accomplished something and you are part of the collective effort, and it's exciting to hear it all together!

Elementary my dear Watson.......it's all about marketing and sales. If a prospective member walks in the door without knowing anyone, the first thing that you do is introduce yourself and shake their hand. Next, you learn their name and REMEMBER it. Then you introduce them to your corpsmates and tell them what you're doing and how well you're doing it. Learn everything about them that they're willing to tell you - show them that you're interested in them - that means a lot to a person, and above all make certain that they are never alone unless they have to use the bathroom.

at Shore, we made sure everyone was welcome. yeah, towards the end, we had a bunch of vets, but no one was made to feel unwelcome, and we always included new faces into any of reindeer games.

the biggest complaint i have heard is that vets can be intimidating, and some may not even know they are doing. just be cool, smile, say hi to all, and before you know it, you have people hooked for life.

that was the biggest thing that impressed me on my first visit to Empire in 2001......here we were, a bunch of guys from PA, and boom, we were welcomed by all. literall people just came up and said "hi, i'm...." and it went from there.

that was among the coolest things i've ever experienced

Kidnap children (and grandchildren!) and hold them hostage until the end of the season.

J/K ^0^

When Jan and I went to Renegades after a less-than-professional expulsion from Dream, we were made to feel like we belonged there. Though we couldn't complete the year, we're heading back for 2007.

Garry in Vegas

With any corps, like people are saying, you have to make a potential member feel like they are wanted there.

Saying that a person is needed may put too much pressure on that individual if they are new.

Having members to greet a potential member right as they walk through the door.

Getting them introduced right away to staff and their section.

Have them acknowledged to the whole corps so members (outside their section as well) know they should talk to them/introduce themselves.

Even before camp, if they've marched in junior corps, let them know that senior corps is different. They either may be expecting something (month tours, living on a bus, etc,) or weary if they have not played in a while and think then they can't do it.

The social events outside of rehearsals are very good. Make sure you let new members that you want them to come.

Make sure they know of people in their area in case they want to carpool. And then places that they can stay if they are from out of town.

Give a call, or send an email to potential new members in between camps (especially the first) to see how they're doing, how they enjoyed rehearsal, etc. But don't smother them.

In my humble opinion.

Retention starts with the corps staff.Having a solid game plan,meeting deadlines,keeping things on track and making the members feel like its thier corps is the key to a winning corps.

...Even before camp, if they've marched in junior corps, let them know that senior corps is different. They either may be expecting something (month tours, living on a bus, etc,) or weary if they have not played in a while and think then they can't do it....The social events outside of rehearsals are very good. Make sure you let new members that you want them to come...

This is very true. Making the transition from DCI to DCA can be something of a culture shock to some kids because they have to play with many corpsmates who are outside of the age group that they were normally accustomed to. They usually manage to adjust quickly though.

Kidnap children (and grandchildren!) and hold them hostage until the end of the season.

J/K ^0^

When Jan and I went to Renegades after a less-than-professional expulsion from Dream, we were made to feel like we belonged there. Though we couldn't complete the year, we're heading back for 2007.

Garry in Vegas

Im sorry to hear that happened.

In my humble opinion.

Retention starts with the corps staff.Having a solid game plan,meeting deadlines,keeping things on track and making the members feel like its thier corps is the key to a winning corps.

not just a winning corps, a successful and healthy corps.