Too Many Props!

SBrancheau

So very true.... :angry:

P.S. I have 10/10 vision if you know what that is. Ted Williams had it, last free check up they were calling me Ted, no there's nothing wrong with my vision, only your attitude!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just keep going, on and on and on....this is why originally when I saw your name I was NOT going to post under it. It's always a battle with you.

You see what you want to see, and I'll see what I see, I answer to no one and especially not you. I'm right no you're right, please.

I don't have to prove anything to you, you're always correct, trust me, you are!!! I worship you!

Edited by LancerFi

What that you're an irritant on purpose? We already knew that Lucas. No need to justify. We're down.. :P B)

What that you're an irritant on purpose? We already knew that Lucas. No need to justify. We're down.. :P B)

Ya know, I really don't have a problem that anyone disagrees with me on any subject.

Honestly, I don't. I will admit that I am passionate about what I believe in and I can be

relentless when I want to be in regards to defending my position. If that comes off as

a bad attitude, then that's unfortunate for me, I guess. It is not my intent. I've tried to

present logical arguments to this discussion, citing that any prop examples given are

relatively minor in nature, if not specifically limited to one corps using them. I don't

feel as if I have crossed any line in this thread. Yet I get called out for being "sorry", for

having an "attitude problem", bowing down to worship me as if I think I'm omnipotent on

all things drum corps, and being an "irritant on purpose."

Let's just not pretend that I'm the only one with attitude perception issues here...

Okay, since I started this tomato-fest, I'll jump in...

Why did Spirit NEED ratchets? Why spin tires? Does it enhance the music? NO! Did it up their GE points? Prob'ly not.

Lucas, if it's only out there to be out there, why have it? Give us some justification besides, "because I can"...in my book, that's not a valid reason. You can't tell me that picking up a flag and waving it/spinning it/showing it for 8 counts is justification enough.

Maybe I'd be more open minded about it if I understood the reasoning behind it...

But, watching high schools in competition, the props were WAY out of hand...and they're getting it from drum corps. Most of the trend in high schools come from the drum corps.

Lucas, your arguments better be compelling...but I don't think they will be.

Lucas,

In 1978 I attended WGI western regionals. I saw at least 20 colorguards during finals. Out of that twenty, only one guard danced during their show. I went back 4 years later and just about everyone had included some dance moves.

I do not know who started using double flags in the late 70's, but by the time I was in the Cavies in 1979 at least 5 colorguards were using them on the field.

The point I am trying to make is it only takes a few to start a trend. Especially if those few are in the top 12. Look at dance, only a few(a minority) were doing it, now you can't field a guard without doing it.

Props just like dance can be very effective if done in moderation. That is not happening. Props are becoming the show, and dance is replacing difficult and hard to clean rifle, flag, and sabre work. And the trend is getting worse. The Seattle Imperials(the one guard that did dance in the 78 WGI finals) NEVER put their weapons down , not even for 3 seconds.

Some guards now put their equipment down for whole songs.

What is a minority now is a flood tomorrow. If the minority are already being excessive, then I am scared about 2,3 or maybe 5 years from now. :angry:

The same argument you make about props was the same arguement they were making about dance when it hit the scene. Everyone was telling me " only a few guards are doing it so don't worry". Well those few have now become ALL.. What makes you think that props won't be any different since it is already being used excessively now.

Lucas, if it's only out there to be out there, why have it? Give us some justification besides, "because I can"...in my book, that's not a valid reason.

If there is no other justification for it to be there, other than "just because" then

I am not in favor of it. If you look at my original post in this thread, my contention

was that if used properly, props and such can really enhance a show (and gave

a specific nod to SCV who used them masterfully, IMO). It stands to reason, then,

if they are NOT used properly, and are just there to be there, then they can distract

and do more harm than good. The only other contention I made, and stand by, is

that the use is not that widespread. A flag used for 8 counts is not, IMO, a prop.

I am speaking specifically about items that are not flags, rifles, or sabers.