BRIDGEMEN TOS SHOW

The Buccaneers are looking forward to it!

Tom

The Buccaneers are one of the corps I never seen in my entire drum corps career !!!!!!! I truly want to fix that on the night of the TOS.

I heard great things about this corp and am looking forward to seeing it for myself, in person and in my face ; )))))

See ya in Bayonne

Rick Tabor

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YO! PULLO!!!

Just 13 days away from the huge gathering of legions & chariots at the Coliseum By The Bay in the port of Bayonne!!!

There will be much fun & merriment, some intense & exciting emotions, some incredible entertainment, good food & drink, and a wonderful display of brotherhood (and sisterhood) will abound throughout the entire day, and night, at this colossal event, sponsored by our very own BAYONNE BRIDGEMEN!!!

We look forward to seeing our extended drum corps family in Bayonne, at this exciting event!!!

13th!!!

Vorenus

JimmyBo,

What a way with words.

You have captured the essence of the experience 13 days before hand.

I can't wait.

Charlie

Spotlight on the Performers

Did You Know....

Jim Russo was supposed to become the drum major for the Skyliners while

"Butch" Anderson was supposed to become the drum major for the Caballeros?

Yep, this is a well known fact.

Both Butch was and Jimmy is a great guy.

I think the way it worked was a Godsend.

Darth

Edited by cvayda

The Buccaneers are one of the corps I never seen in my entire drum corps career !!!!!!!

Wow, then you are in for a real treat.

I remember competing against the 79-80 Buc powerhouse, what a repetoire.

I, to this day, love listening to the records, and the flawless brass performance.

And to think, Matt K was there !!!

Darth

Edited by cvayda

Spotlight on Staff

Did You Know....

Matt Hurley is the color guard choreographer for both the Jersey Surf and Bridgemen Alumni?

TOSpubl_Hurley.jpg

Top left: Matt Hurley playing mellophone with the Bayonne Kidets (circa 1982), photo courtesy of Drum Corps World.

Top right: Matt with the Bayonne Bridgemen at a 1983 rehearsal, photo courtesy of Bob Haley.

Bottom center: Matt with the Bridgemen Alumni, holding his birthday present (made by Lori-Ann Law) at a November 2005 rehearsal, photo courtesy of Mary Lou "Cookie" Stanton.

Matt began his drum corps career in the hornline of the Bridgemen feeder corps, the Kidets. He proved himself a capable musician and scored a mellophone solo with them. But his destiny awaited with different equipment.

While in 5th or 6th grade, Matt befriended Lori-Ann Skibbie and Candace Hart. He begged them to teach him some guard basics, which set him on course to a new lifelong passion. He sought out others to learn from and improved steadily. His dedication to his craft emboldened him to try to join the Bridgemen color guard, but was hit with the news that the guard only admitted girls! So he picked up a flugel horn and made the most of the experience in the 1983 Bridgemen hornline.

The following year, Bobby Hoffman chose Matt to be "Baby New Year" at the close of the 1985 "Christmas in July" portion of the show. Matt didn't want to do it, but Bobby was determined and demanded, "Am I gonna have to call your mother!?" Matt cried, "Alright, fine, I'll do it!"

Matt finally got to pursue his first love and developed his guard precision & dancing grace with top units, like the Sunrisers senior corps & the Emerald Marquis winter guard.

He went on to become a gifted choreographer, where he created inspired flag and rifle choreography for several winter guards (like ComplXity & Black Watch) and corps color guards (like Sunrisers & Phoenix).

TOSpubl_JersSurf06_CR.jpg

The Jersey Surf in 2006. Photos courtesy of corpsreps.com, where you can find MORE great corps photos.

Matt began choreographing/instructing the Jersey Surf's color guard in 2004. Surf's guard projects elegance and grace when they take the field. Surf is out to take their corps to the next level this year and we can't WAIT so see what's in store for us this season.

And now Matt's the central figure of the Bridgemen color guard.... but still can't put on a uniform because it's again an all-girl guard!

Look for Matt cheering for his girls on the front sidelines of Veteran's Stadium on June 23rd.

