'94 PR Clair de Lune

Two close calls:

#1. In 1992, we were of course performing the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky. A few minutes before the show went on, fireworks went off at the stadium next to the one we were performing at...it was a minor league baseball game. If we had not been delayed at the gate, we might have been playing 1812 as fireworks went off...that would have been cool.

#2. I understand it was very cold at DCI Finals in 1987. It would have been perfect GE for Regiment had there been some snow.

Now...who is this? You marched Regiment in 1994?

It was not cold in 87 - rather warm actually. 82 and 92 were the COLD years at Finals (and I think I did in fact see some snow flurries walking into the stadium in Montreal in 82).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about 98 in Orlando when Magic took the field. They started the show, the heavens opened, the deluge of rain hit, and Magic pouring it on themselves. INCREDIBLE performance from that corps in Semi-Finals.

In 86 Sky Ryders, we were performing for the home town crowd. During the opener when we hit the tornado set (Wizard of Oz show), the real tornado sirens went off. The stands cleared, and we ran off the field for cover.

There's a neat camera shot from either semifinals or finals in '92...i think it was finals...at the end of the Crossmen "Songs For Planet Earth" show of our soprano soloist playing backfield, and you can see the moon above the back stands of the stadium. Kinda neat for the "earth" show to have that shot...well done, camera people!

#2. I understand it was very cold at DCI Finals in 1987...

Nikk, it was SO cold one year in Madison I actually went to a number of stores on Saturday morning to try to buy a stocking cap. None had them in stock. I even went to the University of Wisconsin bookstore to see if they had any Bucky Badger hats and they weren't in stock as well. It was quite chilly. One year in Montreal DCI World Finals was also frigid, but earlier in the day was fine.

Edited by Michael Boo

That was a stupid-sick situation. I was marching Northern Aurora that summer, and we were told that when we did our quarterfinals performance in the afternoon, the on-field temperature was 130 degrees. It was 90+ all week in Jackson, MS, humid as all get out,w with zero chance of rain. Unless you were the Madison Scouts at finals. It rained -no, PORED- only for intermission and their entire show. Then stopped. Amazing.

Like was said above, if anything, I think it helped their performance. They took it as an affront.

The rain came as a HUGE surprise to me. This was before I was using a laptop for my notes for whatever I was writing for DCI and I left my box in the press box and walked down one level to the intermission snacks. Then the monsoon came in. I immediately ran back upstairs and my open notebook was drenched before I could pull the window down. Perhaps others in the stands could see the rain coming, but I couldn't from the press box. It hit quite suddenly and not until intermission (for the PBS broadcast, I'm guessing) started.

Fanfare column about Phantom's Clare de Lune

Here's an emotional story about Phantom Regiment's performance of "Clare de Lune." It starts ten paragraphs from the bottom.

There are lots of great memories mentioned in this thread. You know what's coming next. I'm ALWAYS looking for memories from DCI corps and shows for DCI.org's Fanfare column, from corps members, instructors, parents, the audience...

Please send yours to boomike@dci.org. Thank you.

Edited by Michael Boo

Fanfare column about Phantom's Clare de Lune

Here's an emotional story about Phantom Regiment's performance of "Clare de Lune." It starts ten paragraphs from the bottom.

Michael,

Thank you for bringing attention to that story...I'd never read it before, and I too was moved...and grateful that I was a part of the 1994 Regiment. If you know me, you know that 1994 was my least favourite of the years I marched...knowing that I was a part of something that affected someone in this manner makes the experience better.

How about 98 in Orlando when Magic took the field. They started the show, the heavens opened, the deluge of rain hit, and Magic pouring it on themselves. INCREDIBLE performance from that corps in Semi-Finals.

In 86 Sky Ryders, we were performing for the home town crowd. During the opener when we hit the tornado set (Wizard of Oz show), the real tornado sirens went off. The stands cleared, and we ran off the field for cover.

Ha-ha!! Leave it to my other corps to thrill me with such a thing! We had a tornado warning in '92 somewhere (pun)--don't remember if it was midwest or out east. I just remember getting out of retreat on that one (yes!).

Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo! (witch's theme from 'Oz')

Great story, Tim! Hey, you're one of the Hutch alum--check out my post about the '92 corps in a minute. We didn't have much contact with the Hutch corps--you may get a kick out of some of the stories people relive!!

Michael,

Thank you for bringing attention to that story...I'd never read it before, and I too was moved...and grateful that I was a part of the 1994 Regiment. If you know me, you know that 1994 was my least favourite of the years I marched...knowing that I was a part of something that affected someone in this manner makes the experience better.

O-M-G!! Here, here--I second Nikk. '94 was my only year with PR and I have been disappointed that it wasn't an "odd year" show. Those who know PR from '89 to '97 know it was kind of an every-other year thing. '94 was an even year despite the final placement.

But SHAZAM--fast forward to today and I am amazed with the comments about our show that year. OK, it still isn't '93, but hearing people (6+?) mention Clair de Lune in their top 5 means a lot!

Then hearing about Ms. Williams sentiments? :angel:

Wow! Thanks Mike. And thank YOU, Ms. Williams!