Brass & Percussion I&E Championships

This question may be naive but, why are these "championships" and other events sponsored by MEA being held so early in the DCA season? I'm just hoping for some insight into the planning of this event. I'm sure the target performers are in the NE, however, in the future some organizations West of the Appalachians may consider being involved in your events. Should that be the case, are there plans for other events later in the season in the foreseeable future?

Back in the old days when drum corps was more of a year round activity, I&E contests and indoor concerts were standard late winter, early spring fare. Glad to see some old traditions making a reappearance.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are mini corps actually part of DCA? Does DCA play any hand in scheduling their competitions, apart from finals weekend? Are there many sponsors out the requesting permission to sponsor a mini corps event? Lastly, how many mini corps have received either notice of or an invitation to an event west of the Appalachians? Put out there for discussion.

I'll let the great people behind MCA speak for the organization, and I'm sure they'll chime in here.

I WILL say that they have a great idea and are taking the development of it carefully and thoughtfully.

Speaking for a corps that will participate in this area:

I created CB! to be a "corps-like" brass ensemble that could explore the performance possibilities (mostly local) outside of the DCA competitive arena - basically a performance opportunity for us retired players who couldn't meet the heavy "seasonal" demands of DCA.

Both the MCA and new events like the BHOF Championships have brought us an unexpected bonus:

A chance to be involved in the senior corps activity (occaisionally) - while still conforming to our original intent for the group.

Edited by brassomaniac

Are mini corps actually part of DCA? Does DCA play any hand in scheduling their competitions, apart from finals weekend? Are there many sponsors out the requesting permission to sponsor a mini corps event? Lastly, how many mini corps have received either notice of or an invitation to an event west of the Appalachians? Put out there for discussion.

To end some of the confusion let me chime in. The DCA does not have a Mini Corps class. They have Open and Class A competitive classes.

We began running a Mini Corps championship at our I&E about 12 years ago., This was because of a grow of Brass ensembles and request from some groups. The rules for this event are designed to be flexible, because the running of the Championship depends on the Venus.

We are proud to support the Mini Corps movement and aid where we can. However, The DCA is not promoting any Mini Corps shows except for our Championships.

Any questions feel free to write me at DCAie2007

To end some of the confusion let me chime in. The DCA does not have a Mini Corps class. They have Open and Class A competitive classes.

We began running a Mini Corps championship at our I&E about 12 years ago., This was because of a grow of Brass ensembles and request from some groups. The rules for this event are designed to be flexible, because the running of the Championship depends on the Venus.

We are proud to support the Mini Corps movement and aid where we can. However, The DCA is not promoting any Mini Corps shows except for our Championships.

Any questions feel free to write me at DCAie2007

Thanks to Dick Pronti, and to DCA for supporting the mini-corps activity.

They don't need to have another "division", but I think that there are benefits to DCA, and to the activity, in tapping into and supporting this growing movement.

Here is a list of the current members of the Buglers Hall of Fame

Name Instrument Affilliation

2005 INDUCTEES

Arietano, John (Screech) Soprano Sunrisers, York White Roses, Buc's

Ariola, Ruben Baritone Brassmen, Skyliners

Burns, Richard (Dick) Soprano Blessed Sacrament

Centorino, jim Soprano Boston Crusaders, Matadors

Chalmus, John (Baby) Baritone Blessed Sacrament

Clarke, Kenton Soprano St. Raphael's, Skyliners

D'Amico, Jimmy Soprano Caballeros

DeFiglia, Joe Soprano Loretto, Skyliners

Dorritie, Frank Soprano Queensmen, Sunrisers

Eyler, Ray Soprano Archer-Epler

Ferguson, Maynard

Gaff, Bobby Baritone St. Kevin's, Bs, Yankee Rebels

Guarino, Johnny Soprano Bronx Kingsmen, Skyliners

Hayward, Eddie Soprano St. Kevin's, BS Alumni

Hightower, Billt Baritone Queensmen, Sunrisers, Skyliners

Hylwa, Art Soprano Hurricanes,

Laus, Riggie Soprano Pittsburg Rockets

Maldonado, Jimmy Soprano Brassmen, Skyliners

Martin, Tommy Soprano USAF, Skyliners

Moratta, Gene Soprano Our lady of Lourdes, Caballeros

Petersen, Ken (Ace) Soprano Appleknockers, St. Joe's Alimni

Ponzo, Frank Soprano Sunrisers, Caballeros

Price, Richard Soprano Matadors, Sunrisers

Richardson, George Soprano Brassmen, Skyliners

Richmond, Cliff Baritone St. Raphael's, Caballeros

Simpson, John Baritone USAF, Skyliners

Swan, Tom (Bucky) Soprano St. Joe's Cadets, Skyliners

Urspruch, John (Grass) Soprano CW Townsmen, USAF, Skyliners

2006 INDUCTEES

Bergdoll, Frank Jr French Horn St Kevins

Chez, Al Soprano Edison Saints, Garfield, David Lettermen Band

Delmonte, George Soprano Lourdes, St Ann's, Caballeros

DelVecchio, Mike Soprano Dover Cadets, Caballeros

Fesler, Ernie Soprano Con Edison, Skyliners

Hayes, Bill Soprano Gabarina, Skyliners, Caballeros

Kievet, Jeff Soprano Muchachos

Sasso, Ted Jr Contra Sunrisers

Thompson, Bonnie (Ott) Mellophone Blue Devils

Any interested player who's undecided about competing should consider coming for the Master Class and the social hang. I hear there will be a kind of "open mic" (without the mic) segment for those who'd just like to blow a few favorite licks in a "jam session" atmosphere. Ruben, Kenton, Bobby Gaff, Cliff Richmond and I had a ball doing this at the first BHOF gathering.

The show is being sponsored by Kanstul Musical Instruments.

The " Best In Show" will win a Kanstul special edition Gold Plated Bugle!!!

This is the 1st time in Drum Corps that an individual would receive an award worth thousands of dollars.

Calling Buglers of all ages.

Come on out and go for the GOLD!!!!!

www.kanstul.com

Thanks a million to Zig, Charles and staff at Kanstul for making fine instruments for over 25 years now.

And a special thanks to Zig for his personal development of the bugle for over 5 decades!!

Look forward to seeing everyone at this historic event.

From the members of the Buglers Hall of Fame