With all of the inactives and movement...

Ok, that makes sense, just was a little confused, that's all.

Anyway I loved Impulse last year and I think they will do really well this year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They wanted to be competitive in D II with their show design, and yes, programming may have been different had they known what division they'd be in earlier in the season

Yeah, if you think about it, there are different mindsets in different divisions. In Div III, it tends to be shows that people would recognize or something enteretaining. Div II, I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's there. Div I usually has stories or many things that go on with themes so in a sense, Div I is more "theatrical".

*shows 2 pennies*

Yeah, if you think about it, there are different mindsets in different divisions. In Div III, it tends to be shows that people would recognize or something enteretaining. Div II, I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's there. Div I usually has stories or many things that go on with themes so in a sense, Div I is more "theatrical".

*shows 2 pennies*

Which largely explains with I have come to enjoy the Div II and III shows I have been to over the years as much if not more than the Div I. And I don't say that just because it's a Div II/III forum. I see a lot of what drum corps was in Div II and III. ECJ to me was channeling the old BD with their shows. From top to bottom in both divisions good stuff.

Who was the corps of inner city kids this year that marched in T-Shirts at finals and had some kids wailing away? They may not have had unis or much guard and flash but the kids could play and they looked like they were having the time of their lives.. :P

Who was the corps of inner city kids this year that marched in T-Shirts at finals and had some kids wailing away? They may not have had unis or much guard and flash but the kids could play and they looked like they were having the time of their lives.. :P

That was Vision Elite from Brooklyn, NY, a very talented corps of kids whose staff is doing a great job. According to their website they have over 50 members:

http://www.brooklynmusicandartsprogram.org/visionelite.html

From top to bottom in both divisions good stuff.

Very true. :)

Just a reminder. Just because someone marched at a good corps or winterguard, not to put down any of the staff memebers since they must be good if they got hired, doesn't necessarily mean they are amazing teachers.

True, but the excellence of a unit a person performs with is usually an indication their training was good.

Ambition is also a good factor.

But like on the TV show "the apprentice" it doesn't matter if you run a successful business or graduate from Notre Dame or Harvard with a business degree.

Performance quality to complete a task and how well you work with the team makes all the difference.

my 2 cents

Now granted, of those 300 trying out, how many would be trying out if Impulse hadn't won? You see, it's easy to get numbers when you have a ring in your title from the previous year.

Not true, Impulse only had a little over 100 brass people register over their website, over 60 actually visted, and only 30 something horns have shown from what I was told by my buddies over there.

I know the guys at Impulse were hoping for more horns than that, but it seems Impulses main draw is percussion.

Edited by thebaritoneguy

I believe that's because their Percussion Head (correct me if I'm wrong) had a video floating around the internet of one of his pretty insane snare solos.. That might be what the big percussion draw is.

But honestly, who doesn't have a large percussion draw??

*shows 2 pennies*

Don't get me wrong, I love division 3, but I believe it'd be rare to find someone that thought a division 3 show last year was more entertaining than Cavies or Academy.

Edited by Hipposduck

Don't get me wrong, I love division 3, but I believe it'd be rare to find someone that thought a division 3 show last year was more entertaining than Cavies or Academy.

In all honesty ... "more entertaining" ... that would be me. I can actually think of a few.

This is not intended as a put-down of either Cavies or Academy, who both put on highly polished, well planned, well executed, very entertaining shows, which deserved and received much praise and award. I enjoyed their shows.

We are talking personal preference here. I guess I am just "rare."