marching tubas/BBb 'contrabasses'

Penn State

Curious to fing out what you guys think. How do the Yamaha marching tuba stack up against the Dynasty marching tuba. I've played the Dynasty and wasn't thrilled with it. I haven't played a Yamaha marching only horn and was wondering if anyone has?

Info I'm looking for:

1) the overal sound

2) projection

3) intonation (eg any bad notes?)

4) balance for marching

5) valve placement

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that the 3/4 and 4/4 horns aren't much to talk about, but the 5/4 horn is outstanding.

This is what I've heard from a few different people.

I haven't really gotten much time on the 4/4's or 3 valve versions. But my understanding is that the 3 valve version isn't horrid, but not really something to write home about either. The 5/4 degs are pretty good horns. Not being much of a tuba or contra person, I think my Conn 20J plays better than a Deg 5/4 tuba.

The only Yamaha I've played on was the 201(or similar), and it was awkward with regards to the valve positioning. It was actually a good playing horn, although it didn't seem to have much projection. And I've found out since then from other people that have used them that those particular Yamaha's tend to not hold up to the abusive nature of field shows and even parades.

FWIW from a Euphonium guy who's played mello and soprano about as much as he has Euph in the past couple years. And who just picked up playing tuba the Christmas before last.

Curious to fing out what you guys think. How do the Yamaha marching tuba stack up against the Dynasty marching tuba. I've played the Dynasty and wasn't thrilled with it. I haven't played a Yamaha marching only horn and was wondering if anyone has?

Info I'm looking for:

1) the overal sound

2) projection

3) intonation (eg any bad notes?)

4) balance for marching

5) valve placement

The corps I'm working with is using the Yamaha horn....the intonation and overall sound in the upper register is very thin and weak. There are also some interesting design issues in the placement of the tubing that makes it akward to hold the horn. I liked the Dynasty when I marched in 2003, but I'd have to try it again now that I can actually play some notes. Design is beautiful on the Dynasty. Weight is about the same on both horns. I've suggested (and our section agrees) that when we can purchase new horns, try going away from Yamaha.

Edited by tubawarrior

The Dynasty, model 010-M875, 4/4size marching BBb Tuba is FABULOUS. Buy it, you'll love it!

David