KING Bb CONTRA

FEVER

What I'm really wondering is how many of those 4th valve valve-stems are going to accidentally get sheared off this summer? That single valve on the back side of the horn looks like an accident waiting to happen. It's always a pain in the butt when the stem shears off and the threaded part is still left in the casing. Paul Collins always loves trying to fix these at shows.

Oy...I can only imagine. I had a young student one time who managed to do that to his horn, though I can't remember how he did it. "You can fix it, right?" Sorry, kid, not my department. The most fun, though, is when someone's dad tries to fix an instrument, like pulling out a stuck slide with a wrench...yikes.

But, I digress. It's an early design, so we'll see how it works out. I'd be interested in play-testing one sometime, just to see how it plays.

Yeah, I'm hoping UMI brings one to TMEA next week. I was going to play one at Midwest, but everytime I went by their booth there were a bunch of kids playing around with the horn.

Dang kids! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Got to spend some time on this horn at TMEA this past week. I must say that although the left side 4th valve frees up the right hand pinky in holding the horn at attention, I do not like the valve placement at all. I couldn't decide which finger works better on the awkward thing. Anyone know which finger UMI intended for us to use? I was wrong in my earlier post about the valve sticking out and being prone to being sheared off. It is protected behind a slide, which is what made it difficult to press. I couldn't remember it's exact placement from my short time holding it at Midwest.

Like all King tubas, it's compact with a narrower-than-most bore so it isn't the most free-blowing tuba. But I've never played any King that is. I found that it didn't balance as well as the new Yamaha I had just played and it felt way heavier.

Although the horn plays very well, in fact much like the new King 2341, it's so awkward and heavy that I'm glad my guys will be playing the new set of Yamahas.

you guys do know that the design of these instruments have not been finalized yet, so hold your horses. The guy I talked to from king at a convention said that they were going to continually alter and perfect the instrument over the winter season before it was finalized, and again next season.

~rusty