KING Bb CONTRA

FEVER

I just had an opportunity to play on the new King Bb Contra (notice how I avoid the term tuba). I loved it. It's smaller than a Kanstul, yet it plays a lot better. It sounds like my King Tuba. Ok, so maybe I'm a bit bias.

I like the 4th valve placement. It's on the left side and you use your left hand to operate it. It would have been better if it was a rotary valve instead of a piston, but it was nice. It's shorter than the other contras I've played, so drill writers will be able to have contras move in tighter spaces with a better probability of not hitting the horn.

I think I'll get me some for my program.

;)^

I played the King/Conn (UMI, whatever it is) at the NAMM show in anahiem and found the fourth valve position awkward, as far as playing better than a Kanstul, I've always liked the Kanstul KCB201better than the Kanstul Grande although it's a smaller bell diameter and easier to rattle, I found it easier to play. I did like the King ok though.

Dan Zeilinger

Head caption/Arranger

Impulse

I just had an opportunity to play on the new King Bb Contra (notice how I avoid the term tuba). I loved it. It's smaller than a Kanstul, yet it plays a lot better. It sounds like my King Tuba. Ok, so maybe I'm a bit bias.

I like the 4th valve placement. It's on the left side and you use your left hand to operate it. It would have been better if it was a rotary valve instead of a piston, but it was nice. It's shorter than the other contras I've played, so drill writers will be able to have contras move in tighter spaces with a better probability of not hitting the horn.

I think I'll get me some for my program.

;)^

Can you see to the left?One problem I noticed with the Yamaha Bb convertables is it is difficult to dress left.

Edited by JeromeyBush

I was able to evaluate the new King Contra last weekend at Fever rehersal, and I definitely like it. It plays very well. A lot more like a tuba than a marching horn. My only problem with it, is the position of the thumb ring, but ####, that's a stupid complaint. So, overall I give the horn my approval.

Fourth valve on the side reminds me of a compensating horn.

I think that's where they got the idea. This horn is easier to hold than the other 4 valvers b/c your right hand pinky is freed up. If this design proves effective, then we just might start seeing our other manufacturers start copying this valve placement.

I have to say, though, that I would think it would be rather awkward. Normally one hand does most of the work holding it up while the other uses the valves; now both have to operate valves. When you're dealing with a lighter weight P/R contra it's probably no big deal, but I can see it becoming a pain on a larger horn

Dave, you may be right. It may prove to be too awkward. As I said... if this design proves effective, then we may see others copying.

With the left hand now being occupied with a valve, I can see how this design might cause some handling issues when the horn is in playing position. But I bet it's a heck of a lot easier to hold at attention than any other 4 valver.

If the left hand 4th valve proves to be a handling issue for the Regiment tubas this season, I can see them only using it during times when they're not marching demanding drill (like during the ballad).

What I'm really wondering is how many of those 4th valve valve-stems are going to accidentally get sheared off this summer? That single valve on the back side of the horn looks like an accident waiting to happen. It's always a pain in the butt when the stem shears off and the threaded part is still left in the casing. Paul Collins always loves trying to fix these at shows.