Drum Corps member:

Bayonne Kidets - hornline (1979-1983)

Bayonne Bridgemen - hornline (1983-85)

Sunrisers - color guard (1988-1999)

Winter Guards member:

Bayonne Kidets (1986)

Trieste (1987)

Alter Ego (1988)

Conquest (1989-1990)

Emerald Marquis (1991)

Drum Corps instructed:

Bayonne Raiders (1991-1996)

Sunrisers (1998-1999)

Phoenix (2001-2004)

Jersey Surf (2004-present)

Bridgemen Alumni (2005-present)

Winter Guards instructed:

Stardust (1991-1997)

Just Class World Guard (1998-2001)

ComplXity Winter Guard (2001-2005)

Black Watch World Guard (2006-present)

Catch all the talent that will thrill audiences at

Tournament of Stars on Saturday, June 23rd!

Check out more about the Bridgemen when you....

GoToBridgemenCom.gif

Bmen_ClrGrd2007.gif

Did You Know....

Jimmy McBride was the original pick for the drum seat of "Kool and the Gang" back in 1975-1976, when they broke into the business in Jersey City, NJ?

Jimmy plays a mean Double Bass Kit and has impressed a great many with his fierce ablility. Instead Jimmy's life would take another direction, as he pursued his two passions: Motorcycles and Big Band/Rock Drumming.

TOSpubl_JimmyMcB.jpg

Left to right: Jimmy McBride (snare, front line) and Ruth Ann Cooper (cymbals, back line).

Jimmy McBride, from Jersey City, was a member of St. Andrew's Kidets and joined the Bridgemen for the 1968 season.

His younger brothers were also drummers, but Jim was by far the most talented. Jim's last year in the Bridgemen was 1976.

Jimmy was with the corps as it transitioned from the shakos to the scarves and was part of the fabric that held the corps together during the turbulent 1974-1975 seasons.

Bobby Farrell always admired the 1974-1975 corps and they own a special place in his Bridgemen memories since they were the backbone of the 1976-1977 corps.

Jimmy and his contra bass buddy, Pat Forker, devised the "faint" at Wildwood after the 1976 VFW State Championships. After an exhausting rehearsal all afternoon at Maxwell Field (before the final run-through), the word was spread that all sections would collapse at the end. Bobby Hoffman remembered the episode and threw in for the 1976 DCI finals.  

Jim's nickname was "Duff" or "McDuff" (or "Lard ###," per Bert Lynch!), and is a dedicated Big Band Jazz Drum Set player. His idol is Buddy Rich and Jimmy is an avid collector of Buddy Rich memorabilia.

Jim is an avid Harley Rider and Motorcycle builder, who customizes his own Bikes.

Jim joined the Skyliners Alumni in 2001 and his having the time of his life with his newfound family.

Thanks to Charlie Vayda & Steve Ventre for the info!

Bnr_Bmen_TOS07_DCP.gif

Edited by attreides

Spotlight on Staff

Did You Know....

Matt Hurley is the color guard choreographer for both the Jersey Surf and Bridgemen Alumni?

this season.

(edited...)

And now Matt's the central figure of the Bridgemen color guard.... but still can't put on a uniform because it's again an all-girl guard!

Let's not forget that Matt won the I & E Rifle competition as a Bridgemen in 2005!!! :worthy:

Let's not forget that Matt won the I & E Rifle competition as a Bridgemen in 2005!!! :doh:

REALLY!?

So Matt got to perform in a Bridgemen Alumni uniform after all.

He sure found a clever way to pull it off.... and prove his abilities along the way.

Smiley_RifleStkr.gif

TOSpubl_JimmyMcB.jpg

Left to right: Jimmy McBride (snare, front line) and Ruth Ann Cooper (cymbals, back line).

Bnr_Bmen_TOS07_DCP.gif

Great photo of Jimmy and Ruth Ann!!! :doh:

I didn't know that Jimmy was a big band drummer...They're very hard to come by! Gonna have to give him a shout, and have him sit in with my band!!!

Only 11 days till TOS!!!

Get your tix early and save $$$

HYPE!!!

Only 10 days till TOS!!! :D

Get your tix early & save $$$ :lol:

H Y P E ! ! ! ^OO^